I see all these posts about eating 1200 cals a day.....

Options
I see all these posts about eating a minimum of 1200 calories a day to lose weight. I am eating 1200 - 1300 calories most days and then also burning about 200 - 280 working out. I do not feel hungry at all during the day and seem to be eating good portions of food, they are just lower calorie foods, such as veggies, fruits, and proteins. Is it OK to NET approximately 1000 calories a day if I am actually eating 1200+ and burning 200 - 280 a day?

Replies

• josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Sure. Your body will tell you if it isn't. :)
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    You're body will tell you if it needs more calories in a day. Personally, eating at my BMR is what allows me to lose weight.... MFP gave me 1200 calories per day and I wasn't really losing anything so I have upped my caloric intake.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I see all these posts about eating a minimum of 1200 calories a day to lose weight. I am eating 1200 - 1300 calories most days and then also burning about 200 - 280 working out. I do not feel hungry at all during the day and seem to be eating good portions of food, they are just lower calorie foods, such as veggies, fruits, and proteins. Is it OK to NET approximately 1000 calories a day if I am actually eating 1200+ and burning 200 - 280 a day?

Put it this way - if you start feeling like things are not going so well, any thing that happens out of the norm for you, just talk with your doctor.

There are days all I CAN get in is 1000 calories because of my line of work.... but I still eat extremely healthy with the meals I am capable of having..

Tonight I know I will not be able to have dinner because we are expecting a slam (Im currently working as a chef) - dinner will be a slam, so Im about to consume a big honkin' salad, skewer of steak kebab and chicken kebab, a homemade dressing with healthy fats and this will keep me for several hours...

They will let me take something home if I do get hungry later on tonight though.... but usually its shower, change and go comatose on the couch in five minutes! LOL
  • cherigurl
    cherigurl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    MFP put me at 1200 calories, i work out everday and burn anywhere from 275-300 calories a day, i eat back most of my workout calories, I am never hungry i pretty much eat what i want i make sure they are low calories. I have been going steady since Nov 28th I have lost 10 lbs so far, It must depend on your body, just like some people can eat what ever and not gain any weigh(i hate them) or you could be like me and just sniff the wrapper and gain 10 lbs, it is what ever your body wants to do or react to what you are doing or eating.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I found I hit a plateau when I tried to keep to 1200. My body wants closer to 1300 a day. Guess we're all different.