Does anyone know of a workout for arthritic ankle

Options
I have an arthritic ankle held together by a metal plate and screws (result of a car accident). Does anyone know of a workout I could do that would not cause too much pain or stress on the ankle?

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a gym? I find that the ellliptical machine puts less weight on my bad ankle than walking on a treadmill. The stationary bike is also pretty low-impact in that area. There's also this torso machine that is like a stationary bike but for your arms. I love it because you can burn a lot of calories working your arms without ANY impact on your lower body. As for in-home exercises, you can do leg-lifts and ab work on your back and sides, and you can do several arm exercises with handweights (if you do quick reps of them, it's cardio and strength training all in one). You can also YouTube and Google chair exercises for some great sitting workouts. And for any type of extended walking, I wrap my ankle for a layer of extra stability (because it just LOVES to give out on me randomly). And when it heats up outside, swimming is awesome. Best wishes :)
  • dragomom
    dragomom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you, good ideas. We are checking into gyms to see which one would be a better fit for us. I will look up chair excersises and see what you tube and google give me. I will be starting water aerobics in 2 weeks so hopefully that will help a little.