Fluctuation......

Options
So.. I weighed myself this morning at home.. very happy... and then weighed myself at work.. and it was +5lbs more.. has anyone else had this happen??? I am so going with my home one I use all the time.. but I work at a hospital and got thinking maybe the one at work is more accurate.... although I had eaten my breakfast & AM snacks already.. still... that is quite a fluctuation...

Just curious if anyone else has had this scenario before :happy:

Replies

• siriusciel
    siriusciel Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    So.. I weighed myself this morning at home.. very happy... and then weighed myself at work.. and it was +5lbs more.. has anyone else had this happen??? I am so going with my home one I use all the time.. but I work at a hospital and got thinking maybe the one at work is more accurate.... although I had eaten my breakfast & AM snacks already.. still... that is quite a fluctuation...

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

thats normal. When you weighed at home were you naked?

When you got on the scale you already said you at breakfast and had a am snack- I am sure you had stuff to drink and that you had clothes on Which all Weighs something- just go by your normal scale-
  • mmackie
    mmackie Posts: 93
    Options
    That happenes to me almost every day. Last week I got on the scale and it read 6 ibs. lighter than the previous day. Then I got on it 2 days later and it was back up 6 lbs. Its very discouraging and I was really bummed, but there is just nothing to do about it. Its just how our bodies work-especially women with our hormone changes and sensitivity to water (bloating, etc).

Don't worry, you'll either get used to it or you'll just lose the weight permanentely...Good Luck!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    That happens to me, but I know my home scale weighs on the under side.

But you do have to account for clothes and food for the morning. That probably added a bit to your morning weight.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    That happenes to me almost every day. Last week I got on the scale and it read 6 ibs. lighter than the previous day. Then I got on it 2 days later and it was back up 6 lbs. Its very discouraging and I was really bummed, but there is just nothing to do about it. Its just how our bodies work-especially women with our hormone changes and sensitivity to water (bloating, etc).

Don't worry, you'll either get used to it or you'll just lose the weight permanentely...Good Luck!

That happens to me too. I drop 4 -5 pounds in one day and I am amazed. The next day it bops up again and then I work to get it back down again. I don't get TOM because I had a hysterectomy and my sodium intake is usually stable.

What gives?
  • vipersgirl28
    Options
    That happens to me to. I actually weighed myself without clothes and then put on each item. My jeans alone weight over a pound.

I always weigh more at the doctors office and my scale is pretty acurate at home.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    While you are sleeping, your body uses up whatever stuff was put in the night before... and when you wake up, you generally use the bathroom... right? That's the moment when you weigh yourself and consider it your clean slate. Even 2 hours later, your weight can increase because of what you eat and drink. Not all the water you drink comes out when you urinate the next time... some of it gets added to your blood volume, some of it sits in your intestines, and when you exercise, some of it bulks up your muscles... So there's always extra water in your body when you're awake, even if you limit your sodium.

Stop weighing yourself later in the day... you'll only disappoint yourself and drive yourself nuts. If you absolutely must do it, just remember, it's not your "true" weight. Your true weight is what you are after you wake up and pee, standing on the scale in your undies (or naked) and leave it at that.... Don't worry about the transient pounds that just tag along during the day... as long as you're eating right and drinking your water those pounds are not going to stay on you. And you can't prevent the transient weight - it happens to everyone!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuation is the exact reason that we should really only weigh ourselves once a week at the same time, before you eat and after you use the bathroom, and naked is best since even light clothes can add inaccurate weight.

I would definitely say it's because you were dressed, had eaten and probably drank stuff. You'd be amazed how quickly things can add up.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuation is the exact reason that we should really only weigh ourselves once a week at the same time, before you eat and after you use the bathroom, and naked is best since even light clothes can add inaccurate weight.

I would definitely say it's because you were dressed, had eaten and probably drank stuff. You'd be amazed how quickly things can add up.

No mine was first thing in the morning each time, after pee, before clothes