Crock Pot Recipes?

Options
sc1572
sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
Hello, MFP! :)

I got a crock pot for Christmas, yay! However, I can't find any recipes. :( I'm a college student on a budget, and whenever I cook, I just cook for me primarily, since a lot of my friends don't like what I make. As my roommate says..."Too healthy!" So, if I make something, I like to have it last a couple of days. I am familiar with sites like skinnytaste.com, eatingwell.com, hungry-girl.com, and some others, but if you have any recipes or other sites, I'd love to hear more! :)

I'm not too picky...however, I don't like any type of seafood. Besides that, I'm open to anything!

Thanks! :D

Replies

• mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I have a crockpot Steph and havent used it in a while, but when I know I am going to be on campus all day, I put bake chicken in there in some water, season it, and put it on low. When I come back, I add vegetables to the side. I add lemon as well :)
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i have had one for a bit now and have just started using it again. (it saw me faithfully threw college too). today i put chicken in (2 breasts) and 1/2 cup chicken broth and 1/2 of my fav. bbq sauce and 1/2 onion. and put it on low for 4 hrs and it was falling apart. it tasted soooo good. no need to add any sauce or anything. i'm sure the flavor and bbq that it did suck up as not the 2 tbs serving.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Look up some soup recipes!! My boyfriend just likes to make any ol kinda soup... Let's it stew alllllllll day. Makes the flavors really ...I don't know the right word... Infused!? Haha the only thing to watch out for is if your recipe calls for pasta or rice or barley or something like that you should cook it separatly and add it in per serving, or else it will swell up and get weird and mushy.

Enjoy it!! It's low maintenance cooking for sure :)
  • ladybb7
    ladybb7 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    pulled pork

500 g pork tenderloin
    low sodium BBQ sauce
    5-6 cloves garlic
    2 onion roughly chopped
    1.5 cups water

put onion, garlic, pork in crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours
    add BBQ sauce and pull pork apart with two forks.
    Serve with vegetables, whole wheat bread, or whole grain rice

:) enjoy
  • LikeLibi
    Options
    I have the 6 quart slow cooker at home. I usually use it to make bean soup.

Ingredients:
    1 cup black beans (soak them overnight)
    1 cup white beans (soak them overnight)
    1 cup chopped celery
    2 cups chopped carrots
    1 medium onion chopped
    2 cloves of garlic minced
    1/2 bunch of kale
    a little bit fresh parsley
    1 vegetarian bouillon

Fill the slow cooker half way with water and cook the soup on high for 5 hours. The soup gets thicker the next day.
  • Beezer322
    Beezer322 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I recently got a crock pot as well. I love it! Have you been to allrecipies.com? They have tons of great ideas for your crockpot. I made a bean and vegetable chilli that only cost me about $15 and I had a ton of left overs!
  • cgordon86
    Options
    Check out crock pot girls on facebook, they have lot of great ideas.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    http://crockingirls.com/

I love their recipes.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I use allrecipes.com for most of my dishes, including crockpot stuff... They have a section that's all crockpot recipes. The only downer is you have to filter through and figure out which ones are healthy. But, for me having the ratings makes it worth the work b/c at least I'll know I'm making a good recipe!
  • sssygirl
    sssygirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I got this site from someone else her on MFP-

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

It has a ton of great slow cooker recipes!!
  • NewCyn
    NewCyn Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    On facebook there is a page called Skinny Oven. It has info on their new crock pot recipes. I think it is a book called Skinny Ms. Slow Cooker.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    I believe there's also skinnycrockpot.com
  • mygirlbrenna
    Options
    I tossed in four breasts last night with a jar of salsa and some extra onion because we lurve it. I tasted it this a.m. Can't wait to shred it up and put it on some wheat tortillas!
  • beefluv86
    beefluv86 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just found slenderkitchen.com she has some pretty good crock pot recipes there.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Salsa Chicken - Chicken breast and 1 jar of Salsa. Yummy

Cream of Chicken - Chicken breast and 1 can of cream of chicken soup. Do not add water. Yummy

BBQ Chicken - Chicken breast and 1/2 bottle of BBQ sauce. Do not add water. Love it!

