"Loose Fat" is a myth..

Options
My TOPIC is supposed to say LOOSE SKIN not LOOSE FAT! LOL! It won't let me edit it.. anyways here goes:

Loose skin is a myth.

There I said it.

I know you’re probably shaking your head and you may even think I am crazy but it’s true. There’s nothing loose about skin. Think of the skin on your eyelids. That skin is about the same thickness as the skin on the rest of your body.

“Then why do I have all this excess skin hanging around my thighs? Around my belly? Under my arms?” I hate to break the bad news but its not loose skin, its fat.

Droopy fat (“loose skin”) is the result of poor dieting and exercising habits. If you cut too many calories per day your body is going to burn muscle and lean tissue instead of fat. Weight loss and getting healthy is a slow process if done correctly but the end result is 100x better!

Example:

Anna is 5’4” and weighs 120 pounds. She has 21% body fat. Over the course of a year Anna puts on 100 pounds. In a hurry to get the excess weight off, Anna loses the weight in less than a year and now weighs 120 again. This time however she has hanging droopy fat. Her body fat is now 32% even though she weighs the same. The reason is because she lost the weight too quickly and instead of losing just body fat she lost a LOT of muscle.

You’ll never see a serious athlete feeding themselves so little while training for an upcoming event. Think of Michael Phelps (swimmer). He eats 12000 (yes, twelve thousand) calories a day when he’s training. He’s totally ripped! If he ate even 3000 calories while training he’d be a twig with NO muscle, and unable to compete.

PREVENTING DROOPY FAT:

- Try not to eat below you RMR (resting metabolic rate) – note that this will more than likely contradict MFP’s 1200 calorie limit. You can find a RMR calculator online.
- One-two pound loss per week should be your maximum loss or you are losing mostly muscle.
- SLOW AND STEADY wins the race

IF YOU HAVE DROOPY FAT:

- Unfortunately the only thing I could suggest doing is re-gaining lean body mass through weight training and upping your daily calorie intake. This obviously doesn’t sound ideal but it’s the only thing besides surgery that will do it. You’ll have to regain x-amount of pounds (in the form of muscle) in order to then re-lose just the fat. Think if my example of Anna. If Anna tried to lose more body fat – let’s say from 32% down to 12% she would be severely unhealthy (anorexic) and it may NOT even be possible for her to do.
- Quick fix weight loss is never the answer!

I hope this helps!