Pedometer Vs Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Does anyone know a device I can use while at work to track my heart rate/calories burned/distance walked? price is not an issue I just need something rugged and durable that will be able to give me the information I need to track all my goals.

Replies

• mandy_lee86
    mandy_lee86 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting something like this also!
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I think a FitBit or Body Bugg is what you're looking for!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    This.

You can't use a regular heart rate monitor because they don't do a good job of calculating calories when your heart rate isn't elevated. A pedometer wouldn't do it, either, because it can't measure your heart rate.
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would agree with fitbit or bodybug. They seem good for different reasons. Search fitbit or bodybug in the topic search and I think there are other threads about them. Also, I got a lot of info on them from reading the amazon reviews.....
  • AlynnP1005
    Options
    Depends on what you really want. Garmin watches use GPS to track distance travelled and most use a HRM to calculate calories burned. Nike makes a SportsWatch that does the same. If you have an iPod or iPhone, there are a lot of apps that you can use that will track how much you walk, and give you a fairly accurate calorie count based on your info that you enter in and your pace at which you move.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    This.

You can't use a regular heart rate monitor because they don't do a good job of calculating calories when your heart rate isn't elevated. A pedometer wouldn't do it, either, because it can't measure your heart rate.

I was always under the impression that when exercising, your heart-rate is supposed to be elevated. I know mine always is!

I got a Polar Ft4 heart rate monitor for Christmas, and I love it.
  • Never2Bz
    Never2Bz Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I wear a pedometer all day. My goal is 10,000 steps a day (which I hear Dr. Oz recommends too). The calories it registers are different than what my treadmill does, but it doesn't matter. Just be consistent and put an average per 1,000 steps or something into your exercise entry. I don't track my steps but might start soon on that. I lose more weight if I make the effort to meet my goal. If I'm at 4K or 5K the pounds are stubborn. Good Luck.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    This.

I was always under the impression that when exercising, your heart-rate is supposed to be elevated. I know mine always is!

Yes HRM are used to record your activity when your HR is elevated i.e. exercise but they are not for recording daily activity. A FitBit or Body Bugg records daily activity but not really good for recording exercise.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    This.

Yes HRM are used to record your activity when your HR is elevated i.e. exercise but they are not for recording daily activity. A FitBit or Body Bugg records daily activity but not really good for recording exercise.

That just seems so foreign to me...recording daily activity? I just can't imagine why anyone would want to do that. To each their own, though!
  • NavyIT85
    NavyIT85 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am looking to buy a Garmin 305. it has GPS to give you accurate pace and distance, along with speed, and from what i have heard/seen, it is the best value for what it can do. If you are looking for something for all day, a pedometer is fine, just remember they can be a little inaccurate if you drive down a bumpy road with it on or something.
  • Grizzly_Mike
    Options
    Thanks everyone for posting! I am looking at a Garmin GPS right now a Friend has one and she is letting me use it to see what i think. I may just go to my local Academy Sports store and see what they say about the devices along with the web reviews i have read.