Looking for a healthy alternative to gravy.

I'm do bad for covering my veg in gravy so I need a healthier option if anyone has suggestions.

Replies

• Depends for what you are making?
    Lemon/lime
    Broth
    Low Sugar Preserves
    Cranberry Sauce
    Salsa
    Honey

Hope that helps!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,134 Member
    Au jus, reduced chicken stock etc.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Uhh... anything but gravy?
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Uhh... anything but gravy?

^^
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Maybe mix some ranch dressing packet with yogurt? I'm guessing you're looking for a flavorful, creamy sauce, so some of the other suggestions (while delicious and I really like) may not have been what you were looking for.

I also think you might like it under some marinara or other tomato based sauce.

GL!
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    drinking_gravy.jpg
  • Uhh... anything but gravy?

^^

x100
  • drinking_gravy.jpg

lol!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I'm do bad for covering my veg in gravy so I need a healthier option if anyone has suggestions.

What's wrong with gravy? I make and eat onion and/or mushroom gravy with olive oil and a little flour quite often. It's yummy on so many things.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

Saute with some lemon, garlic and olive oil or render bacon and use the bacon fat to cook your veggies in for an added depth of flavor
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I make a roux with chicken broth that is kinda gravy-like. You take a whisk and melt 2 tbsp low-fat margarine in a skillet over medium heat, then whisk in 2 tbsp of flour. Mix it until it's all clumped together but don't let it sit on the heat long enough to burn. While whisking, add 2 cups of chicken broth, salt and pepper to taste. If you need to make more you just keep the ratio the same; 3 tbsp, 3 tbsp, 3 cups, etc.

(it's done when it comes to a boil)
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Generally if I want to add a little flavor to veggies, I'll use balsamic vinegar, or spices, or both. I get a lot of great spice mixes from Penzey's, but you can usually find a variety of mixes in most grocery stores.
  • I make my own gravy with homemade beef stock (low sodium!), whatever dried herbs take my fantasy, garlic, onions, mushrooms and a touch of olive oil. I add flavour with a little balsamic and worcestershire sauce (again, sodium) and then thicken with cornflour. True, it's not the pan dripping gravy I grew up with, but it's still darn tasty. I haven't made it since I've been calorie counting so have no recipe as my cooking is of the add a bit of this, add some more of that variety, but if you used fat free, low sodium readymade stock and switched out the olive oil for cooking spray it might fit into your diet.

One gravy tip: make a big batch of stock and then freeze in ice cube trays. Mine are quite big so I only need two cubes of stock to make gravy enough for one.