Calories burned teaching

Options
13»

Replies

• mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I think there have been some harsh replies to this thread - i thought we were supposed to be supportive - i think if OP feels that this is activity above her normal day then it is fine to log it - if its logged at 50 cals and hour i dont feel that is unreasonable. I agree that working additional evening hours on top of a day job will make you feel hungry but if OP is only planning on an extra 100 cals (for 2 hours work) then i think this is a reasonable plan.

I think I agree. The OP isn't counting it as exercise, she just wants to get her calorie balance right.
  • trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I teach at a University 1 night a week. I found another website that calculated the standing and manually entered those calories into my exercise log. I log those since it is not an everyday thing.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    The reason I wanted to, to be honest with you, is that I wanted to justify eating a little more when I got home. Cuz I was starving last night!
    I probably wouldn't specifically log it, but you shouldn't stress out if you go over calories a bit on those days either. I used to tend bar as a second job, and standing for long periods of time really does take its toll on your body, so I do agree with others that its not "cardio", its definitely burning more calories than usual....

I see what you're saying, don't log it, but don't stress if I go over my cals a little on those days. Sounds reasonable.

Shoot! But this takes me right back to the problem I'm having which is the numbers. I have a spreadsheet where I track my numbers and I know for a FACT when I've lost a pound because I have a system (LOL). If I don't log, it's gonna throw off my numbers. I guess when I weigh in on Sunday I will see by how much.
    Bottom line is....you need to do whatever works best for YOU...as long as you're careful not to overestimate the calories burned, you should be fine.

This should be helpful (but it looks like your 50 cal per hour estimate is spot-on). http://www.livestrong.com/article/73916-calories-burned-standing-vs.-sitting/

Thanks for this.
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    Yes but you do that everyday. I teach everyday and so that's a part of my daily activity so it doesn't count. But that usually goes from 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.. But last night (and tonight) is from 8:30 a.m. - 8:30 p.m..

Is it worth it to you to go over and slow down your weight loss? If so, log it.

Why do you have to be so trifling? All I asked was a question and you have yet to answer it. I didn't ask, SHOULD i log it, I asked how much calories do you think is burned during teaching. If you don't know the answer, then move on. There is nothing here that states you HAVE to reply.
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    Shoot! But this takes me right back to the problem I'm having which is the numbers. I have a spreadsheet where I track my numbers and I know for a FACT when I've lost a pound because I have a system (LOL). If I don't log, it's gonna throw off my numbers. I guess when I weigh in on Sunday I will see by how much.

I have a spreadsheet too. <3

Waiting to see on Sunday is a perfect idea.

Isn't it great? I LOVE updating my own thing. The previous poster needs to realize that not everyone can log into MFP everyday. As a matter of fact, the other day I was without internet for a few days but thank God for my own spreadsheet.
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    If you burn 7-900 calories working out and only eat 1300..you need to be eating more anyways. You don't need to add more exercise to justify it. You're SUPPOSED to eat back most of what you burn. GO EAT! And I understand, I am a substitute teacher and am always wayyyy hungrier on days I teach, so I usually eat a little bit more ,because I know I've burned more than I would've sitting on the couch at home.

I said 500-700. And if I want to lose 1 lb a week, I have to eat this amount.
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    I think there have been some harsh replies to this thread - i thought we were supposed to be supportive - i think if OP feels that this is activity above her normal day then it is fine to log it - if its logged at 50 cals and hour i dont feel that is unreasonable. I agree that working additional evening hours on top of a day job will make you feel hungry but if OP is only planning on an extra 100 cals (for 2 hours work) then i think this is a reasonable plan.

Thank you! One of the few persons to actually answer the question asked.
  • jamaicanlady
    Options

I think I agree. The OP isn't counting it as exercise, she just wants to get her calorie balance right.

Exactly
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    I teach at a University 1 night a week. I found another website that calculated the standing and manually entered those calories into my exercise log. I log those since it is not an everyday thing.

This is what I mean. If it's not an everyday thing, then it's extra.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    What about using a pedometer? I think folks like teachers walk a lot more than you might realise during their work.
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    What about using a pedometer? I think folks like teachers walk a lot more than you might realise during their work.

I thought about this too. I just might get one.
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I count half of the time as walking 2.0 mph... so if I teach a 75 minute class I enter like 35 minutes of walking ... just in case I am just standing some of the time... I am all over the room never sitting either...
  • FirewifeCarrie
    Options
    Amen! Geeze people we are all here for the same reason so why all the lashing out at one another?!
    I am a 5th grade teacher and have quite often wondered how many calories I burn during the day at school...not for logging purposes but to just know. One of these days I'm going to wear my HRM just to see. I'm constantly walking quickly to be somewhere 5 minutes ago (LOL), pacing back and forth (can't stand still), bending, squatting, etc....
    Let's remember..if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all! :flowerforyou:
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If you burn 7-900 calories working out and only eat 1300..you need to be eating more anyways. You don't need to add more exercise to justify it. You're SUPPOSED to eat back most of what you burn. GO EAT! And I understand, I am a substitute teacher and am always wayyyy hungrier on days I teach, so I usually eat a little bit more ,because I know I've burned more than I would've sitting on the couch at home.

I said 500-700. And if I want to lose 1 lb a week, I have to eat this amount.

Do you eat your exercise calories from your work out back? That may help
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Wow- some people need to check their attitudes. She simply asked for help, and some took it to being rude. Honestly, that is just ugly. We are all here to support each other. I try to be positive and helpful when posting- not act like a know it all about weight loss. Sorry, rant over. I am also a teacher and it is definitely not a sedentary job. You are moving and on your feet all day long. Personally, I would just eat something if I was hungry and didn't have the extra calories. You truly need to listen to your body- and it won't cause you to gain or stall your weight loss if you are making healthy choices. Remember, you are already eating in a caloric deficit. Make a few egg whites and some veggies- low calorie and filling. Honestly, if you are burning that many calories through exercise each day, you may want to consider eating more anyway. I hope you find out what works best for you! :)