Favorite running myths

Options
124»

Replies

• jessicajoy87
    Options
    My husband likes to tell people I can't run because I get black eyes. You know, from boobie-floppy. Funny guy. :grumble:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: LMAO! I know the feeling! I have to double bra up before I run!:ohwell:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Come on people, there's no room for debate here, this is a fun thread!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    my uterus also fell out.

it ruined my knees when it fell.

stupid running :(
  • midmomike2
    Options
    1 of the personal trainers at my gym said that distance running destroys your muscle (your body burns the muscle for fuel) "the only running you should ever do is interval sprints on a treadmill" (for the cardio burn)
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm over 17,000 miles in and I've yet to ruin my knees

Sample size of one. Conclusive proof.
  • arc918
    Options

In my case it appears to be true 100% of the time.

You do understand this thread was not intended to be serious...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Come on people, there's no room for debate here, this is a fun thread!

Must. Prove. People. Wrong.

Sorry, its my only fault, I swear (just don't ask my fiance)
  • firedudecndn
    Options
    Distance running will help you lose weight (you just eat more!).

I think this one is true - speed work will help you lose weight.

Here is a question: I have heard that you burn the same amount of calories covering a given distance whether you walk, jog, run, or sprint it. I thought that sounded false. Thoughts?

Don't train for distance, train for time. Run for 20 minutes instead of 2 miles. It works better. 2 miles can be 16 minutes or 30 minutes depending on how you feel that day but 20 minutes of running is always 20 minutes of running. I changed from training on the bike from mileage to time and it made a world of difference..
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

In my case it appears to be true 100% of the time.

You do understand this thread was not intended to be serious...

But it's fun to argue! (drives my husband mad though)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You cannot have fun running threads without them turning serious...

Oh wait that might be true, not a myth
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    'In a marathon, hitting the wall in inevitable and is the biggest challenge to overcome'.

Classic one, that. 4 marathons in and I've yet to hit it. During training sure I have, but on the actual day a bit of preparation (eating enough) can mean it's not an issue.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Just read this on another site...

Truism: Non-runners worry more about runners knees than runners do.

:flowerforyou:
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    1 of the personal trainers at my gym said that distance running destroys your muscle (your body burns the muscle for fuel) "the only running you should ever do is interval sprints on a treadmill" (for the cardio burn)

I think I have put on more muscle since cutting back on the cardio compared with when I both ran and lifted hard.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Just read this on another site...

Truism: Non-runners worry more about runners knees than runners do.

:flowerforyou:

I regularly get "well-meaning" comments from my coworkers about becoming a decrepit invalid at the age of 30 thanks to running.
  • arc918
    Options
    'In a marathon, hitting the wall in inevitable and is the biggest challenge to overcome'.

Classic one, that. 4 marathons in and I've yet to hit it. During training sure I have, but on the actual day a bit of preparation (eating enough) can mean it's not an issue.

In this world of serial undertraining who knows

"you too can train for a marathon in one month by running just two times per week..."
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Distance running will help you lose weight (you just eat more!).

I think this one is true - speed work will help you lose weight.

Here is a question: I have heard that you burn the same amount of calories covering a given distance whether you walk, jog, run, or sprint it. I thought that sounded false. Thoughts?

Don't train for distance, train for time. Run for 20 minutes instead of 2 miles. It works better. 2 miles can be 16 minutes or 30 minutes depending on how you feel that day but 20 minutes of running is always 20 minutes of running. I changed from training on the bike from mileage to time and it made a world of difference..

That's a damn good idea :flowerforyou:
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    marathon runners look like under nourished chickens. I've run my share of marathons and I do NOT look like anything that is under nourished.:wink: