Can I exercise without shoes?

Options
Ok, for some reason, every pair of shoes I try makes me feel like all my weight is being pushed onto the outside of my feet. By the end of a workout the outer part of my foot hurts so much I can barely walk. This doesn't happen as much if I don't wear shoes, but is that safe?

Replies

• simplymily
    Options
    Bump!! I was wondering the same thing
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    what work out are you doing? perhaps you just need better shoes targeted for the workouts you do.
    i dont wear shoes to do kettlebell work outs, so there are workouts out there you dont need them for!
  • santamommy
    Options
    I do ALL of my indoor exercises with bare feet.. I feel like my cardio exercise movements are more controlled than with bulky heavy shoes on. I am starting to run 1 min out of every 5 I walk...I found this is also easier with bare feet but I only do it on the dirt road I live on.. I read in Runners World Mag. about a pro runner that runs all of his races bare footed and his workouts.. I say go for it!
  • minnie84
    minnie84 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump!! I was wondering the same thing

ive noticed that i wear toning trainers when i exercise as well as normal use in the day but after a exercise work out my feet are on fire for ages xx
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It is safe to workout with out shoes. Barefoot running is gaining popularity quickly.

You do need to build your feet up to it slowly. You could try shoes such as the vibram five finger for a little protection
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    At the moment I only exercise inside my own house, all cardio exercises of some description and I always do it bare footed. I hope to start running soon, obviously need to wear shoes for that, but at the moment I find not wearing shoes is good, I almost feel it gives me more grip and control.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm doing workout DVD in bare feet.
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio and weight lifting exercises without shoes. I feel like I can balance better with bare feet. The only downside is that the carpet irritates my toes in a few exercises, but that's not a big deal.
  • parteegirl01
    Options
    It is safe to workout with out shoes. Barefoot running is gaining popularity quickly.

You do need to build your feet up to it slowly. You could try shoes such as the vibram five finger for a little protection

Those shoes look awesome. Kind of expensive for me, I'm on a tight budget, but now I feel I must have them lol.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you exercise.. I would be worried about cutting my foot on something or dropping weights on my toes and breaking them.

I maybe try new shoes before deciding to go barefoot.
  • jarheadjo
    Options
    I always exercise barefooted. I have been doing it for a year now. I had the problem of my feet going numb when I wore shoes during exercise. I did the insanity workout, Jillian Michaels workout, P90X, Chalean Extream, yoga, and zumba all barefooted. I do wear shoe when I walk outside though. It is the only time I wear shoes for a work out.
  • morgthom75
    morgthom75 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I do all of my excercise with bare feet also. I love it. I also run barefoot, or with the Vibram Five Fingers, which is about as barefoot as you can get. It's awesome. After the first few weeks of adjusting to it, now I can run farther and faster then I've ever been able to. It's also improved my balance with my other workouts. Just make sure that whatever workout you're doing, you adjust accordingly so you don't hurt yourself. Don't drop weights on your toes either!
  • bean4max
    Options
    I don't know if it's safe or not, but I don't wear shoes when doing the the Rockin' Body DVDs or just dancing(my favorite workout)in the house
    I love to be without shoes and love hearing there is a pro runner that runs with no shoes :happy:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba, kickboxing and Rocking Body with out shoes. It was when I stopped wearing shoes for these that my knee and foot pain WENT AWAY!! Give it a try, if it doesn't feel right then ya know!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Have you gone to a professional store and been fitted? I don't mean Foot Locker or anything like that, but a place where they actually watch you walk or run and evaluate your foot and gait, etc.?

I workout in my living room shoeless, but I can't do machines, go to the gym or walk/run outside without shoes.
  • lp1991
    lp1991 Posts: 30
    Options
    dancing split sole jazz shoes....they are so comfy anhd move with your feet......doesnt feel like you are wear any shoes when wearing them :)

hope this helps

feel free to add :)
  • parteegirl01
    Options
    Thanks a lot everyone. I did my workout without shoes today and my feet, ankles and even my back feel better than they have all week. :)
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I do all my workouts bare foot. Always have always will (except if I'm on a machine... But that's rare) I love bare feet and only wear closed shoes when I HAVE to
  • rozmary
    rozmary Posts: 4
    Options
    HAVE YOU GUYS EVER HEARD OF balleTONE?
    "When barefoot training meets strength, cardio and flexibility in one workout, fitness takes on a whole new meaning."