Do you believe in "starvation mode"

Options
I was curious how many of you believe in "starvation mode" I've been eating 1000 calories a day for almost 4 months and I've lost 27 pounds so far. So I don't believe in it. However; In my case I do 75-85 min. of cardio a day and strength training everyday. Maybe that's what's keeping my metabolism high to burn so many calories? Who knows..

How about you guys? Anyone ever eaten below 1200 and found that it was hard to lose weight?

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I found if I eat under 1300 right now I won't lose well if at all. I do not believe that 1200 is the magic number that causes the body to enter this starvation mode. It is totally dependant on each person for their size, daily activity level, etc etc.

Everyone's body functions differently.
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    no I do not,

energy in energy out

I believe in physics

the closer you are to goal weight the harder it is to diet and little women can even gain at 1200 calories the so called minimum,

I do believe it is very hard to get all of your macro and micro nutrients the fewer calories you eat,

so be careful, choose well
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I believe in it...but i've actually had it happen after going super low cal for too long (2/4/6/8 diet anyone? I lost over 20 pounds in 5 weeks.) You've lost less than 7 pounds per month, that's a good loss, but you probably could have lost the same amount and still enjoyed fueling your body with decent, healthy foods. You are going to have to finish losing and then maintain. If you need to create a bigger deficit as you lose, are you going to just keep going lower and lower on your cal intake? Probably not, as the cal intake you have now, you wouldn't be able to go too much lower without having ill effects to your health (believe me, i've been there too.) It's good to start out eating as many cals as you and to healthfully lose so that when/if you have to cut cals, you have somewhere to go.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I believe that the term "starvation mode" is overused and often inappropriately used.

But, I also believe that severly restricting calories is not a healthy long term strategy. You run the risk of not getting enough nutrition to keep your body healthy and for most people it isn't going to be sustainable, so you are setting up habits that you can't possibly keep up over time.

I also don't see the point in restricting cals more than is necessary, I'm betting that a lot of people who blindly choose the fastest weight loss option could lose weight on a larger number of calories. And we also have to consider that 1200 is for the "average" person - probably someone like me as a 5'4" woman, just over 150 pounds. A big man or a small woman are going to have a differnt number that is the healthy limit for each of them.

To me, food is enjoyable, it is social, it is part of every culture, so finding away to enjoy a moderate amount of good food and be healthy seems like a win-win situation to me.
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    also it is VERY important we learn to eat for the rest of our lives,

we need to learn to make new lifestyle choices,

find your good foods
  • monty_williams
    Options
    Completely overused and misunderstood term around here. There are so many people that think they have to eat every 3 hours, 6 times a day or else they'll go into "starvation mode" or their muscles will fall off due to catabolism. The fact is most people would need to fast for at least 2-3 days before having a significant lowering effect on their metabolism or any significant muscular catabolism.

Actually, your metabolism increases during short periods of fasting due to the hormone Ghrelin and catecholamine output.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I think it’s more to do with muscle deterioration . You may be losing weight, but it’s probably muscle. If you fine with that…, go for it.
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/447397-my-plateau-nutrition-story-learn-from-my-mistakes

I didn't... but do now. Read this. I've been stuck for 4 months... and that's how long ago it was that I really started working out a lot burning at least 1000 cals and was eating 1300. Giving me a net of 300 cals for the day. I've lost maybe 10 lbs in those 4 months and couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing more especially with how much I was working out. Was I in starvation mode? Maybe... something... I just know I'm gonna start eating more on days I have a big calorie burn.
  • _Kate_P
    _Kate_P Posts: 132
    Options
    I definitely do. I've found that to lose weight, I either have to eat like 1400 cals/day or like 600! Which to me obviously suggests that between those numbers is low enough to lower my metabolism, and make me hold onto everything, but enough to have something to hold onto. So obviously I go with the 1400/day!!! there was a day though, where I was pretty sure anything over 500 would make me fat......not good, not good.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    there is nothing to believe..since it doesnt exist as most people take it.

look up the minnesota starvation study. this is what the myth is based on.
    you body doesnt store fat on a calorie deficit, and it doesnt shut down its metabolism because you dont 'eat enough calories'.
  • ComeAroundSundown
    ComeAroundSundown Posts: 69 Member
    Options
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/447397-my-plateau-nutrition-story-learn-from-my-mistakes

I didn't... but do now. Read this. I've been stuck for 4 months... and that's how long ago it was that I really started working out a lot burning at least 1000 cals and was eating 1300. Giving me a net of 300 cals for the day. I've lost maybe 10 lbs in those 4 months and couldn't figure out why I wasn't losing more especially with how much I was working out. Was I in starvation mode? Maybe... something... I just know I'm gonna start eating more on days I have a big calorie burn.

