HRM VS MFP

Options
DeeDeeLHF
DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
OK, I bought the HRM that was for sale on buy.com (Thanks for the tip!!)

So today the weather was sunny and I took the kids to the park instead of going to the gym. I put the HRM on set it for my age, weight, etc... and walked! I worked out really hard yesterday (weights, eliptical and swimming) so I didn't feel too bad just walking for 30 minutes. When I was done the HRM said I burned almost 300 calories. Can this be right? Myfitnesspal would say I burned 132.

Any suggestions?

I purchased the heart rate monitor to get a better idea of how many calories I am burning.

There are two eliptical machines at the YMCA and although I feel like I am getting similar workouts on them there is a 100 calorie discrepency between the two.

I am hoping the HRM works so I can be more consistent in my calorie calculations.

thanks in advance

Replies

• DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    OK, I bought the HRM that was for sale on buy.com (Thanks for the tip!!)

So today the weather was sunny and I took the kids to the park instead of going to the gym. I put the HRM on set it for my age, weight, etc... and walked! I worked out really hard yesterday (weights, eliptical and swimming) so I didn't feel too bad just walking for 30 minutes. When I was done the HRM said I burned almost 300 calories. Can this be right? Myfitnesspal would say I burned 132.

Any suggestions?

I purchased the heart rate monitor to get a better idea of how many calories I am burning.

There are two eliptical machines at the YMCA and although I feel like I am getting similar workouts on them there is a 100 calorie discrepency between the two.

I am hoping the HRM works so I can be more consistent in my calorie calculations.

thanks in advance
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Yes, the HRM is more accurate. It tracks your heart rate, and thus your calorie burn. It adjusts everything based on how intensely or leisurely your actual workout is. MFP is just a rough guess.

Also, when you first got it, did you program it with your gender, height, weight and age? This is more accurate than a machine that just asks for your age and weight. Your HRM has been calibrated just for you... the machine has to generalize.

I found a big difference between the two as well. I always go with the HRM.
  • turtle31
    turtle31 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What kind of HRM did you buy?
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    ditto- Always go with the HRM- machines and MFP as with other websites aren't accurate they are estimates
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    I bought the Reebok Precision Trainer XT Heart Rate Monitor w/Chest Strap and I used the chest strap.

I just feel like I didn't really work out that hard and so 300 seemed really high.

Maybe that is why I am losing weight more slowly though, maybe I am burning more calories that gym than I think I am and therefore not eating enough.

thanks!
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I bought the Reebok Precision Trainer XT Heart Rate Monitor w/Chest Strap and I used the chest strap.

I just feel like I didn't really work out that hard and so 300 seemed really high.

Maybe that is why I am losing weight more slowly though, maybe I am burning more calories that gym than I think I am and therefore not eating enough.

thanks!

I walk dogs for a living... (well part of it) When I finally got my HRM I tracked what I was actually burning on those walks and it turned out to be twice as much as MFP estimated... go figure. They don't feel intense, either. I've been so happy since I got my HRM!