Is there such thing as too much Vitamin C or A?

I recently just started taking the One A Day Multivitamins and every time I finish logging every day I check my nutrition summary. Along with my daily intake and then the mutilvitamins, my Vitamin A and Vitamin C intake has been really high. Like today, my total Vitamin A was 127% and Vitamin C was 110%. Thats actually one of the lowest it has been all week.
My question to everyone is, is there such thing has TOO MUCH Vitamin C or Vitamin A. Should I scale back on the vitamins or am I worrying too much? :ohwell:

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    You cannot have too much Vitamin C. Vitamin C is water soluble and any excess will be excreted in the urine. Vitamin A, on the other hand, is fat soluble and any excess will be stored in the body and may build up over time, but it is unlikely that you would build up enough to cause a problem. :)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Vitamin A can be toxic at certain levels and as carrie said it builds up in your system. I think it would take a LOT to get a toxic effect though. The RDA requirements are minimum (not maximum) requirements and there's a separate scale for safe upper limits. You might want to look that up.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    a carrot a day keeps the vitamin A at bay...
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Just wanted to add that women who might get pregnant or might already be pregnant should be extra mindful of vit A limits. It's important to get the required amounts, but it's one of the vitamins that can cause birth defects IF you get too much (not sure what that limit is, if anyone's interested, look it up).
  • mahidac
    mahidac Posts: 126 Member
    Just wanted to add that women who might get pregnant or might already be pregnant should be extra mindful of vit A limits. It's important to get the required amounts, but it's one of the vitamins that can cause birth defects IF you get too much (not sure what that limit is, if anyone's interested, look it up).

this is very true - hence why they always pregnancy test women before giving the isotrentinoin to clear up acne in teens

but back to the subject - to overdose on vitamin A you would need to eat the equivalent Vit A that is present in a polar bear liver - which is an astronomical amount, so you dont have to worry about going over from your multivitamin
  • krbn2
    krbn2 Posts: 98 Member
    If your vitamin levels are pretty good with the food you're already eating and your multivitamins are chewable or solid, you could cut them in half. (I would not recommend cutting a gel vitamin in half :P ) Or you could take them every other day.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Here you go! I found this website useful when learning about vitamins:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/lifestyle-guide-11/vitamins-minerals-how-much-should-you-take
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    but back to the subject - to overdose on vitamin A you would need to eat the equivalent Vit A that is present in a polar bear liver - which is an astronomical amount, so you dont have to worry about going over from your multivitamin

WOOT! Someone else remember the polar bear liver trivia too!! You made my night. :drinker: