Frustrated!!!

2»

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Check your settings and make sure you are not set to sedentary, you should probably be set to lightly active with the calories you have said you burn through the day. How much weight you aim to lose each wee will depend on your current weight / bf%, but 1 to 1 1/2% should be fine if you have more than 20lbs left to lose.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    I am frustrated too! I am looking at 1200 calories to reach my goal. I can't really understand how I can eat more calories and lose weight?

It's just part of the old mindset of having to 'diet' which is effectively depriving yourself in order to lose weight. We now know this to be categorically false, but it still seems to have been purveyed so strongly and for so long, that it is difficult to readjust our thinking! Trust the anounts the site gives you and stick to a diet made up of (mostly) nutritions foods, and you will lose weight. Exercise goes a long way too, but make sure you re-fuel if you are exercising. Have some faith and give it some time... you will see results!
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 559 Member
    These are just a few suggestions. Some may work for you, some may not.

Firstly, I agree with what previous posters have said – try to eat a little "cleaner." It's always a good idea to include a little more raw fruits and vegetables. Apples, bananas, oranges, grapefruit, pear, frozen berries, carrots, celery, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, yams, onions, peas, peppers, asparagus, broccoli... The list goes on.

A few other foods you might consider including, in place of some of your current meals: oats, brown rice, Greek yogurt, fish (I'm a salmon lover, but I've heard tilapia is good), chicken, raw nuts (almonds, walnuts), seeds, edamame (soybeans), and seaweed (it's an acquired taste, but it's actually quite good for you).

You eat boxed dinners frequently. If you have the space and time to cook, then by all means, learn how! You can look up healthy recipes online, most ingredients aren't hard to find, and I think you'll find cooking surprisingly easy and enjoyable. A home-cooked meal will certainly be better for you than a packaged one. It will also make you more mindful of what you're eating.

Another thing... I would start tracking your sodium. MFP's estimate is ridiculously high. You should consume no more than 2,300 mg of sodium per day, and research has actually shown that 1,500 mg per day is a healthier amount.
    (For reference: http://www.cdc.gov/features/sodium/)

Also, your carbs seem awfully high. I don't like "low-carb" diets (I'm more of an everything-in-moderation kind of girl), but you're regularly getting over 200 grams per day, which seems a bit much for a 1200-1500 calorie diet. You can adjust your macro goals under "settings." Personally, I prefer to stay in between 100 and 200 grams per day, but play around a bit and find an amount that works for you.

Don't forget to drink plenty of water! Don't force yourself to drink if you honestly aren't thirsty, but make sure to include a full glass of water with each meal, and at least a couple more throughout the day.

If you're just starting to exercise more, you may retain water for a few days (or even weeks) while your body adjusts. This is normal.

Finally, you could just try waiting. Sometimes, it takes a long time to see "progress." Measure inches and body fat, not pounds, and focus on how you feel rather than what the scale says. If you feel energetic and healthy, and if your stamina is increasing while your body fat is decreasing... then clearly, you're doing something right!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Hi. I just looked at your entries for today. Not enough food. If all your days are this low calorie then that isn't good. You need more protein and more fresh fruits and vegetables. You're welcome to private message me with any advice. I know things tend to get lost on the boards.
  • centaurfarms
    centaurfarms Posts: 11 Member
    Your both right if I knock out the processed foods the sodium will go down. I did not think of that. I will check my settings also as you suggested.

Also I did not realize how high my carbs where and how low the protein was. I will try to change that and see what happens. Also changing to sedetery lifestyle uped my calories to 1300's. That might also help.

Thank you everyone. This has really helped me to see where I am at in eating. I really thought I was doing well by staying in my calories but not the right choices for sure.

Thank you again.