Too much protein?

Is it possible to get too much protein and what exactly are the consequences? The only meat I really eat is chicken and it's typically packed with protein. I am constantly going over my daily goal for protein and I'm trying to decide what I should do to change this...or if I even need to?! Thanks :)

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    How much are you eating daily? I personally feel that MFP's allowance is kind of low, especially if you're trying to build muscle. I usually try to hit 100 grams daily.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Cham, I made a thread about that earlier tonight. There is a lot of insightful information there.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    the only people who should be worried about getting too much protein are those with kidney problems. but even that is debatable.

the usda, fda and cdc all recommend around 40-60 grams a day of protein. if you are a hardcore athlete or are trying to build muscle, then you may need to increase that by 50%.
  • cmevans22
    cmevans22 Posts: 30 Member
    I just checked...apparently my goal is 53g I think it said...I had 80 today?!?! Oops..? lol
  • MadDogTannen22
    MadDogTannen22 Posts: 88 Member
    I can never get enough protein! I try protein drinks, greek yogurt, and chicken is my main meat, but can never get over 100 grams! (I'm allergic to eggs), what else is everyone eating to get all this protein?
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    I think too much protein can lead to something called kytosis (if I'm remembering correctly). However, that's only on a high protein, low carb diet for an extended period of time.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Cottage cheese?

I think my advised protein intake is low too. Im on chicken, eggs, CC and whey protein on a daily basis and the last two days Ive gone over......Im not worried though, least Im not feeling hungry