Hey, pear-shaped women...

Options
Just a question to those "pears" out there... has anyone experienced this: After losing weight (i'm down about 20 lbs since joining MFP) I've noticed that my upper body is starting to look a little boney (muscular, but boney) while my lower body (i.e. hips and thighs... the trouble zones) doesn't seem to see much change. I've lost about 4-5 inches off my waist, plus 2-3 off my chest, but only maybe 2 inches from my hips. And I know 2 inches is nothing to complain about! But I'm wondering, if I continue to lose more weight is my upper body just going to look more and more skeleton-like? Or will I soon start to see more change in my hips/thighs? To be honest, I would really like to NOT lose anymore up-top... I don't enjoy looking in the mirror and seeing my ribs poking out. :noway:

So... is anyone else noticing this?

Replies

• teagan911
    Options
    I feel your pain. I too would like to know how to prevent my ribs from showing through my shirt while my thighs rub and jiggle 0_o
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I have the same problem, it's very common. You're most likely genetically predisposed to carrying fat on certain areas of your body. For some people it's their tummies, for other people it's their lower body. Unfortunately, it will probably be the last to come off. Just keep at it! I notice around a certain weight that I feel really disproportionate (super skinny on top and heavy on the bottom), but another 5-8 lbs. or so lighter, and everything evens out.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can't choose where you lose from.. so if you continue to lose, it may very well come from up top and not from the bottom.

Are you lifting weights? That is what is going to really make a difference in your lower half. Squats, lunges, leg press etc will all help shape the lower half by making the muscles tighter and burning off the fat thats on top.
  • witheredorchid
    witheredorchid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My body is the same way. I can see my ribs yet my lower waist and thighs seem to havn't changed much at all.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! The top half of me looks good and the bottom not so LOL. I lost 15lbs and I feel like not much was lost in my lower half. I just plan to keep at it and eventually it will have to come off my butt, thighs and hips!
  • tisha220
    Options
    Don't lose faith once you lose enough weight things will be a little more evened out. My body is shaped the same too and when I had lost weight before it finally evened out at about size 10 for me. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
  • ComeAroundSundown
    ComeAroundSundown Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm like this too. Even when I lost my first 10 lbs and weighed around 158 (I'm 5'6''), my friends were commenting on the appearance of my collarbones - which started to noticeably stick out. Now, they stick out quite a lot and my arms are becoming thin, while my lower body has changed but not much. We can't choose were our fat is stored/lost, unfortunately. I'm just going to continue exercising, maintain a calorie deficit, and hope that the next few pounds come off where I want them to! :ohwell:
  • Cat_296
    Cat_296 Posts: 40
    Options
    Yeah, this happens to me too! I do find that I reach a certain point on top and _then _ I start to see weight coming off my bum and thighs. It's really annoying for a while, but keep at it and you'll even out :happy:
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    Glad to hear your responses! I'm doing Jillian Michael's: Killer Buns and Thighs and Ripped in 30 videos 3-5 times a week... there's lots of squats and lunges in those for sure! And I'm thinking of starting walking/jogging 2-3 times a week. Hopefully it helps.

I know there's no "Magic Bullet" approach to this and that you can't spot-reduce... I guess I just want to know if it will EVER go away before I become a walking skeleton on my top half. :frown:

And if anyone has any suggestions of workout videos to try or exercises that they like to do, please share!
  • missyshelle
    Options
    When I lost weight a few years ago, one friend remarked that I looked like I was melting from the top down...lol. I am more hourglass shaped and lose in my boobs and thighs last. But I did get to point where my ribs were visible, collarbone very visible, face really thin but still had thighs and hips.

I incorporated running into my workout and once I added Pilates/Yoga into the workout as well, I saw more changes in my hip/thigh area. I highly recommend Pilates. Seriously, nothing changed my body more or made it look more lean.
  • pringle83
    pringle83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am the same, bony shoulders, shrunken breasts and still massive hips and thighs :(
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    when I weighed 121lbs (Nov 2009) I was still a size 10 in jeans.. so I totally feel your pain!!!
  • peggy363
    Options
    I also have the same problem! I have always lost weight on my top half first and it does discourage me because I lose so much weight in my face and breast and rib cage area first, I have tried exercising my hips and butt area more while dieting to try and at least tone it up. I usually get so discouraged with how thin my face and rib cage looks that I quit all together. I am trying this again but I am not taking my calorie intake down to low this time and taking it off slowly to see if that may help some and adding a lot more exercise to my hips and leg area. I thought that when I would lose weight it would lose proportionally from all over my body but after dieting and losing weight I realized that it is not that way at all, I have just had to accept that fact that I will always be bigger built on the bottom,
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Yep! Down from a size 26/28 top to a size 18/16/XL top, but from 26/28 pant down to size 22 pant. I can feel my rib cage and those inches are coming off, but not so much with my hips and booty!
  • soniyamas
    soniyamas Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Running. Yup running has helped me a lot to reduce my lower half.
  • ComeAroundSundown
    ComeAroundSundown Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight a few years ago, one friend remarked that I looked like I was melting from the top down...lol. I am more hourglass shaped and lose in my boobs and thighs last. But I did get to point where my ribs were visible, collarbone very visible, face really thin but still had thighs and hips.

I incorporated running into my workout and once I added Pilates/Yoga into the workout as well, I saw more changes in my hip/thigh area. I highly recommend Pilates. Seriously, nothing changed my body more or made it look more lean.

I second this! I started doing pilates around a week ago and I can already see a difference in my body, especially my legs and butt :) It's a fun workout, too :bigsmile:
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I understand the curse of being a pear shaped woman.

Put it this way, I weigh 92lb and my bum is still big in comparison to the rest of me. People get shocked over how skinny my waist is, but I'm told that I have plenty of meat on my legs and thighs still! It's crazy.

I think to get more proportioned you'll have to add muscle mass to your upper body.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options

Do you have a Pilates/Yoga video that you recommend? I prefer to do workouts at home as I don't have a gym membership. I have an old pilates video from years ago when the trend became more popular, and I hated it! So maybe there's something newer and more fun! I'm definitely open to suggestions. :) Has anyone tried the P90X yoga? My bf has the videos that I could borrow if it would be worth it.
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    had this issue my whole life! my arms, shoulders and neck have always been really skinny... lower legs too... when i put weight on I literally look like a pear ( into which someone has jokingly inserted some matchsticks.. ;-) I'm lucky I do have sustantial boobs which balance it out a bit!
  • adjoa84
    adjoa84 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yep in the same boat! Ive only been on here snice Monday but ive been exercising for the past three weeks lost nearly two inches on my waist but nothing on my hips. Like suggested I'd incorporate some upper body weight training so the top half looks more toned rather than skinny and bottom half? just keep at it and increase your walking and running....i need to take my own advice re running lol for me it's the only way to get my hips down