Couch to 5k

Options
2»

Replies

• shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Totally want to try this once the ice is gone. In the mean time I guess I'll stick to 30ds etc inside where I'm less likely to land on my butt!
  • hdtoolgirl
    hdtoolgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am on day 3 of week 1 and was wondering if the best results come from using a treadmill or doing this outside (weather permitting).

And I am NOT a runner!!!!!

I found that I liked outside better because your body can set it's own speed versus on a treadmill where you are expected to keep up to whatever setting you are on.. I also think you get better oxygen input from outisde where youa re actually have air pushed in your lungs versus having to suck it in..

I would choose running in the rain or cold over running on a treadmill.
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I completed the program last year but only "running" at 4.0 on the treadmill. I started over at week 1 this year and am now in week 3 of the program, running at the recommended speed (5 or 6 depending on the workout) and my walking speed went from 3 to 3.5. You will definitely see improvements. When I first did the program last year I had trouble running for 60 seconds; by the end I was easily able to run for the whole 30 minutes.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I was not, in any way, shape, or form a runner (and I was only months in as a regular exerciser) when I started C25K last summer. Though I have YET to complete the program completely (I'm on Week 9) I've done 1 trail run and 2 'regular' 5k's. The latter two were all running, no walking.

Be warned though...it's addicting. :flowerforyou:
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I am on day 3 of week 1 and was wondering if the best results come from using a treadmill or doing this outside (weather permitting).

And I am NOT a runner!!!!!

I use a treadmill so that I can see the time and distance. I know running outside is more difficult and will transition to outdoors once I complete the program in early March. A couple of tips: stretch before and after, treadmill incline on 1, go at your own speed (you can always build speed later), when you're mind is telling you you can't do it, don't listen...you CAN!
  • Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Great program! I just "graduated" on Sunday January 15. I'm soon to be 52 years old and was a good 50 lbs overweight when I started. I'm slowly losing weight(more due to diet than anything) and am so proud to have finished the C25k program!

I'm very slow and when I run for 30 minutes, I only cover about 2.5 miles. On Sunday, I ran the 30 min. to complete the program and then walked a bit and then alternated walking/running to finish the 5k distance. My time 39:06. I was over the moon to do a 5k in under 40 minutes! My previous 5k times were always 41-42 minutes.

When you are doing the plan and you feel like you just can't keep going on one of the run segments, SLOW DOWN! Speed will come later. Good luck & enjoy!

Lori
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I printed it but never really stuck to it. I ran and walked at intervals that were comfortable for me for a good while then started walking hard at 3.5 on inclines until I could handle an incline 10 for an hour. All of a sudden I ran 4 miles then 2 days later 7 miles. I had a mild setback with pain in my back but found that stretching well fixed it so I am back to running and trying to increase speed and endurance. I have NEVER been a runner nor wanted to be. It just fell in my lap LOL.

Enjoy and have fun, thats what's important.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Love C25K! I first did it on the treadmill and completed the program. I was able to run 30-40 minutes at 5.5mph without stopping. Then when the weather cooled down, I tried to run outside... Big difference between treadmill vs. outside (for me anyway). So... I started the program again (beginning in week 5). The week after I finished, I ran my first 5K... Completed it in 34:55 without walking. I also just ran in my 2nd 5K and completed it in 31:50!!!

I was NEVER a runner... and now I enjoy it. It's still hard, but as I progress with getting faster and running farther (my last 3 runs have been 4 miles) it keeps getting more enjoyable!!!