I will never eat pasta again!!!!

Options

Replies

• crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I had pasta with meat sauce and TWO pieces of garlic bread...I was at a funeral all day...and was just starving!! Since I have been doing so much better with my portions and eating this was not a good choice!!! My stomach hurt all night! Next time i will prepare.!!!
    Quinoa pasta is very good for you, and I believe it's gluten free.
  • monty_williams
    Options
    Someone said fettucini alfredo earlier. Now I know what I'm having for dinner tonight! Love it, one of my fav's.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    This was definitely just an issue related to not eating all day. Had you eaten well all day and had a normal portion of the pasta for dinner you wouldn't feel this way. Now you know that you need to plan ahead to have snacks on hand in case you can't get a meal in during the day.
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't see what the problem is - OP you only ate 1200 calories.
    your stomach probably hurt because you STARVED yourself all day.

I was thinking the same thing! Unless you have food intolerance (gluten or wheat)?
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    In a world full of pasta, I find this post highly unacceptable, whether it was said in jest or not, it is not appropriate.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Just had Ronzoni Smart Taste rotini for lunch. It and Dreamfields are particularly good for the carb sensitive (e.g. diabetics). I also make my own meat sauce. Many jarred sauces have too much sodium and oil.

About garlic bread: Many garlic breads are made with a lot of butter or oil and seasoned with garlic salt. One slice probably isn't bad. Any more than one, you will pack on the calories, fat and sodium.
  • davecreed
    davecreed Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had pasta with meat sauce and TWO pieces of garlic bread...I was at a funeral all day...and was just starving!! Since I have been doing so much better with my portions and eating this was not a good choice!!! My stomach hurt all night! Next time i will prepare.!!!

if it upsets you stomach...then don't eat it...but don't stop eating it cause you think its bad. moderation...small portions...(or its possible pasta doesn't like you...that happens to some for some foods lol) whole wheat pasta is excellent...but even regular pasta is fine. Here what science has to say about it , not me(taken from the Glycemic index website)

11. Why does pasta have a low GI?

Pasta has a low GI because of the physical entrapment of ungelatinised starch granules in a sponge-like network of protein (gluten) molecules in the pasta dough. Pasta is unique in this regard. As a result, pastas of any shape and size have a fairly low GI (30 to 60). Asian noodles such as hokkein, udon and rice vermicelli also have low to intermediate GI values.

Pasta should be cooked al dente ('firm to the bite'). And this is the best way to eat pasta - it's not meant to be soft. It should be slightly firm and offer some resistance when you are chewing it. Overcooking boosts the GI. Although most manufacturers specify a cooking time on the packet, don't take their word for it. Start testing about 2-3 minutes before the indicated cooking time is up. But watch that glucose load. While al dente pasta is a low GI choice, eating too much will have a marked effect on your blood glucose. A cup of al dente pasta combined with plenty of mixed vegetables and herbs can turn into three cups of a pasta-based meal and fits easily into any adult's daily diet.
  • davecreed
    davecreed Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    SPAGHETTI SQUASH!!!!!!!!!!

It's magical and only about 40 calories for 1 cup.

The flavor is sorta blandish but so are regular noodles. Tastes great when you add whatever sauce.

Or that yes! spaghetti squash is a perfect sub for pasta...any pasta dish!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

if it upsets you stomach...then don't eat it...but don't stop eating it cause you think its bad. moderation...small portions...(or its possible pasta doesn't like you...that happens to some for some foods lol) whole wheat pasta is excellent...but even regular pasta is fine. Here what science has to say about it , not me(taken from the Glycemic index website)

11. Why does pasta have a low GI?

Pasta has a low GI because of the physical entrapment of ungelatinised starch granules in a sponge-like network of protein (gluten) molecules in the pasta dough. Pasta is unique in this regard. As a result, pastas of any shape and size have a fairly low GI (30 to 60). Asian noodles such as hokkein, udon and rice vermicelli also have low to intermediate GI values.

Pasta should be cooked al dente ('firm to the bite'). And this is the best way to eat pasta - it's not meant to be soft. It should be slightly firm and offer some resistance when you are chewing it. Overcooking boosts the GI. Although most manufacturers specify a cooking time on the packet, don't take their word for it. Start testing about 2-3 minutes before the indicated cooking time is up. But watch that glucose load. While al dente pasta is a low GI choice, eating too much will have a marked effect on your blood glucose. A cup of al dente pasta combined with plenty of mixed vegetables and herbs can turn into three cups of a pasta-based meal and fits easily into any adult's daily diet.

Why should the avg person care about GI when it makes little or no difference at the end of the day if you eat high GI foods or low GI foods?
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Good girl! Pasta will make you Fatty McFatterson. With backfat. And a goiter.

OMG too funny and SOOOOOO TRUE!!!!!

Quick somebody tell my scales they are wrong - apparently you can't lose weight and eat pasta 3 times in a week!! :wink:
  • Brittypop
    Options
    You know, I don't eat much pasta anymore.. you know why..

shirataki.jpg trust me when I say you can't tell you aren't eating pasta based noodles!!!! They are awesome, hardly any carbs, good protein AND ONLY 20 CALORIES a SERVING.... YES 20 CALORIES.

I keep hearing about these 'noodles' and I'm so curious to try them. Where can they be purchased?
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    You know, I don't eat much pasta anymore.. you know why..

shirataki.jpg trust me when I say you can't tell you aren't eating pasta based noodles!!!! They are awesome, hardly any carbs, good protein AND ONLY 20 CALORIES a SERVING.... YES 20 CALORIES.

I keep hearing about these 'noodles' and I'm so curious to try them. Where can they be purchased?

Hy-vee, Whole Foods, Trader Joes and any store that has an organic section usually. They are in the cold section with the tofu.

They run about $2 - $2.50 a bag. 1 bag feeds my wife, my son (2.5 year old), and myself.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Reminds me that I still have some home made mac and cheese in the fridge to eat... Little pasta never killed anyone.. promise :)
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I eat pasta in a YEAR. Pasta does not agree with me and is detrimental to my weight and fitness goals. People assume as a former vegan (and now a vegetraian) that I eat a lot of pasta, and I practically eat NONE.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The distress and anxiety of being at a funeral can make my stomach hurt. Pasta never did.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

I eat pasta two or three times a week. Check out the ticker on this Fatty McFatterson.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I think McDonalds will get you alot fatter than pasta, especially if your just eating it with tomato sauce or a make your own light alfredo sauce.....

I eat pasta two or three times a week. Check out the ticker on this Fatty McFatterson.
  • CenlaCoach
    Options
    I limit my pasta these days and grains in general because 1. I dont lose weight when I them back in to my diet 2. I tend to get hungry soon after meal when I have them. Now when I say pasta I mean whole wheat, brown rice, organic .... nothing processed. I tend to respond better on a high protein/low carb (mostly veggies and fruits) diet. Now my wife is different she cant eat a high protein diet. We tried her on it for 2 days and she got physically sick. Everyone is different what works for some doesnt work for others.
    Now if you go and eat processed food (noodles or anythings) after not having them for a while your body might have an adverse reaction. Its hard for me to eat out anymore and not feel sick and sluggish for a few days.
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    I don't eat pasta at all because I am a Celiac - Gluten Free. I also don't like the gluten free pasta. SO I do spaghetti squash.
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Pasta is just like anything else. It is what you make it. 100 calories per ounce. You can eat1 or 2 ounces or you can eat the restaurant portion and kick yourself around the block.