pottery / ceramic work & calories burned?

Options
anyone have any insight on how many calories are burned wedging clay, working clay on a wheel, etc would burn? I know after a 2-3 hour session my arms, shoulders, and hands are sore, and I've definitely broken a sweat working before. just looking for a ballpark, or something similar I could log it as.

Replies

• lindsr2
    lindsr2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I would also love to know. It's definitely not easy. Even knitting burns some calories, so I'm sure wedging and throwing must!
  • lilteepot
    Options
    I did some googling, and the best I could find was "active arts/crafts, standing, moderate effort" was 238 calories per hour. Of course, we all know pottery is "moderate effort" at its worst... Wedging, mixing, centering... And I use a kick wheel in my home studio as well, so... Even loading and unloading the kiln! I typically use about 250 cal/hour.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    would you be able to find the link for this info? I just got done working on my kick wheel and my arms are so sore, but I don't sweat like I would burning 300 calories doing a workout video.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    HI:

I use my Heart Rate Monitor for the gym and also for physical activity like gardening.

It gives me calories burned for each. I just pressed the start button when I start the activity and Stop at the end. Some models have a Pause button too. You enter your height, weight, age and other data when you configure the device. I found the models with strap, work better for me.

Very helpful

Good luck in your journey