The paleo diet... comments anyone?

Options
I have just started getting back on the wagon with my fitness and dieting. I heard about this diet and wanted to know if anyone has had any experiences with it or could share on this. Good or bad.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I have nothing personal against paleo eaters first of all. Eat how you want, it doesn't effect me.

But having said that, and looking purely at body composition, there's no reason to choose paleo due to it's limitations/food elimination provided that you can apply common sense to your current food selections.

You can still select whole and nutrient dense foods and have the same progress provided that you're using a reasonable intake for calories and macronutrients, only you don't have to abide by quite so many restrictions.
  • lyndsei
    lyndsei Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post Sidesteal :smile:
  • sunnygal1
    Options
    I love the Paleo diet! I can see how someone who can manage to make healthy choices by themselves may not need to eat strictly Paleo; but for me, I need the Paleo guidelines to stay on track! Paleo is so healthy and natural, and I feel so good when I consistently eat the Paleo way. My favorite cookbook on this planet is Everyday Paleo. Love it!!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    My brother in law and his wife have been eating strictly paleo or a few months. She loves it, he struggles to feel satisfied alot of the time. They are both running and are quite fit/at healthy weights already, they just wanted to eat cleaner.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i have consistently eaten a healthy natural diet for years and have, over time, found that i felt softer around the middle despite healthy diet and exercise. now, i know it gets harder as you get older but i didn't like that answer. i have done some reading about paleo and have been following the concepts pretty closely for a few weeks and have noticed a difference in how i feel and i have started to lose some fat.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My brother in law and his wife have been eating strictly paleo or a few months. She loves it, he struggles to feel satisfied alot of the time. They are both running and are quite fit/at healthy weights already, they just wanted to eat cleaner.

my husband and i both are actually feeling more satisfied but he cheats more than i do :)
  • lyndsei
    lyndsei Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love all the feed back! Thanks Everyone!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    It's not magical. Some people are comfortable and have good results with it, others not. You can overeat calories on just about any "eat this not that" diet. I have a pretty restrictive diet, what with being vegetarian, celiac, and multiple allergies, but I have no problem at all overeating. I don't believe that the majority of people who are eating "paleo" are really eating anything like their paleolithic ancestors did. But if it helps you to be aware of what you are eating, to avoid extra calories, and to be satisfied, then that's great. Whatever works for your body.

Pam
  • Bloomsday
    Bloomsday Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Check out marksdailyapple.com

Has a lot of information on the approach, the reasoning behind it, etc. I esp like when people write in and share their experiences with this approach. You may find that section of the website helpful considering that A LOT of people write and share about how it is affecting them -- everything from weightloss to clearing up health issues.