Food that increases metabolism?

Options
I've heard that there are certain foods that can help increase metabolism to give you a natural boost to help weight loss?
Is this true? And if so, does anyone know what foods help with this?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is going to slow your metabolism. There's no way around this.
  • Rondabean
    Options
    I heard that having a stock of celery every hour helps
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've heard that there are certain foods that can help increase metabolism to give you a natural boost to help weight loss?

None to any significant degree.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    None to any significant degree.

Exacty. I was researching this recently...the only thing that makes a small difference is spicy red peppers....but its like a 4% increase and you'd have to eat an insane amount of them to see it. They believe it only increases your metabolism for 30 minutes after eating them. Not a lot of benefit.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Green Tea is supposed to, and I've heard about the spicy peppers (very temporary). There's something about low fat dairy being good for weight loss too, but I'm not sure. Also grapefruit. Maybe none help to any significant degree, I don't know there's all that much understanding of it, but those are the ones I've seen.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    lettuce and celery ;)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I heard the McDonald's Big Breakfast does this - :laugh:
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for foods to incorporate into your diet, add some red pepper, pineapple, grapefruit, black coffee, and dairy. There are positive health benefits to all of these items. They will NOT increase your metabolism so much that you'll see amazing results nor do they provide long term metabolic benefits but they are good for you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any food increases metabolism, it's called digesting.
  • caramia311
    caramia311 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I don't know of any foods that boost your metabolism, but there are foods that the body has to expend more energy to digest, such as protein.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I heard that having a stock of celery every hour helps

Sorry, no.
  • kristi_asco
    Options

hahaa how i wish this was true!! :ohwell:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    all food
  • minnie84
    minnie84 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

lol xx
  • SuzieA1991
    SuzieA1991 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Grape Fruit and green tea. Start making some of your foods spicy as well. That works too :)

Also, Instead of just eating 3 large meals a day starts eating 5-6 small meals throughout the day. This WILL increase your metabolism and help you loose a lot of weight.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If running is a food, then that. Or spinning. Or some nice delicious strength training.

Other than that, nothing else speeds up your metabolism. Wouldn't it be awesome if chocolate could do it for us?

All kidding aside, there is some research that drinking ice water speeds up your metabolism slightly to digest the cold liquid, but nothing that can offset poor eating or replace a workout.

Sorry :tongue:
  • Cobb_66
    Cobb_66 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Alrighty, thanks all!! I'm not looking for a magic food or anything - I know they don't exist (unfortunately!!). But thanks for the suggestions!!