you will always lose on such a low calorie deficit. i highly doubt you were burning that many calories. and just because you failed to lose 1 lb in a week doesnt mean you are in the so called starvation mode. it is physiologically impossible to gain weight or not lose weight on a calorie deficit..no matter how low or drastic it is. every part of your body needs calories to function. if you dont give it enough, it'll take it from fat and/or muscle. your heart needs a certain amount, your liver and other organs, your muscles need a certain amount, your brain needs a certain amount. none of these shuts down or stops its functions to 'store' fat or keep fat for later. it needs it now and will use the calories from fat now!

when we work out like fiends, we put stress on our bodies..this creates cortisol which limits fat burning. it'll slow it down, but not stop it. just like not eating enough. it may lower your bmr, but its not by much maybe 200 calories. still not enough to 'hold onto fat'. look at holocaust victims, and people starving in third world countries..they may net 300 calories a day and you dont see them 'holding on to fat'.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I do, but not like a switch. I feel when I don't eat enough for too many days in a row, I feel weaker. But, I also don't believe in the 1200 rule, I believe that there is a number for everyone, but related to their own BMR and daily activities etc.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    Starvation mode as in you can eat next to nothing and not lose weight? I'm pretty sure that's not possible, it seems to me like a magic trick and would solve world hunger lol.
  • eclecticwingtips
    eclecticwingtips Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I dont thinl there is anything to 'believe' there is a lot of scientific evidence to show that eating too few calories slows down your metabilism.

it doesnt mean you wont lose weight. it just means it will be slowly and your more likely to put it back on again
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I read a thread here earlier where someone said they were sticking to 1200 cals, working out every day but not losing. A lot of people were telling him "eat more to lose weight" rubbish! Try telling an African famine victim they will not lose weight if they don't eat enough. I believe 'starvation mode' is a short-term slow down in metabolism when our bodies realise they are not getting enough food, but it won't last long. Starving to lose weight is not a great plan because most who do this put it back on...
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    No, I don't believe in it. I suppose if I didn't eat for like a few days my body would slow down significantly. You're doing the right thing by exercising and keeping your metabolism going. I have lost 44 pounds and for the most part I ate between 1000 - 1300 calories during the major part of my loss. Fabulous job on your weight loss. Good luck and have a nice day!! :bigsmile:
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Funny how people consider that starvation mode as a myth. The underneath and real question is :
    - Does my body adapts to what I bring to it ? I dare anyone to tell me no :-)

The body is an incredible thing, and it's ability to adapt to it's environment amazes me more and more since I'm learning how it works.

When you lower you income, you start to loose weight very quickly, then you slow less and less. Sometimes you gain (water retention for instance).
    Ask yourself the somes questions that might put you on the right track :) :
    1- Why, if I think It's pure numbers, the day after I eat less, I gain weight sometimes ?
    2- Why do I do water retention, and that water goes out if I drink more water ?
    3- Why if sometimes I eat 5000 kcal, I only gain 700 grams the next day ?
    4- Why on extreme diets, I keep loosing muscles while my body fat doesn't move
    etc...

Cheers
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I dont and I'm getting really, really sick of all the forum posts here lately TELLING us what to do. Everyone is sudenly an expert on complete strangers bodies - even people who are 100lbs overweight and been here for a week are suddenly experts on my body.

Ive stuck to 1200-1400 calories since May, lost 55lbs (25kgs) and never had a gain - during this time Ive also spent 5 weeks on international or interstate holidays too. I dont eat my exercise calories back (well obviously sometimes just 200) and I am so over people telling me to eat more or that my muscles are drying up. I have just 5kgs to go now - and I understand it will slow. I wont be posting a 'help me' post once it slows, or even if I plateau which I know is inevitable soon.

Blah blah, spout your science all you want (outdated and un specific that it is) - but do what you want with YOUR body. Leave me to do mine! (OK, rant over).
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. In fact, you are totally right here :-)

Everybody reacts differently.
    Thus it takes times to know/ deal with our own body. I wrote that because I made big mistakes, and by wanted to control my body, I pushed too far and payed the price. I won't tell you what you need to do strictly, see them more like mistakes to avoid. Here is what I've written yesterday into another post : (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/455079-cheat-days)

"In fact after I read tons and tons of people diet story, the only conclusion that comes is "Listen to your body, being too restrictive is the worst thing to do". "

I apology if I may hurt you brookepenni