What's your honest view on.....

Options
Ahluvly
Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
.....nutritionists?

Has anyone seen one to help them improve their lifestyle and manage their weight better? If so, how did you find it?

I'm really interested to know if anyone has 5 mins to spare ;-)

Replies

• prism68
    prism68 Posts: 11
    Options
    I saw one years ago and found it helpful. They generally know their stuff and can look over a food diary and pinpoint trouble areas, make good recommendations, etc.. I just hired a personal trainer for the first time myself, so I'm all about using expert resources now ;)
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Oooh interesting! When you saw the nutritionist, did they approach food in the way of, "Avoid this, eat more of that...or was it more calories based, you should be eating X amount etc?".

Let me know how you get on with the PT. I found out this week there's a freelance one at my gym and the first session is free so I may consider it!
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have seen one and I am glad i wasn't paying for it!

She showed me a plate and said "this much should be meat, this much starch, this much vegetables"

Then told me that cheese was fattening.

And a few other bits of useless information.

Unless they are actually going to do bloodwork and see if you have alergies or your body reacts poorly to certain foods then they are a waste of money IMHO.

I am sure a nutritionist will chime in and give other info but that is my experience!
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I saw one about a year ago. She left with more information than she provided. I told her about MFP and some of my theories on weight loss and nutrition. She just basically co-signed what I said and seemed genuinely surprised that there were things like apps that track your exercise for your phone and other apps similar to this one. It was a complete waste of time. I was sorely disappointed.
  • prism68
    prism68 Posts: 11
    Options
    I saw one due to a diabetes diagnosis, but was really thin at the time so she was more concerned with the balance of foods, but I think they work around your personal goals. She gave me food lists of the lowest and highest glycemic index, for instance. Good luck :)
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good idea if you need educated. Nutritionists have vast knowledge, and if what you need is education, then that's the way to go. On the other hand, it's been my experience that others tend not to listen to good advice if they aren't truly ready to do everything else that needs to be done as well. It's not as simple as learning some tricks with what to eat.. it's about the interplay of portion, exercise and nutrition.
  • popchex
    popchex Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I saw one when I was pregnant about 3 years ago, and she couldn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I've learned so much about food and nutrition though, on my own, and because of food intolerances in my family, that it was a waste of time.

That said, if you have no idea where to start, it could be a good way to get a helping hand with ideas, until it comes naturally to you. :) Find one that works though, not fxst78's person. lol
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    I saw one once. At the end of our discussion. She said "you know more about this that I do" I said "that's because I've been doing it for longer" :happy:
  • 2LoveAndHate
    2LoveAndHate Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Oooh interesting! When you saw the nutritionist, did they approach food in the way of, "Avoid this, eat more of that...or was it more calories based, you should be eating X amount etc?".

Let me know how you get on with the PT. I found out this week there's a freelance one at my gym and the first session is free so I may consider it!

They calculate your calories and then work out portions for your favourite food.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I saw a nutritionist before starting this is October 2011. I continue to see her once a month, actually today is my January appointment. She is another source of support.

The initial meeting of 1-2 hours long was very informative and provided lots of valuable information and booklets. I send her a sample of my food diary every month. I dont go through and find the 4-5 best days each month. I take a week and send it all by email along with the good and the bad before my monthly appointment. She uses these to evaluate how I am doing, how my ratios of say protein vs carbs is working or not. She is always available for phone convos in between sessions too.

So far she's given me new booklets every session, including lo-cal recipes compiled by the nutrition staff with the hospital. She loves to see me coming as the receptionist tells me that I'm one of her best success stories. LOL The receptionist says she is always bragging on me. -blushes-

She is like a mini-cheerleader with the medical background that I dont have or I wouldnt be in this shape. I bring back the info she gives and share it with my friends on MFP. Questions that continously come up here in MFP I can take to her a get advice and her opinion based on her background, not just her own personal experience as most of us bring here.

Bottom line I'll continue my monthly appointments as long as I am learning new things and she is a helpful aid in my journey. It's very low cost (about $13 per month) so I give them a thumbs up!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Useless to me but I already know what action I need to take in detail to reach my goals.
    Some do not, and if that's you, consider it.
    It's better to consult a professional than flounder around until failure.

That's the path of most dieters.
    They eat like rooting hogs all year, then come January - BANG!
    They're now Food Nazi's, engaged in some absurd diet that's pure self-sabotage.
    And by the middle of February, they're cheating and by March they've already quit.

If you lack the knowledge and are serious about reaching your goals, consultation for food intake as well as exercise is valuable.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    My view is tainted because of my mom's horror story of going to one. I have never been to one and probably won't because of her experience...

She was born with diabetes...not the Type 2 you can "cure" with diet and exercise, but the kind that just won't ever be cured. Anyway, she had to go to a nutritionist when starting her new medications...and her glucose levels were normally around 150 or so beforehand...and she saw the nutritionist...and was then admitted to the hospital for a week with levels around 400, and she gained about 30 pounds. She ate EXACTLY what the nutritionist told her to eat.

Needless to say, she started doing what she knew was right all along, even though the "expert" told her it was wrong, and lost the weight and now her sugar is under control with no issues. She only went to the nutritionist by order of the doctor to cope with new meds...

Obviously this is an extreme case. I can't believe ALL nutritionists are that awful, but this one so close to home is enough for me to never personally go see one.
  • Rozlynmac
    Options
    I think they can be helpful for the reassurance if you've been doing the research and reading yourself. Like all humans they can be flawed, or brilliant. I saw one to help identify food intolerances, and I'd already done most of the work so most of what she said was useless, but it gave me the confidence that I was getting it right for myself and it wasn't just a case of me being a bit of drama queen about it all :)

I have thought of going back since, as my condition changes it's symptoms every few years, but as I run a lot too, I don't think a general one would be much use, I think I'd need to see a Sports Nutritionist to make sure I got better advice in that area.

If you're not sure about where you are/what you're doing/trying to achieve, then go, but go with an open mind - he/she may tell you stuff you don't want to hear or they may tell you stuff you know is bunkum, or you may come out enthused and raring to get stuck in....