Eating After Six...

Options
Friends... I have heard it more than once that you should never eat 4 hours before you sleep. A few years ago I lost a significant amount of weight by changing my diet a bit and not eating after six. I am at this phase now that it is really hard to get all my calories in before that time especially if I am exercising around 4 and not wanting to eat an hour before hand.

What I am wondering is, "Is this whole 4 hours thing folklore?" how much truth is there to it? Help me out. thanks!

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Six? I heard eight!

There is no basis for it whatsoever. Your metabolisim works 24 hours. Some people use this rule as its uncomfortable for them if they eat to close to sleep or they make this rule because they snack a lot and it's to keep their cals down. But provided you are under your calories for that day/week/month/year eating after a certain time won't hinder weight loss.
  • jenlb99
    jenlb99 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much bunk. Time makes no difference, so long as you stay within your caloric range. You'll see a bunch of ripped guys follow my post saying the same thing, and many eat just before going to bed.

Congrats on your weight loss! :)
  • ThinMissEmma
    Options
    For me, as long as I have the available calories and I'm hungry, I eat. I really don't care what time of the day it is. A calorie is a calorie. I think that whole thing stated as a way to prevent people from mindless eating in front of the TV and during the evening.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. I will eat 800 calories right before bed time if I have them left.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Folklore.

Though I think it can help to break habits like mindless snacking in front of the TV at night (if that's something that is a problem for an individual) but I don't think your body really cares what time it is.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant. I will eat 800 calories right before bed time if I have them left.

^^^This

"Don't eat before bed" is the biggest load of broscience......

If you still have macros left, eat them.. if you don't then stop. No matter the time.

I got a little carried away today and didn't plan my meals very well. I just ended up eating 1k cals and will go to bed within the hour. I will probably sleep like a baby too....
  • Amburglar
    Options
    I use a 2 hour rule and it seems to work. I typically spend about and hour to an hour and half in the gym every day (starting at 5pm or after) and prefer to eat after I work out when my body is in premium calorie burning mode.
    And I have a snack 2 hours before bed.

No scientific study, but it works for me.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I sometimes keep a "just in case" snack on my nightstand beside my water. Never know if I'll wake up hungry. Eat whenever you are hungry! :D
  • boodlelibra
    boodlelibra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    LOL I thought it said sex... :noway: :laugh:
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I just finished eating a snack and will be heading to bed shortly,I had the calories left over....

So,I figured why not?
  • BlondeLisa1
    BlondeLisa1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't just because I have a medication I need to take on an empty stomach and can't be followed by food. Night time is the most convenient time for me to do that so I can eat breakfast in the morning after my workout.
  • tigerdactyl
    tigerdactyl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It was a great rule for me to follow before I started heating healthy. As others have mentioned, a lot of people just mindlessly snack before bed, so that rule is a good way to stop it. I'd grab a bag of Oreos and devour them before bed without even thinking. I'm actually snacking on some peanuts right now because I need to get up to 1200 calories, then I'm hitting the bed.
  • deliak2010
    Options
    I always heard that as well but never knew it was true.. this thread has definitely cleared that up for me. Thanks for sharing guys! And good luck to you all on your journeys :)
  • tracym17
    tracym17 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    LOL I thought it said sex... :noway: :laugh:

me too and eating after sex is something I absolutely do and that is almost always after six!

calories in/out are what matter. time it happens makes no difference.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you shouldn't eat 3-4 hours before you go to bed so if you are going to bed at 10pm I would say nothing after 6 or 7 pm. I try to have a light snack myself not all the time just every now and then.

I truthfully think it all depends on the person themselves to be honest everyone is different what works for you might not work for someone else.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The only reason you would want to avoid late night eating would be:

1) If it causes you discomfort or digestive distress, or sleep problems/etc.
    2) If it causes you to overeat for the day.

From a body composition standpoint it doesn't matter. What matters is the balance between fat oxidation and fat storage, and if you are in a deficit over the course of time, fat oxidation exceeds fat storage and the end result is fat loss regardless of WHEN you are eating.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I heard you'll get the diabeetus if you eat after 6p.

Not really - Sidesteal speaks the truth!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    It's 5:59. At 6, you turn into a pumkin
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    To quote Bender the Robot, "Lies! Lies and slander!"

I dropped 32 lbs last year. My wife and I don't eat dinner until after 8. It's about caloric intake, not timing. While it would make sense that eating right before you go to bed is bad because you are semi-immobile for 6-8 hours, it's just not true.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Seeing this topic again I thought it said "Eating after sex".

You can eat after sex and after six, both are acceptable... Just don't go over your macros ;)