Macros question ...probably a repeat...sorry

Options
I have lost a fair amount of weight already and I am nearing my goal...I would like to drop my body fat% and lose approximately another 15-20 pounds... I do strength training and cardio but know I really need to tweak my nutrition. I am allergic to dairy and soy products so my difficult spot has been getting enough protein, I have just been going off of the mfp suggested macros but really want to dig in and fine tune things. I want to build muscle and drop body fat

I know if you are trying to build muscle you should have 1 gram of protein per pound...right? My question here is which would get me the best results, going off of my goal weight or my current weight, or would it make a difference?

My other question is where should my carbs and fat macro's be?

I realize this may be a repetitive question... sorry, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I'm far too lazy to do the actual research, but you might find some answers here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/457-unofficial-mfp-faq
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    its more important to intake calories than a lot of protein to build muscle. i have seen in different nutritional data bases that 1 gram per lb of body weight to gain muscle. i have seen 0.7-0.8 per lb. it needs protein to make muscle tissue. but the more doesnt mean the bigger. thats been pretty much proven. also..if you are looking to maintain muscle mass, you need to go on your goal weight.

you can eat 300 grams of protein and only get 1000 calories, that doesnt mean you'll grow muscle. you need to eat to grow muscle mass.

you cant lose body fat and grow muscle at the same time..basically. so you either eat above maintenance and lift heavy and grow muscle..or go on a small calorie deficit, lift heavy and lose fat but maintain muscle mass. it took me a while to tweek my calorie intake for me to grow muscle.
  • BigDaddy822
    Options
    What I do and seems to work the best is 40% of your calories come's from Protein, 40% from Carbs, 40% Fats
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    What I do and seems to work the best is 40% of your calories come's from Protein, 40% from Carbs, 40% Fats
    Uhmm...that's 120%, if I'm not mistaken..
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

I know if you are trying to build muscle you should have 1 gram of protein per pound...right? My question here is which would get me the best results, going off of my goal weight or my current weight, or would it make a difference?

Thanks
    It's 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass, or if lean body mass is unknown, goal weight. For most women, this number is in the 100-120g/day range unless you're really tall. Since protein is 4 kcals per gram, that would give you a number that you'd divide into your total calorie intake to calculate your % of protein.

Your fat intake is similarly recommended to be about .35g per lb of of your lean body mass, and your carbs can be how many other calories you have left in your diet. Or you can fill your remaining cals with extra fats/carbs/or protein as well, but I'd recommend at least 120g per day minimally of carbs.

In short:

- Track your calories and create a moderate calorie deficit (500-1000/day)
    - Eat 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass (Your weight minus fat)
    - Eat .35g of fat per lb of body weight
    - Eat the rest of your calories in any combination of Protein/Fat/Carbohydrate
    - Lift weight at least 3 times per week (full body) to retain muscle using a professionally designed workout plan.
    - Be patient and consistent over time
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    You can purchase protein suppliments which are made for lactose intolerant people like you, research it on the net.
    Then drop a lot of complex carbs in favour of simple carbs.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    In short:

- Lift weight at least 3 times per week (full body) to retain muscle using a professionally designed workout plan.

^This.

Edit: I think it goes without saying, but I'm going to say it...If you want to truly build muscle you need to eat at a surplus. So when you reach your goal you won't need to have a deficit anymore and you can bump up your calories then...
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You can purchase protein suppliments which are made for lactose intolerant people like you, research it on the net.

I'm not lactose intollerant..I'm allergic...like if someone was allergic to shell fish, or raspberries..I'm allergic to Dairy and Soy...I found an egg white protein powder, 23 grams of protein per scoop... not as much as I want but I can make it work.

Thank you for the help though.. appreciate it :o)
  • Karabobarra
    Options

Thanks
    It's 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass, or if lean body mass is unknown, goal weight. For most women, this number is in the 100-120g/day range unless you're really tall. Since protein is 4 kcals per gram, that would give you a number that you'd divide into your total calorie intake to calculate your % of protein.

Your fat intake is similarly recommended to be about .35g per lb of of your lean body mass, and your carbs can be how many other calories you have left in your diet. Or you can fill your remaining cals with extra fats/carbs/or protein as well, but I'd recommend at least 120g per day minimally of carbs.