BBQ Country Style Pork Ribs - same as BBQ Chicken....So Good

Salsa Pork Chops - Same as Salsa Chicken.... Yep, it's good.

And I put my meat in frozen most of the time. That way, it is not completely falling apart when I get home for supper.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I second the vegetarian chili recipe from Allrecipes.com. It's delicious, freezes well, and very affordable. Here's the link:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/the-best-vegetarian-chili-in-the-world/

The other crcokpot recipes I have are delicious but not quite as healthy. I make a mean pot roast in it:

1) Flour the roast and brown it on the stove.

2) Throw it in the crockpot with beef broth, a packet of dry onion soup mix, and sliced onions and carrots.

3) Cook it all day on low. Come home and devour.

I do the same with pork butt or shoulder to make pulled pork. It freezes well, also.

1) Add a pork roast to the crock pot and toss in beef broth and bbq sauce.

2) Cook on low all day.

3) Come home, drain off most of the juice, shred the pork, and add more bbq sauce.

4) Serve on a roll.

Lastly, I make chicken and dumplings in the crockpot.

1) Add four chicken breasts, a can of cream of chicken soup, a can of cream of celery soup, salt, pepper, thyme and enough broth to cover the meat.

2) Cook all day on low.

3) Come home, shred the chicken and tear up 16 oz of refrigerated biscuit dough into pieces. Add to the mixture. Also add two cans of mixed veggies drained.

4) Cook on high for another hour or so.

It's yummy but kind of high in fat and terrible in sodium.
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Theres a ton of recipes online... I started making my own recipe book because I LOVE the crock pot !

2 easy ones I like that are quick and easy

1. Chicken breasts cut up into peices, with sliced mushrooms, mushroom cambells soup, and cream of chicken cambells soup. I leave it on low for 7-8 hours. The recipe calls to put over pasta, I use rice sometimes as well... YUM and easy!

2. Chicken cut up, with 1 cup of salsa, you can leave it just like that OR also add 1 bag of taco mix, green peppers, red peppers, onion, Last night i also put in a few small potatos, and some hot sauce. YUMM

Chili is amazing out of the crock pot, and it usually lasts for days!!! You could freeze it and use later as well...
    Lasgana comes out really welll as well

theres so many possibilities, and the house always smells soooo good!!!

Have fun with it!
  • TBirdGirl
    TBirdGirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Google it! LOL ~ Anything I'm thinking of I google to see if there is a crockpot recipe for it. I generally do not stick to just one site. I'm all over the place.

Currently at home I have the following cooking in my crockpot:
    3 chicken breasts (halved)
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    1/2 cup white white
    1 large onion diced (I only used 1/2-2/3 only)
    3 cloves garlic miced
    1 cup sliced green pepper
    1 cup sliced zuchinni

The recipe also called for 1 can of mushrooms but I opted out and added the green pepper and zuchinni
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Crockpot Southwestern Chicken

2-16 oz. cans of sweet corn, drained
    1-16 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1-16 oz. jar of salsa (mild-hot, your preference)
    3 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup low fat or fat free shredded cheddar cheese

Directions
    Combine corn, black beans and 1/2 cup of salsa in the slow cooker.
    Place chicken breasts on top.
    Pour remaining salsa over the chicken.
    Cover and cook 7-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
    Sprinkle with cheese to serve.
    Makes 6 nice size portions.

Calories: 392.4
    Total Fat: 3.4 g
    Cholesterol: 133.4 mg
    Sodium: 1,554.9 mg
    Total Carbs: 36.4 g
    Dietary Fiber: 7.8 g
    Protein: 60.2 g

So versatile - you could spice it up more, or add cilantro. You could serve over rice or in wraps. Or shred for a dip. Yummmm!
  • TBirdGirl
    TBirdGirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I also love the pineapple crockpot chicken recipe I got off MFP:

Chicken breasts
    1 can crushed pineapple drained
    1/4 cup soy sauce

Simple & yummy!