Eating Less of what I Love

Options
I hate the word 'Diet'. I've heard it over-used countless times in my life.
'Changing eating habits' sounds so much better to me.

Having said all that, eating carrots and celery when I'm hungry seems to defeat the purpose.

I have found that I would rather eat what I love (healthily too, though), but simply eat less of it to try and stay in my boundaries.
That way I don't seem to feel as much like bingeing on things like bread, cookies, and salty snacks, etc. if I deprive myself of stuff I love.

When I was in my late twenties, I once ignorantly fasted for 3 days - no food OR water. The first thing I ate when I finished was a banana. To this day, that banana was the best banana I've ever eaten in my life. :wink:

I find when I eat less of foods I love, everything tastes better.

Thoughts?

Replies

• monty_williams
    Options
    Any diet that eliminates specific macronutrients, based upon severe caloric restrictions, or elimination of certain desired food types is impossible for most people to follow for an extended period of time. The key to diet and weight is eating the appropriate calories and macronutrients to support your goals- whether weight loss, weight maintenance, or weight gain - and complying with that diet. People need to look at diet as a noun and not as a verb. Deprivation diets have a notriously high failure/non-compliance rate. Learn how to fit the foods you love into your calories/macros.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    This is the only sensible way to diet, IMO.

Many people think they have to avoid some arbitrary list of "bad" foods in order to lose weight and have a healthy diet. It's ridiculous.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Any diet that eliminates specific macronutrients, based upon severe caloric restrictions, or elimination of certain desired food types is impossible for most people to follow for an extended period of time.

That is completely false, sorry youre wrong...... I have eliminated several foods, both by choice and due to medical problems associated with consuming said-list of foods, and I dont miss them nor miss the effects of consuming them. I work two industries: Culinary and Healthcare. I use my background as a Chef to create many dishes every day both at work and at home, and I have never once felt like I needed to bring back those foods because of becoming educated about myself, and how it affects me.
    I also use my healthcare background in conjunction with collaborating with two specialty physicians and have successfully (through food elimination) dropped 69lbs - all with food changes.

People CAN eliminate foods either by choice or for medical reasons and never want or cant have those foods back.

Every person is different!
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am determined to make this a lifestyle change. I have battled my weight my entire life and I know for a fact that if I am to restrictive with what I eat it will never work.

I have been doing this with the help of MFP since November 2011, and I can honestly say I have NOT had one time where I was upset because I couldn't have something. I do not eat anything that I do not like and enjoy. I will not succeed if I feel deprived. You will not hear me EVER utter the words "oh no I can't have that!" If I want it and want to work it into my day I will, if I don't want it or feel it is worth it I won't, but it's my decision.

I am lucky and blessed to have such supportive friends and family while trying to succeed at my lifestyle change. I am learning a lot about nutrition as i go along on this journey!! I am so positive that I will succeed this time, making permanent changes.
  • SoftenBrownSugar
    SoftenBrownSugar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Any diet that eliminates specific macronutrients, based upon severe caloric restrictions, or elimination of certain desired food types is impossible for most people to follow for an extended period of time.

I think the key words in Monty's statement were "for most people to follow". Your "Every person is different" is correct too. :smile:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have added healthier things to my regular schedule - I don't like calling it diet either, as a noun, adjective or a verb. Some things I have added: greek yogurt, more fruit & veggies. I have gotten rid of some of the worst things like ramen soup cups for lunch that are not in and of themselves horrible, but are so salty it makes me eat candy bars to try to get rid of the salt taste that lingers all day. Will I still eat a little candy once in awhile? Yes, but not every day, not even most weeks, when before it was almost daily. I do still eat fast food, but choosing carefully trying to keep within calorie goals. I do still eat a lot of my favorite foods, but less often and in less quantity.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Amen! I figured out that deprivation doesn't work for me either. There are some foods that I've discovered aren't worth the calories but I still might have them once in a while. Like this afternoon, we're having our postponed holiday office party and I know there will be all kinds of yummy munchies and I plan on having a taste of everything that looks interesting. On a normal day though, things like milk chocolate or chips just don't appeal to me like they used to. I'd rather go for good dark chocolate or save my calories so I can have a drink after dinner.
  • monty_williams
    Options

That is completely false, sorry youre wrong...... I have eliminated several foods, both by choice and due to medical problems associated with consuming said-list of foods, and I dont miss them nor miss the effects of consuming them. I work two industries: Culinary and Healthcare. I use my background as a Chef to create many dishes every day both at work and at home, and I have never once felt like I needed to bring back those foods because of becoming educated about myself, and how it affects me.
    I also use my healthcare background in conjunction with collaborating with two specialty physicians and have successfully (through food elimination) dropped 69lbs - all with food changes.

People CAN eliminate foods either by choice or for medical reasons and never want or cant have those foods back.

Yes, each person is different, but most people can't completely eliminate a favorite food or macronutrient from their diet indefinitely. Studies show that deprivation diets have the worst long-term success/compliance rate. Your healthcare background should familiarize you with the false validity of using N=1 as representative of an entire population or even the norm of a population.

Elimination of a food or macronutrient for medical necessity is another matter and not related to the OP's first post, at least based upon the information given. For example, celiacs that have to follow a gluten free diet. However notice that an entire industry has sprouted up to address that issue so that celiacs can still enjoy bread, pasta, etc and not eliminate an entire food type from their diet.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Yes, each person is different, but most people can't completely eliminate a favorite food or macronutrient from their diet indefinitely. Studies show that deprivation diets have the worst long-term success/compliance rate. Your healthcare background should familiarize you with the false validity of using N=1 as representative of an entire population or even the norm of a population.

Elimination of a food or macronutrient for medical necessity is another matter and not related to the OP's first post, at least based upon the information given. For example, celiacs that have to follow a gluten free diet. However notice that an entire industry has sprouted up to address that issue so that celiacs can still enjoy bread, pasta, etc and not eliminate an entire food type from their diet.

I dont listen to studies because studies are not done on an individual level, they are on unrealistc control vs test cases often in gender specific set-ups.

Ive known PLENTY of people who did not have medical necessity issues who were successful at getting rid of certain foods ****by choice****..... there are many people using MFP right now who have willingly given up on certain foods and are having wonderful success....

Again, every person is different...
  • monty_williams
    Options
    Do doubt, there are alot of amazing success stories here on MFP, and there are countless examples of people that have eliminated certain types of foods from their diets for a given period of time - and many may not even desire those food types any longer. If the individual no longer desires or "loves" the food type, it is no longer deprivation. If N=1 is an example, I hate liver or any other "organ meat" and will never eat it, but I am not deprived of it.

The OP says that she still "loves" a certain food so she is depriving herself of it, and she still has the desire to eat it. What is healthier, fitting the still desired food into her calories/macros, or living the rest of her life in deprivation and stressing about it?
  • SoftenBrownSugar
    SoftenBrownSugar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The OP says that she still "loves" a certain food so she is depriving herself of it, and she still has the desire to eat it. What is healthier, fitting the still desired food into her calories/macros, or living the rest of her life in deprivation and stressing about it?

(Assuming OP = Original Poster) On the contrary. I'm saying I don't deprive myself of it. I simply eat less of it! The subject line is confusing - granted, but there are two ways to interpret it. In my case, I meant it to mean I eat what I love, but just not as much.

Whew. :happy: