Water intake

Options
Hi pals

I'm a little confused with regards to my water intake. I know I should be drinking at least 8 glasses a day but does tea/coffee count towards this. I only drink 1 caffinated tea a day and then go on to decaff.

Replies

• TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I count cups to tea/coffee as a glass of water :-)
  • kellylt00
    Options
    From what I've been able to find, the only ones that count towards your daily water intake are decaffienated teas/coffees that are made with pure water. Caffienated beverages do not count towards daily water intake. You should really just try to drink more water. You should drink 1/2 oz. of water for every lb. you weigh. I hope this helps! :) Good luck!
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    My Nutritionist tells clients to count all water based products - tea, cofee, crystal light etc.

REF:
    Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Pure water is always better. It goes straight into the body with little to no effort. If anything is added, it takes a bit longer.

I get so much water in each day its not funny... Then I have diet coke and coffee and tea on top of that. You will get used to it.
  • bellanoctumn
    Options
    I would say that if it's caffeinated, it doesn't count, the reason is that caffeine actually dehydrates you, so make sure to drink back the ounces in water that you drank in caffeine. Also I've found that I am a lot more energetic now that I drink more water, 18+ glasses some days :). Have a great day!
  • Isidora87
    Options
    Does one glass of water equals 8 oz?
  • JG1807
    JG1807 Posts: 40
    Options
    Caffeinated - decaffeinated, fizzy - still. It matters not one jot in my opinion. Have more trust in your body's ability to regulate and maintain proper water balance. I drink anything except alcohol.
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    We just had a Dr. who researches obesity in America come into my work and do a presentation and she told us that we should be trying to drink at least half our wieght in oz of water every day. She told us that for those who are at the "normal weight" (120-150) the 8 glasses is about there. For those of us who are heavier we may not be getting enough. She did say that teas and the flavored waters count as water but its best for you body to have just the clear stuff with some lemon. I have to admit I have increased my water and at first I had to pee alot now its not so bad and I feel great I do not feel bloated all the time like I did!!