Diet drinks and heart disease??

Options
So my dad recently had a heart attack, he just came home a few days ago and said that his doctor told him to not drink diet drinks as often as he was because diet drinks could be small factor in heart disease. So i found this website and I thought i would share it with all of you.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41479869/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/daily-diet-soda-tied-higher-risk-stroke-heart-attack/

Replies

• Edphil2
    Edphil2 Posts: 21
    Options
    I drink Sobe Lifewater....and really like them. They are my substitute for Diet Mt. Dews.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,180 Member
    Options
    Correlation, which is all that study showed, is not causality. Same as the similar type of studies that show people who drink diet soda are more likely to be over weight. It is quite possible that the diet soda has nothing to do with it, but the fact that those who are more likely to drink them are people who are overweight and out of shape and participate in other unhealthy eating behaviours.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Correlation, which is all that study showed, is not causality. Same as the similar type of studies that show people who drink diet soda are more likely to be over weight. It is quite possible that the diet soda has nothing to do with it, but the fact that those who are more likely to drink them are people who are overweight and out of shape and participate in other unhealthy eating behaviours.

Thank You.
  • heartshines
    heartshines Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    "They" also say diet drinks cause cancer.
    I'll live dangerously. I switched to diet 4 years ago..best choice I made. Less sugar. I actually enjoy still being able to drink my soft drinks with zero calories. If one thing doesn't kill you, something else will.
  • lsjett1
    lsjett1 Posts: 20
    Options
    I always wonder about this myself. I drink at least one diet coke a day. (Most days I have two!) What is so bad about it? is it the aspartame?
  • Freeapollo
    Options
    I honestly dont know either. It really bothers me one minute the next sugar substitute comes out and the old one is bad. People are know starting to say Splenda is worse than aspartame and my doctor recommended I use splenda?
  • christinekojack
    christinekojack Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    "They" also say diet drinks cause cancer.
    I'll live dangerously. I switched to diet 4 years ago..best choice I made. Less sugar. I actually enjoy still being able to drink my soft drinks with zero calories. If one thing doesn't kill you, something else will.
    I Agree!!!
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I've heard lots of bad things about the artificail sweeteners in dt. soda for cancer. Seems like I read something about them making it hard to maintain stable blood sugars too, but I can't remeber where that was...