In short:

This helps alot ... thank you! :0)
  • Karabobarra
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I appreciate it!
  • Osu2k1
    Osu2k1 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

I'm not lactose intollerant..I'm allergic...like if someone was allergic to shell fish, or raspberries..I'm allergic to Dairy and Soy...I found an egg white protein powder, 23 grams of protein per scoop... not as much as I want but I can make it work.

Thank you for the help though.. appreciate it :o)
    23g is not bad! Mine is 27g. I personally do 40% protein & 30% fat & carbs. I just switched it up. I am having trouble hitting the protein, so I am going to drink more shakes. GL!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Don't eat more than 30% of your calories in protien. Check out my blog for more information

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/iddreams/view/the-truth-and-facts-about-protein-197731
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Don't eat more than 30% of your calories in protien. Check out my blog for more information

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/iddreams/view/the-truth-and-facts-about-protein-197731

30% is obviously going to change depending on calorie intake.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options

Not really, the more calories you take in, the more you eat in protien. The blog explains it in more detail - I just didn't think it appropriate to post a repeat of what the blog explains.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

Might want to read up a bit and update your blog. McDonald wrote an entire book on protein.

In short, there's no reason to avoid a high protein diet, and the benefits of this high protein diet far outweighs the minimal if at all risks.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/protein-controversies.html
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options

Might want to read up a bit and update your blog. McDonald wrote an entire book on protein.

In short, there's no reason to avoid a high protein diet, and the benefits of this high protein diet far outweighs the minimal if at all risks.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/protein-controversies.html

I never said to avoid a high protien diet, rather that it must be properly balanced. BTW, my information is the most up-to-date. I work in nutrition, and this is a topic of interest for me for the past 9 years. Too much protien is bad, but well-balanced protien is good. Did you read all of what I wrote, or are you judging based on what you percieve?
  • chrisdavey
    Options

Not really, the more calories you take in, the more you eat in protien. The blog explains it in more detail - I just didn't think it appropriate to post a repeat of what the blog explains.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-truth-behind-5-food-myths.html
    I trust this guy.
    http://alanaragon.com/
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    Feel free to trust fellow bodybuilders and athletes for your information. I personally prefer medical and scientific information compounded by sound research and facts. You may not agree with my information, but it is based on solid scientific research.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Feel free to trust fellow bodybuilders and athletes for your information. I personally prefer medical and scientific information compounded by sound research and facts. You may not agree with my information, but it is based on solid scientific research.

You may want to read some of Alan Aragon & Lyle McDonald's stuff as they are far from just bodybuilder's and athletes.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I'm curious as your take on this paper

Protein and amino acids for athletes. J Sports Sci. 2004 Jan;22(1):65-79.
    www.uni.edu/dolgener/Advanced_Sport.../protein_intake.pdf
    Since there is evidence that protein intakes above the RDA may be beneficial to athletes, a risk–benefit analysis may be useful. An important consideration is the potential harm that may arise from elevated protein intakes. There is little research into the maximum tolerable protein intake in healthy individuals. It has been suggested that excessive protein intakes may increase calcium loss, thus affecting bone health. However, since a major portion of bone is protein, excessive protein does not appear to influence bone health. High protein intakes have been suggested to pose a risk for the kidneys but, in healthy individuals with no underlying kidney disease (presumably most elite athletes), there is no evidence for harm to kidneys with higher intakes. Certainly, it would be detrimental for an athlete to consume excess protein at the expense of other nutrients required to support the necessary level of training and competition. There is a suggestion that intakes greater than 40% of total energy intake
    might be the upper limit. Protein intakes greater than 40% may limit intake of fat and/or carbohydrates, thus compromising the benefits of these nutrients. However, given the high energy intakes of most elite athletes, protein intakes higher than 40% are unlikely in most. Even a small female restricting energy intake and consuming only 1500 kcal would need to consume 150 g of protein to reach 40%.
    Even if 2.5–3.0 g protein kg71 BW day71 is consumed and this amount of protein is more than the synthetic machinery can process, the excess will simply be oxidized. As long as the intake of other nutrients important to the success of an athlete is not compromised, there appears to be little harm in ingesting these high amounts