Before You Freak out

Options
Okay, so my mother is now on the Medifast diet. She is losing weight really well and wants me to do it. I'm been strong and firm on the fact that my weight loss will come with eatting healthy and working out.

Since I dont have a lot of time for working out she thinks this will help drop the pounds and and than my healthy eatting habits will help me maintain.

What I want to know is if anyone has done the medifast diet and if it worked for you.

Replies

• felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    my friend did it and had success. however, she still worked out during the plan and continued to afterwards.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I did. A few years ago. The medifast did help me lose a lot of weight (60 lbs, but I was at my top weight) then, my doctor weaned me off of it and into real food with a nutritionist, and my personal trainer adjusted my workout to help me keep it off. I only gained back 5 lbs of the 60. But you do have to make sure you re-introduce food carefully or it will all pile back on.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Any calorie restriction will make you lose weight, whether you are eating food and logging it (like in MFP) or sucking down shakes 2 times a day (a la Medifast, SlimFast, etc.). The problem is you will still have to learn how to eat real food like a non-overweight person at some point. You either learn now or learn after you are done with drinking your meals.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Okay, so my mother is now on the Medifast diet. She is losing weight really well and wants me to do it. I'm been strong and firm on the fact that my weight loss will come with eatting healthy and working out.

Since I dont have a lot of time for working out she thinks this will help drop the pounds and and than my healthy eatting habits will help me maintain.

What I want to know is if anyone has done the medifast diet and if it worked for you.

I know a couple people who have done it. It'll help you lose weight for sure. It's $$$ and you don't learn anything from the journey though.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Any calorie restriction will make you lose weight, whether you are eating food and logging it (like in MFP) or sucking down shakes 2 times a day (a la Medifast, SlimFast, etc.). The problem is you will still have to learn how to eat real food like a non-overweight person at some point. You either learn now or learn after you are done with drinking your meals.

Its no more a calorie restriction than now. Its still 1200 calories a day.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I didn't, but a friend of mine did. She lost quite a bit of weight and looked really good. But we weren't close and I never really got into details with her. i know it's expensive.

I think she gained quite a bit back, too, but that will happen with any diet (or lifestyle change) if you go back to your old ways.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I did. A few years ago. The medifast did help me lose a lot of weight (60 lbs, but I was at my top weight) then, my doctor weaned me off of it and into real food with a nutritionist, and my personal trainer adjusted my workout to help me keep it off. I only gained back 5 lbs of the 60. But you do have to make sure you re-introduce food carefully or it will all pile back on.

^^^^

We call Medifasts products diet junk food, they make a lot of snacks that are better for you than the average junk food is. And yes, it is expensive.

Any diet like this will produce the same results. I am in total agreement that while weening off this type of diet program that re introducing healthier foods is the way to go.

I, for one, could not use a shake as a meal, no way no how. I do use protein shakes, but they are for after a work out, so I can get a good amount of protein and other nutrients in my body, not as a main meal source, that would kill me, I love food to much.