Quitting C25K....

Options
2»

Replies

• eresin
    eresin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Are you running on the pavement or on grass? it could be the initial shock on pounding the concrete that is hurting your knees? Maybe try running somewhere grassy for a while and see if that helps?

My right knee was very sore when I first started running, thanksfully I work for a physiotherapist and he told me that it was just that my knees weren't used to the impact. I now alternate days running on grass with days on conrete and I try to be lighter when on the concrete.

Do you land heel first or forefoot?
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to wok on your form while running? I'm no expert but I hear it's important. I did a lot of research before I started C25K.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Don't ruin your knees, there are other excerises out there
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    There is a reason the C25K programme is only three times a week, and it's that your body needs time to recover.

So why punish your body with Zumba classes on your C25K rest days?

I'm not saying that if you don't do Zumba, your knees will magically be restored, but you're not giving your poor old body much of a chance! Zumba is high impact, if you must work out on rest days, then do something low impact like swimming or cycling.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I love to walk and have no problems there. I do own a bike and love to go on trails, except its too cold out now. I have taken aqua aerobics classes and now Zumba 2x/wk. I do not have a gym membership so I utilize my treadmill and DVDs when I can. My body was ok during the first 2 weeks of C25K. I felt like I was gaining endurance, except my knees just scream 24/7. I tried slowing down, etc. Nothing seems to work. I can walk for miles and feel fine. I always warm up/cool down and stretch. Is it possible i'm just not built to run?

If you are long in the torso and relatively short in the leg then running is probably not for you! Runners tend to be lean and long legged!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    The other thing to make sure of, whether walking or running, is to invest in a pair of shoes that have been 'fit' to your feet and how you walk. Don't go cheap, either.

When I started running I finally broke down and went to a local shoe store where they watch you walk to see how your feet land, if they rotate in or out, how your legs look, etc. They presented me with specific shoes that 'fit' my feet and they have been awesome. First pair of shoes I've ever owned that didn't hurt AT ALL the very first time I used them.

Proper fitting shoes make a world of difference.
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    The other thing to make sure of, whether walking or running, is to invest in a pair of shoes that have been 'fit' to your feet and how you walk. Don't go cheap, either.

When I started running I finally broke down and went to a local shoe store where they watch you walk to see how your feet land, if they rotate in or out, how your legs look, etc. They presented me with specific shoes that 'fit' my feet and they have been awesome. First pair of shoes I've ever owned that didn't hurt AT ALL the very first time I used them.

Proper fitting shoes make a world of difference.

I went to the New Balance store back in the fall b/c i was having issues with my feet going numb. I was properly evaluated and fitted for good shoes and inserts. Now, no more numbness.
  • kathleen2001
    Options
    An Orthopaedist I used to work for would tell people "not everybody is born a runner" . If you hurt to do it, try something else.
  • 3trees
    3trees Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Case study of 1 (myself). My knees used to hurt. I ran in high school. An orthopedist told me I had a choice for the rest of my life - stay in bed and not hurt my knees or be active and hurt my knees. He also told me to lie flat on my back and do straight leg lifts, one leg at a time, to build up my quads. That would help stabalize the knee, which would help. So, I did swimming, biking and TKD (karate) for 20 years. Then, one summer day about 6 years ago, I really wanted to run. Kinda like Forest Gump. First I ran a mile. I didn't follow a program, but I gradually built up. Then I added mileage too fast training for my first half marathon and got plantar fasciitis. But that healed and I got back to running (slowly). I did my first 50 (fifty) mile race last fall in a little over 12 hours. I take glucosamine, which may help. I could still lose more weight. Anyway, I'm telling you all this to say bad knees don't have to be bad forever. I don't know if it was the stronger quads, or learning to run with a shorter stride, or something else entirely, but now I'm a runner. So, if your knees hurt now, I'd back off the running. But if you want to run, I'd try again. Seeing a physio may help. A chiro has helped stop injuries for me in the past couple years. Good luck!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    OK, I am long in the torso and have shorter legs relatively speaking for a 5'6" person. I do not fit the runner sterotype but I am really benefitting from it and I have/had only lost 34 pounds when I started it. I have 70 I think to go. I am older too. However I run very slow. In fact MFP says it is a very fast paced walk but that is what seems to injure me, very fast paced walks. My slower smooth jog is really easier on me than trying to walk fast with my relatively short legs. I have a long neck too. The point is I don't worry about any definition about what I am doing and running. I know for me right now I am running. I am also getting faster but at my pace. I do not think that you should continue with C25K if it isn't good for you but on the other hand there is often something that you can change about how you are going about it to make it work right for you which is why you posted this. It has been great for me and I love the way I can do it almost when and where I want. I don't use the treadmill much. I do Aquafit too and it has been great for me. In fact I know that it works well for me with running because I can stretch in the water so well. I am suipposing you have searched the web for this. Recently I asked my brother-in-law, who is the fittest 60+ year old I know and now can't run due to arthritst in his toes if he regretted running. He said no way. He said it wasn't the running, he would have gotten it anyway and running kept him in good shape so now he is an amazing bicyclist. It quieted my fears I got from so many people saying they can't run or that I shouldn't run etc. etc. If you can't find the answer yes quit but if you do, run if that is what you want. Just find your way and don't worry what others call it.
  • Sk8rG
    Sk8rG Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have tried running numerous times....turns out that I just don't like it! I want to like it, but I don't. My shins and ankles dont hold up well, even when I was lighter. But I love swimming, so I started training and I now do ocean swims. They are a lot of fun and it makes for a really good day. Enjoy your lifestyle and find what suit you, don't try and squeeze yourself into a box not meant for you :)

This! I REALLY wanted to LIKE running. I put a lot of effort into getting "better" at it in the hopes that I would eventually like it. I even managed a 5K race in May, injuring myself in the process; spent the last 8 months in physio and have finally come to the conclusion that I will never like it and it will never like me. I'll stick to my skates. But I do like the effect that running had on the shape of my legs, so I still walk as often as a can....on a treadmill...with a book...feels less painful that way.
  • klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    There is a reason the C25K programme is only three times a week, and it's that your body needs time to recover.

So why punish your body with Zumba classes on your C25K rest days?

I'm not saying that if you don't do Zumba, your knees will magically be restored, but you're not giving your poor old body much of a chance! Zumba is high impact, if you must work out on rest days, then do something low impact like swimming or cycling.

Yup. This is exactly what I was going to say. My knees are thankfully fine, but I've been nursing a sprained toe for going on three months now. My pain is pretty low, but I start to feel it toward the end of each C25K session. So, I make sure I'm only doing it the three days a week.

Other than that, I just walk to school and do really minimal free weight stuff in my apartment.

Be kind to your joints!