Frustrated with p90x. Any suggestions?

Options
Hi everyone. Right now I'm only on my second week of p90x and I'm already getting so tired and bummed out about it. I just feel like giving up any day now. I'm not going to the gym either because I'm too embarrassed to work my "fat" *kitten* in front of people. So right now, I prefer working out with work out dvds. If anyone has any workout dvd suggestions please let me know. I've been thinking about getting Chalean Extreme. I heard it's similar to p90x but more targeted towards women and the workouts aren't an hour long compared to p90x. If you have any suggestions please please please LET ME KNOW. Thanks. -Mary

Replies

• telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Hi Mary. Let me ask a couple of questions before offering my opinion. Why are you tired and bummed out about P90X? Is it boring? Too difficult? Do you hate weight lifting? etc. The fact is, most people don't realize they can modify the moves in the workouts to accomodate their current endurance and fitness level.

I think you should also consider what goals you're looking to accomplish. P90X is not necessarily a weight loss program, although following the clean eating plan and doing the workouts 6x/week will cause your body to change, tighten, lean out and weight loss will most likely occur.

Do you like to dance? Do you enjoy playing sports? Are you a runner? There are all sorts of programs available for you to try but until you find what Chalene Johnson calls your "soulmate workout" you will never truly ENJOY what you are doing and want to stick with it for the rest of your life.

Chalean Extreme is a great program if you enjoy weight lifting. The premise is to use heavy weights with shorter rep sets to build lean muscle but not bulk up. While I personally liked doing the program I found my body also required more intense cardio to shed the fat than what's included in CLX so the best for me was to do a hybrid program of CLX with Turbo Fire. I will tell you though that the CLX workouts start off being shorter than P90X but by the time you're in the 3rd month they're about the same duration.

Hope some of this is helpful. Good luck and feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Sharon
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Hi Mary. Let me ask a couple of questions before offering my opinion. Why are you tired and bummed out about P90X? Is it boring? Too difficult? Do you hate weight lifting? etc. The fact is, most people don't realize they can modify the moves in the workouts to accomodate their current endurance and fitness level.

I think you should also consider what goals you're looking to accomplish. P90X is not necessarily a weight loss program, although following the clean eating plan and doing the workouts 6x/week will cause your body to change, tighten, lean out and weight loss will most likely occur.

Sharon

Exactly, what is it that's bothering you? That way those who have done P90X can help you. I know the program is extreme and overal it seems impossible to finish for those who haven't been working out for a long time, but the reason it is 1 hour long and so intense is to help the person using the program achieve a great level of fitness in the less amount of time possible, 90 days in this case.

With this said, I also understand that this program is not meant for everybody for different reasons, but it is definitely something that does work.
  • myang1021
    Options
    Hey guys! Thanks for replying back. One of the reasons why I hate p90x is that most of the moves are hard to do and I get really frustrated and I end up hitting the quit button. For example, Core Synergistics, half of the moves in that entire work out is so hard for me. I get so angry and frustrated at myself because I can't do the moves like the sphinx pushups and the prison cell push ups. Maybe it's just my mind telling me I can't. I don't know. I just hate myself. I get so jealous seeing people's p90x transformations and then I tell myself, "oh, I'm going to fully commit myself to p90x and drop some weigh." But I'm only on my second week, and I'm already at the "I give up stage." :( I actually enjoy weight lifting. Shoulders and Arms is my favorite p90x workout. :).

I don't really like to dance. I've tried Turbo Fire once, and I like the intensity of incorporating HIIT but I really disliked the whole "dance workout moves." I feel like if I'm not executing those moves right, then it's not going to be effective. But after looking at the Chalean Extreme videos on YouTube, she does incorporate "dance like moves" but perhaps not as much as Turbo Fire.? Man, I would love to find my soulmate workout. When will that day ever come? I have a couple people motivating me, giving me tips and guiding me through p90x but it just seems like its not enough to convince this fat pig to keep pressing play. :(
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If your body isn't ready for P90X yet, I would suggest P90. After that program, you'll definitely be ready for P90X. Don't try to run before you walk. You can do it, and there's plenty of support here on the boards!
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    Hey guys! Thanks for replying back. One of the reasons why I hate p90x is that most of the moves are hard to do and I get really frustrated and I end up hitting the quit button. For example, Core Synergistics, half of the moves in that entire work out is so hard for me. I get so angry and frustrated at myself because I can't do the moves like the sphinx pushups and the prison cell push ups. Maybe it's just my mind telling me I can't. I don't know. I just hate myself. I get so jealous seeing people's p90x transformations and then I tell myself, "oh, I'm going to fully commit myself to p90x and drop some weigh." But I'm only on my second week, and I'm already at the "I give up stage." :( I actually enjoy weight lifting. Shoulders and Arms is my favorite p90x workout. :).

