Just Starting Training for a Half-Marathon

Options
I decided to start training for the Detroit Half-Marathon in October! I have always enjoyed running and one of my good friends was visiting this weekend and she was talking about doing a half-marathon, so I looked up when a local one would be, and it is October. Plus, this gives me plenty of time to build up endurance..I like running, but I haven't done it for a long period of time in a while! I'm hoping that this will also help me get over the "plateau" I seemed to have hit. I keep bouncing back and forth between the same 3 lbs!!! ARGH!!!

Replies

• greysweatshirt
    Options
    I decided to start training for the Detroit Half-Marathon in October! I have always enjoyed running and one of my good friends was visiting this weekend and she was talking about doing a half-marathon, so I looked up when a local one would be, and it is October. Plus, this gives me plenty of time to build up endurance..I like running, but I haven't done it for a long period of time in a while! I'm hoping that this will also help me get over the "plateau" I seemed to have hit. I keep bouncing back and forth between the same 3 lbs!!! ARGH!!!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! Anyone that is a runner has my admiration. That takes some serious discipline!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    good luck...if you get a chance,,,,,do a few 10ks to get a feel for it:smile:
  • stevieg_fan
    Options
    Good for you! I'm in for about 6 miles then I'm out... so truly admire that commitment. Good Luck!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I have one that I would like to do in August....if my lovely job doesnt get in the way....... :noway:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm training for my 3rd half marathon April 11th and my 4th will be May 2nd. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: There are lots of great programs out there. I started with Hal Higdon's beginner plan, this time around I'm using a FIRST program from http://www.runnersworld.com

Let me know if you have any questions and feel free to join in on the runners thread here!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Good Luck training. I did the Detroit Freepress for my first full last year and loved the course. I actually picked it because I began running while living in Canada so it seemed right to do my first full with part of the course on Canadian soil. The bridge, windsor waterfront, and underwater mile were favorites of mine. Belle Isle is also nice but the half doesn't make it out that far.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    Good luck. I am training for my 6th half marathon, and then a 7th just three weeks after that one. It really is a big accomplishment. Try to enjoy it a bit too.