Frustrated!!!

I have been following MFP to the tee... and just not losing. I am really trying to eat healthy. I dont know what I am doing wrong.

Replies

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Give it some time. I see you just joined last month. There are a lot of factors that could be contributing to you not losing. How much are you trying to lose? The smaller your goal is, the longer it will take.

It could also be water retention. Are you drinking your 8 cups a day? Are you watching your sodium intake? If you've been working out more than you used to, your body may be retaining more water to help with your muscles.

Finally, are you sure you're eating ENOUGH? The biggest mistake I see around here is people who eat way under their calorie goal thinking that they will lose weight faster. This is actually a terrible idea. If you eat at too much of a deficit your body may try to hang on to your fat stores. Make sure you are giving your body the fuel it needs.

Calculate your BMR (there's a tool here on MFP for that). You should never eat very far under your BMR (some people say you should never eat under it at all). So if your BMR is 1500 and MFP has you at a 1200 calorie goal, you should probably adjust your goal to up your caloric intake.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Give it some time. I see you just joined last month. There are a lot of factors that could be contributing to you not losing. How much are you trying to lose? The smaller your goal is, the longer it will take.

It could also be water retention. Are you drinking your 8 cups a day? Are you watching your sodium intake? If you've been working out more than you used to, your body may be retaining more water to help with your muscles.

Finally, are you sure you're eating ENOUGH? The biggest mistake I see around here is people who eat way under their calorie goal thinking that they will lose weight faster. This is actually a terrible idea. If you eat at too much of a deficit your body may try to hang on to your fat stores. Make sure you are giving your body the fuel it needs.

Calculate your BMR (there's a tool here on MFP for that). You should never eat very far under your BMR (some people say you should never eat under it at all). So if your BMR is 1500 and MFP has you at a 1200 calorie goal, you should probably adjust your goal to up your caloric intake.
    Give the above some serious consideration. Looking at your food diary, 1200 to start is hard to do at the first. Also you could eat more protein. :flowerforyou:
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Looking at your food diary, if I was you (and this is my opinion only) I would do the following:

Eat more fruits and veggies
    Eat more protein
    Stay away from so much processed foods
    track your sodium (I think this may be your culprit causing you to retain water)
  • centaurfarms
    centaurfarms Posts: 11 Member
    This last week I have added more boiled cabbage, fruit and veggies in general. I am not sure about the BMR as the calculators all give me different so I was just hoping MFP had it right but I am thinking it is not right.

All my life I stayed on low cal low fat way of living and was probably starving myself most of the time. I have always fought to stay slim as I compete and have to stay fit. I am fit but just now midlife bulge. 1200 calories was always pretty normal for me but after reading here I am wondering how much to eat.