I don't really like to dance. I've tried Turbo Fire once, and I like the intensity of incorporating HIIT but I really disliked the whole "dance workout moves." I feel like if I'm not executing those moves right, then it's not going to be effective. But after looking at the Chalean Extreme videos on YouTube, she does incorporate "dance like moves" but perhaps not as much as Turbo Fire.? Man, I would love to find my soulmate workout. When will that day ever come? I have a couple people motivating me, giving me tips and guiding me through p90x but it just seems like its not enough to convince this fat pig to keep pressing play. :(

You see, what all those people, including myself, only post are the results we get, not the struggle we go thru. Would you believe if I told you during the first time I did P90X I wasn't able to finish the workouts, or do certain moves because they were almost impossible for me? Well, it is the truth. It takes time, dedication, effort and persistence. Hard moves only mean they make you work harder and get you stronger. As you keep trying you'll get to the point where you'll do one, and then two and so on.

I know it feels like giving up, but it will get better, as soon as you see the results you start getting you'll want to even push harder. Also, try to modify the moves, take breaks, and don't use weight when you feel your form can be affected.

You have a lot of us who have done P90X and will be more than glad to help you with any questions, just make sure to always ask and give details about your struggles so we can help :)
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Tony does offer modifications to most, if not all, of the exercises so don't be afraid to do whatever you need to do to get through it. I'd be surprised if those success stories started out on day 1 being able to perform 100% of the movements 100% correctly and without modification. For example, if right now you can't do all of the Sphinx pushups then work on completing 1 and modify the set by doing the rest as regular pushups. Eventually you'll be able to do more and more. It's all about practice and consistency. Do your best and forget the rest as Tony says!

Have you talked to your Coach about your frustrations? He/she should be able to help you find ways to keep going with P90X or find another program that's more suitable. P90X isn't for everyone but exercise and living a healthy lifestyle is so do what you need to do to keep going.
  • myang1021
    Options
    I've done a little bit of p90. But it was wayyyyy too boring and slow. So if I had to choose, I'd rather do p90x. I know that p90x is not for everyone but I think that my body is capable of doing p90x but it's just my mind. I'm letting my mind control my body and it's telling me that I can't do it, I'll never lose weight, and just give up. I'm 5'4 and 152 pounds. Yes its not too overboard, but way too heavy for my height.

Just reading all your supportive replies makes me so happy. But now I feel so disgusted at myself because I just shoved a hot dog down my throat for lunch. Ewwwwwww. Time to hit the bathroom and puke it all out. :( I guess since I've slacked off this week, I will restart p90x all over again. Note to self: Modify when I need to, take breaks when needed, don't be so harsh on myself, stay on track, eat clean, keep pressing play and last but not least, HAVE FUN. :)
  • cmart85
    cmart85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on my second week of P90X...don't give up yet! P90X is extreme and I modify ALOT, for example I don't even do Yoga X, I do my own beginner yoga that I have on DVD. I'm not sure why you would be doing Core Synergestics yet, I thought that wasn't until week 5 or so, which means you might have to build up to it. Like everyone else said modify, go at your own pace and push pause when you need to. Tony says "Do your best and forget the rest"! Also talk to your coach, do you have a coach? If not let me know I can hook you up.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    no one gets all the moves done by week two. Heck many people cannot even get through all the DVD from beginning to end by week 2. :) Lots of people are still struggling at week 4, week 6, even week 8. But its all okay - they are still in better shape then when they started on Day 1. And that much closer to their goal, when they restart P90X again. Each day is one step closier then you were the day before.

Honestly!

