PROTEIN: 1g/1lb of body weight?

Options
Quiing
Quiing Posts: 261 Member
Is this true? Should I be eating 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of bodyweight? Meaning if I'm 248 pounds and like 40% bodyfat, I'm still to eat 248 grams of protein per day?

Replies

• FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    It's one gram protein to one pound DESIRED lean body weight. (Or ---that's the formula that I've been using.) It's okay to go a little shy (some people use 0.75g per pound of desired lean body weight and still have success).
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It depends on a variety of things... body weight, body fat %, workout routine, goals, etc.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Is this true? Should I be eating 1 gram of protein per 1 pound of bodyweight? Meaning if I'm 248 pounds and like 40% bodyfat, I'm still to eat 248 grams of protein per day?

IMO
    You know your macronutrients by basicly taking your calories and saying ok 50% of those macros should come from protein.
    AIm more off of your cals vs 1 gram per body lb. It is a good rule of them but in the fat loss stage to me its more about total cals and cals in vs cals out then macronitruents. But that stood true for me, and everyone is different
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I thought the general rule was to multiply your current body weight by .37.....and that's how many grams of protein you should consume/day. So you would multiply 248x.37 = 91.76, so anywhere between 80-100 grams of protein per day. That seems like a lot too but I guess when you lose weight you cut down on protein….
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    I thought the general rule was to multiply your current body weight by .37.....and that's how many grams of protein you should consume/day. So you would multiply 248x.37 = 91.76, so anywhere between 80-100 grams of protein per day. That seems like a lot too but I guess when you lose weight you cut down on protein….

The only problem is with that is where does the rest of her cals come from?
    Protein IMO is king.

I have had sucess losing weight with my fit pal doing a 1 to 1 ration carb to protein. ITs all about cals to me
  • Quiing
    Options
    Oh okay, I dont have a problem with eating protein (I eat 100-120g easily everyday) but 248 just seems to be ALOT... though I'm sure I could pull it off with some protein shakes here and there... it just seems like I'd go way over 1500 cals everyday getting that much protein in!
  • Ambrogio1
    Options
    Oh okay, I dont have a problem with eating protein (I eat 100-120g easily everyday) but 248 just seems to be ALOT... though I'm sure I could pull it off with some protein shakes here and there... it just seems like I'd go way over 1500 cals everyday getting that much protein in!

NO way. Not going to happen. 248 is too much for you.
    Eat and lose weight. If you stop losing weight then change it up!

BOOM
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I believe that the recommendation is 1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight.
  • Quiing
    Options

NO way. Not going to happen. 248 is too much for you.
    Eat and lose weight. If you stop losing weight then change it up!

BOOM
    Sounds like a plan to me!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,007 Member
    Options
    1g/lb/lbm which takes fat into account.....no point feeding protein to your body fat.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's not 1g of your current weight.

It's 1g of your desired LEAN body mass, in pounds. And its only a rough guide.

I'm currently 137lbs, aiming to be 130. Say I managed to get around 25% body fat that would make my lean body mass just under 100.

So I aim to get about 80-100g protein a day, particularly since I do some strength training and want to increase my muscle mass.
  • particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to acheive? What is your training routine? Do you play sports? What type of metabolism do you have?

EG I eat 350-400g of protein a day, and Im 250lbs with a fast oxidative metabolism.

If you are following a 'normal' style nutritional approach then split your calories up by 50% protein, 30% carbs (from veg) and 20% fats.

This http://www.precisionnutrition.com/pn-my-plate might also be an interesting read.

Regards,
    J
  • Quiing
    Options
    Oh okay, so I'm already on the right track consuming roughly 100-120 a day then? Sweeeeeet. I might try to up it to 120-150 since I want to be about 130 pounds of lean muscle!
  • Quiing
    Options
    What are you trying to acheive? What is your training routine? Do you play sports? What type of metabolism do you have?

EG I eat 350-400g of protein a day, and Im 250lbs with a fast oxidative metabolism.

If you are following a 'normal' style nutritional approach then split your calories up by 50% protein, 30% carbs (from veg) and 20% fats.

This http://www.precisionnutrition.com/pn-my-plate might also be an interesting read.

Regards,
    J

My focus right now is fat loss, my ultimate goal is to be an athletic/toned 150lbs. I have a desk job, but I aim to do weight training 3x a week and moderate cardio everyday to reach my goals. I'm on a low carb diet because sugar and starches of all kinds have a crazy effect on me and I've had success with it before.
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    My macros are set at 55% fat, 30% protein and 15% carbs. With this ratio, I have no problem hitting my protein goals each day. Generally, I am between 80g and 130g of protein each day---depending on activity level. Higher protein days are days when I've really exerted myself and/or weight lifting days, because those are the only days that I might include egg white protein powder to my food. On this fat-protein-carb ratio, I've achieved many of my health goals for myself: lost weight and PCOS, officially became a high intensity Zumba instructor, and currently do a 190 pound leg press (working my way up slowly). I eat real food (most is made from scratch from single ingredients) and drink a TON of water. There is more, but that is the gist of it. It is great that you already watch your sugar and carbs, because this can only help your goals. Good luck to you! :D
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The 1-1.5g of protein per body weight is the general rule for body builders (or anyone who aspires to increase their muscle mass). When I was actually in shape at 180lbs, I found it near impossible to eat 180g of protein a day so I tried to make it a goal to get to at least 150. Protein is the building block of muscle, which once you get leaner you can work on increasing your protein intake.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My lean body weight is 140 lbs
    140 X 12 = 1680 calories

140g protein x 4 = 560 calories
    140g carbs x 4 = 560 calories
    62g fat x 9 = 558 calories

This is what I try and go by
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    The European guidelines are 1g per kg body weight, which would be about 100g protein for you (divide by 2.2).