Wow! An Eye-Opener!

Options
Rachael
Rachael Posts: 168 Member
I’ve always known that Americans eat too much, but I never knew how much. According to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development’s Health Data 2002 study, of the G8 nations (excluding the Federation of Russia, due to lack of data), American’s consume more calories daily than citizens of other G8 nations. Here’s the breakdown:

United States - 3,754 calories per person/per day
Italy – 3,629 calories per person/per day
France – 3,575 calories per person/per day
Germany – 3,411 calories per person/per day
Canada – 3,161 calories per person/per day
Japan – 2,782 calories per person/per day
United Kingdom – 1,690 calories per person/per day

Talk about gluttony.

But, here’s to all of us! We’re eating, on average, less than 1/3 of what our neighbors likely eat…ok, except for maybe the Brits/Scots/Welsh/Northern Irish out there (did I miss any, don't want to offend!) …y’all are a pretty healthy lot to begin with!

Anyhow, here’s to not being average! :happy:

Replies

• Rachael
    Options
    I’ve always known that Americans eat too much, but I never knew how much. According to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development’s Health Data 2002 study, of the G8 nations (excluding the Federation of Russia, due to lack of data), American’s consume more calories daily than citizens of other G8 nations. Here’s the breakdown:

Talk about gluttony.

But, here’s to all of us! We’re eating, on average, less than 1/3 of what our neighbors likely eat…ok, except for maybe the Brits/Scots/Welsh/Northern Irish out there (did I miss any, don't want to offend!) …y’all are a pretty healthy lot to begin with!

• kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options

Talk about gluttony.

That is an eye opener...
    But do you know what really shocked me? the fact that apparently we are obease nation, yet the average is 1,690...:noway:

There were even talks on taxing Chocolate..?!?! What gives!!!? :laugh:

Ho hum..:flowerforyou:
  • HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options
    Over 3700 calories??

Wow, I really don't think I've ever eaten that much unless it was some sort of special occasion like thanksgiving or something.
  • Rachael
    Options
    Really, I didn't know that. If I had to guess, maybe it's because you guys have Milky Bar white chocolate. Gosh, that stuff rocks! I miss it so much. The English relatives never send enough!!!:grumble:
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Really, I didn't know that. If I had to guess, maybe it's because you guys have Milky Bar white chocolate. Gosh, that stuff rocks! I miss it so much. The English relatives never send enough!!!:grumble:

Ahhh yes... good old Milky Bars... mmm.. havent had one in ages...!! :tongue:
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If that figure is true, it means the average person is gaining a pound a day.... Seems a bit high!
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options

Talk about gluttony.

Im sure you didnt mean it to sound bad but that actually kind of made me feel bad. I am in the US and I am considered morbidly obese but I am trying so hard to lose the weight. It was never about gluttony for me. I was an emotional eater and I probably still am. What you said just didnt hit me right. I usually dont say anything bad about posts but I just didnt like this one.

Connie
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    If that figure is true, it means the average person is gaining a pound a day.... Seems a bit high!

not a lb a day when you factor in their maintenance calories. it's make it around 1 lb every 2 days or so. But only if they start out at a healthy weight. shocking numbers.
  • rstarks54
    rstarks54 Posts: 163
    Options

Talk about gluttony.

Im sure you didnt mean it to sound bad but that actually kind of made me feel bad. I am in the US and I am considered morbidly obese but I am trying so hard to lose the weight. It was never about gluttony for me. I was an emotional eater and I probably still am. What you said just didnt hit me right. I usually dont say anything bad about posts but I just didnt like this one.

Connie
    Don't take offense, it is what it is...just numbers, YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING TO CHANGE THAT!!!
    Remember, the vessel is most useful for what it holds, not how it is decorated....Best to you Always
  • Rachael
    Options
    I am so sorry. I did not mean to offend anyone. Everyone is here trying to better themselves. And I absolutely applaud everyone for their efforts. My point, although poorly made, was that we (ok, I...I shouldn't speak for anyone else) might be gluttonous without even realizing it...I know I have been. If I'm honest with myself, I can say that I have probably eaten 4,000 cals in a day on many more than one occasion...starbucks for breakfast, lunch at Norma's (chicken fried chicken, double mashed potatoes), pizza for dinner, a few too many non-light beers, chocolate, ice cream, etc :blushing:

Anyhow, everyone on this site trying to better themselves. And I didn't mean to offend, just to encourage all our good efforts. Please forgive me? :flowerforyou:
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options

Talk about gluttony.

Connie

You are changing!! You have lost almost 40 lbs!! Good Job. It was just a fact, don't feel bad about it. Same as if you read it in the paper. Keep going!!!
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Im sure you didnt mean to offend anyone. I think maybe I am just having an off day today. Dont worry I dont take anything to serious anyhow. '

Connie
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Talk about gluttony.

Connie

Noun 1. gluttony - habitual eating to excess
    intemperance - the quality of being intemperate
    greediness, hoggishness, piggishness - an excessive desire for food
    rapaciousness, rapacity, voraciousness, voracity, edacity, esurience - extreme gluttony
    2. gluttony - eating to excess (personified as one of the deadly sins)
    overeating, gula
    deadly sin, mortal sin - an unpardonable sin entailing a total loss of grace; "theologians list seven mortal sins"

Try not to be offended. There are lots of people who are NOT morbidly obese that fall into this definition. I do, and I weigh 141 lbs. Don't take it so personally. People who have lots of food around tend to eat more than they need. That's life. We're all here to fix that. We're going to support each other in the fight. But like Dr. Phil always says, "Own it.":flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

PS I don't believe in mortal sins, I just cut and pasted the definition. Sorry.