What you do, is the best YOU can do, Modify where you can. IT OKAY - tell yourself that. You have nothing to prove to anyone, but you.

Remember the people on the video, have already been through the DVDs at least once, if not more. Many were already doing other things to get fit before P90X, others are from a Fitness background already (Dreya Webber for example) They were picked because they CAN do it with good form - remember, many others were not picked.

DO NOT judge your self by anyone - but YOU. You are the one you judge by. Write down your progress, take measurements from a number of body areas - and KNOW you may not see progress at first.

That does not mean you do not have any, it means your body is making changes on the inside, in areas you cannot see- eventually it WILL show on the outside. It took you more then two weeks to get where you are, it will take you more then two weeks to fix it. :)

Just keep it up, day after day - do the Best you can do - forget everyone else, forget the things you missed - just modify, take breaks as needed, do what you can do, to the best of your ability. Try it even if you think you can't do it.

The only thing that changes a can't do exercise to a can do - is to keep trying, over and over and over and over and over.

It took me 6 rounds of P90x classic doing modified pullups with a chair before I was finally able to do ONE good complete pull up. But I just keep going, keep trying. Eventually I will do them all unmodified. :)
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    Note to self: Modify when I need to, take breaks when needed, don't be so harsh on myself, stay on track, eat clean, keep pressing play and last but not least, HAVE FUN. :)

That's the attitude :smile: not only you'll see the changes with the photos, but you'll see that every week you can push harder, increase weights, increase reps (that's why is always important to write down what you do) but also you'll get stronger and soon enough you'll be able to do what you couldn't at the beginning.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! Thanks for replying back. One of the reasons why I hate p90x is that most of the moves are hard to do and I get really frustrated and I end up hitting the quit button. For example, Core Synergistics, half of the moves in that entire work out is so hard for me. I get so angry and frustrated at myself because I can't do the moves like the sphinx pushups and the prison cell push ups.

I;ve done MANY rounds of P90X-i still hate sphinx pushups. :) I get wonky on Kenpo, i'm SUPER uncoordinated, so i end up just throwing hooks a LOT, but at the end i've worked up a sweat and am giggling hysterically. My fiance called me the judo-chop dawrf.

Maybe it's just my mind telling me I can't. I don't know. I just hate myself. I get so jealous seeing people's p90x transformations and then I tell myself, "oh, I'm going to fully commit myself to p90x and drop some weigh." But I'm only on my second week, and I'm already at the "I give up stage." :( I actually enjoy weight lifting. Shoulders and Arms is my favorite p90x workout. :).

Don't hate yourself :( I had to start SERIOUSLY lifting big weights (i don't pick up anything lighter than 25lbs anymore) before i was getting results. It takes a while, trust me. And if a full commitment isn't your thing (i've done so many rounds i go cross eyed looking at the stupid calendar for it) so i do Monday, wednesday, friday P90X weight lifting. on the other says i do crossfit or Insanity, or Asylum, or i deadlift. I may do the same workout twice in a week because i enjoy it, but the point is i'm working out, right? :) BTW-SHoulders and arms is AWESOME-but wait till Chest, Shoulders and Triceps. LOVELOVE

I don't really like to dance. I've tried Turbo Fire once, and I like the intensity of incorporating HIIT but I really disliked the whole "dance workout moves." I feel like if I'm not executing those moves right, then it's not going to be effective.

Read above :throwing random hooks. :)

But after looking at the Chalean Extreme videos on YouTube, she does incorporate "dance like moves" but perhaps not as much as Turbo Fire.? Man, I would love to find my soulmate workout. When will that day ever come? I have a couple people motivating me, giving me tips and guiding me through p90x but it just seems like its not enough to convince this fat pig to keep pressing play. :(

If you really hate the workout don't force yourself to do it. I adore Insanity (no dancing and you work HARD) so when P90X bumms me out i just do that. Or i'f i'm totally off my game i'll do Tae Bo. However, you can modify EVERY single move and if you don't know how to modify cetain ones, just message me and i'll see if we can't figure something out ! :)

• FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    When I started, I wondered how I could even keep up. Now, "most" of the exercises are fine but there are still some moves that are more difficult than others.

