Upcoming trip to Cambodia/Thailand- Want to avoid falling of

Options
Hey MFP!

I am going on a three week trip to Cambodia and Thailand (leaving this Friday), and will not have internet service to keep track of what I am eating and when I work out. I am pretty sure that my workouts will solely consist of lots of walking, and the food I consume will be varied and new as far as what I am used to eating on a daily basis.

I am just wondering if anyone has any advice for how to best keep up with healthy eating and fitness while abroad in this part of the world. I have only been to parts of Europe before, and my weight went up several pounds after 3-week stints in both Italy and France. I know Southeast Asia is very different, so any advice about how to not repeat my travel-induced weight gain would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance to anyone with words of wisdom, and feel free to add me as well if you would like another MFP friend :smile:

Replies

• particleastro
    particleastro Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    SE asian cuisine is incredably healthy. Eat local dishes (responsibly sourced, you dont want worms or anything) and stick to reasonable portions. Not only will you stay on the wagon but also discover a whole new culture.

You can actually buy stuff from guys who drive round on mopeds COOKING AT THE SAME TIME.

Awesome. Oh, and make sure you get to see some Muay Thai.

Regards,
    J
  • Bella3119
    Bella3119 Posts: 104
    Options
    Oh wow! My good friend went to Thailand in Nov. He had an amazing time. I know you'll enjoy yourself too. As long as you do lots of walking, you will be able to burn off the calories from the delicious food. He lost 3 pounds. Thai food is actually healthy, just stay away from the Unidentified Meat Trucks. LOL

You also may want to keep a log on a small note pad and estimate the calories. If you have time, research some of meals online and then you will have a better track of your calories.

Most importantly......Have fun and be safe!
  • beatgirl98
    Options
    I spent 8 months in SE Asia last year (most of it in Cambodia and Thailand - you'll love it). Make the most of it being sunny and swim loads - in Siem Reap for example you can go to hotel pools and ask if you can pay a few dollars to use them or buy some food/ drinks and there's a great lake near Angkor Wat that locals swim in.

Cycle and walk - avoid the temptation of the tuk-tuks! I remember climbing lots of hills in various places - Chiang Mai especially

Eat loads of the fresh fruit and veg. Fresh coconuts are so good.

Just don't order too much of the fried food - maybe leave a little on your plate. Food is soooo cheap, and this tends to be why travellers put on weight.

You can get the internet everywhere, and it's really cheap. Nearly every vaguely touristy town has somewhere with wi-fi too.

Enjoy! xx
  • ctroxell2011
    Options
    Agreed, plan, plan, plan. Make a list of foods you think you will be eating and take it with you to manually track. Portion control, and daily cardio. Stick to seafood and veggies you will be in great shape! Have fun!!
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I spent 4 weeks in Thailand/Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia several years ago. I absolutely love that part of the world, so have an amazing time.

I seriously wouldn't worry about cals when you're away. Travelling usually involves a lot of walking (or it does if you actually want to see the real country and not just rock up outside each tourist site in an air con bus!), and the food out there is pretty healthy. Lots of rice and noodles, but full of good fats and healthy veg. I suspect it'll be very difficult to track, but just watch your portion sizes if you're worried.

One thing to watch though is the banana pancakes. When I was there they seemed to have the idea that all western tourists eat banana syrup pancakes for breakfast every day!
  • sezp
    sezp Posts: 69
    Options
    I know it seems counterproductive, but definitely stay away from salads or fresh produce unless you can guarantee it has been prepared with safe water. Brush your teeth with bottled water, too. I didn't follow this advice the last time I was in Cambodia and it didn't make any difference what I ate since I suffered with my tummy the whole time. But like everyone else says, the food is pretty healthy if you steer clear of the tourist fare of fast food. Fresh spring rolls, noodle soups, veggie curries, etc. Try Fish Amok in Cambodia, it's lovely. If you're like me, your appetite will be a lot less than normal because of the humidity and heat, so I don't think you'll have too much of a problem staying on the wagon!

Have fun, I'm still in love with Cambodia and the people there and I hate to leave when i'm there.
  • curliefrii
    curliefrii Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I lived in Asia for about three years.... biggest piece of advice.... eat as little white rice as possible and you should have no trouble not gaining weight. It will be everywhere. Unfortunately in a lot of places in S.E. Asia its used as a filler (noodles too) instead of meat, but try to get that protein where you can.

Definitely easier to eat healthy in Asia than in Europe.... if you stick to the local cuisine that is... once you're there for a while the American owned burger places start looking really appealing. :)

I never got food poisoning, but a lot of people do... not the ideal way to lose weight. Fruit you can peal is always a good option. (Sounds weird, but I usually carried a vegetable pealer with me.)

Have fun. Try new foods! (Lok Lac in Cambodia is just amazing.)

Take a cooking class if you can, they're everywhere. :)

Dang... now I'm jealous. The food is sooo good there.
  • flykeeko17
    flykeeko17 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for your advice, everyone!! Carrying an actual notepad with me is a great idea- that way I can estimate calories as well as remember all of the delicious food I eat! Also, looking up typical dishes ahead of time is a GREAT idea. I will absolutely do that.

Staying away from too much white rice is a very good tip as well, and I have been warned about only drinking bottled water.

Thank you guys so much for the advice! I am so excited!!!