The main point is that I keep getting stronger, leaner and more flexible all of the time. Seeing the radical changes with my body help me know it was (and still is) worth the struggle.
  • amandalfn
    Options
    Try Turbo Fire. It's another beachbody workout and totally fun with great music. I love it.
  • MrsSeals
    MrsSeals Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You might try Tony's 10 minute Trainer. It really is simple, it keeps you up and moving for only 10 min, it has some warm up moves and cool down moves, you can choose to only do one workout or 3 workouts in a day. By the time you're 10 minutes are up you're sweating and thinking wow I'm finished already? It makes you want to do more. But I'll warn you its only so many works out and it does get repetitive. But all of the moves are fairly simple. They tell you from the beginning you might not be able to keep up with the reps being done but do as many as you can in the time. It does work, and like anything you just have to stick with it. This product is more about toning and reshaping rather than for getting ripped.
  • myang1021
    Options
    I'm currently on my second week of P90X...don't give up yet! P90X is extreme and I modify ALOT, for example I don't even do Yoga X, I do my own beginner yoga that I have on DVD. I'm not sure why you would be doing Core Synergestics yet, I thought that wasn't until week 5 or so, which means you might have to build up to it. Like everyone else said modify, go at your own pace and push pause when you need to. Tony says "Do your best and forget the rest"! Also talk to your coach, do you have a coach? If not let me know I can hook you up.

I'm following the lean version instead of classic. So Core Synergistics was my first p90x workout instead of Chest & Back. Going at my own pace is something I tend to forget. It's QUALITY that counts, not QUANTITY. :) Thanks. <3
  • myang1021
    Options
    Note to self: Modify when I need to, take breaks when needed, don't be so harsh on myself, stay on track, eat clean, keep pressing play and last but not least, HAVE FUN. :)

That's the attitude :smile: not only you'll see the changes with the photos, but you'll see that every week you can push harder, increase weights, increase reps (that's why is always important to write down what you do) but also you'll get stronger and soon enough you'll be able to do what you couldn't at the beginning.

Yes. I need to learn how to write down how many reps I did and the weights I used. So that I can see how much I've improved :) Thanks again! <3
  • myang1021
    Options
    Hey guys! Thanks for replying back. One of the reasons why I hate p90x is that most of the moves are hard to do and I get really frustrated and I end up hitting the quit button. For example, Core Synergistics, half of the moves in that entire work out is so hard for me. I get so angry and frustrated at myself because I can't do the moves like the sphinx pushups and the prison cell push ups.

I;ve done MANY rounds of P90X-i still hate sphinx pushups. :) I get wonky on Kenpo, i'm SUPER uncoordinated, so i end up just throwing hooks a LOT, but at the end i've worked up a sweat and am giggling hysterically. My fiance called me the judo-chop dawrf.

Maybe it's just my mind telling me I can't. I don't know. I just hate myself. I get so jealous seeing people's p90x transformations and then I tell myself, "oh, I'm going to fully commit myself to p90x and drop some weigh." But I'm only on my second week, and I'm already at the "I give up stage." :( I actually enjoy weight lifting. Shoulders and Arms is my favorite p90x workout. :).

Don't hate yourself :( I had to start SERIOUSLY lifting big weights (i don't pick up anything lighter than 25lbs anymore) before i was getting results. It takes a while, trust me. And if a full commitment isn't your thing (i've done so many rounds i go cross eyed looking at the stupid calendar for it) so i do Monday, wednesday, friday P90X weight lifting. on the other says i do crossfit or Insanity, or Asylum, or i deadlift. I may do the same workout twice in a week because i enjoy it, but the point is i'm working out, right? :) BTW-SHoulders and arms is AWESOME-but wait till Chest, Shoulders and Triceps. LOVELOVE

I don't really like to dance. I've tried Turbo Fire once, and I like the intensity of incorporating HIIT but I really disliked the whole "dance workout moves." I feel like if I'm not executing those moves right, then it's not going to be effective.

Read above :throwing random hooks. :)

But after looking at the Chalean Extreme videos on YouTube, she does incorporate "dance like moves" but perhaps not as much as Turbo Fire.? Man, I would love to find my soulmate workout. When will that day ever come? I have a couple people motivating me, giving me tips and guiding me through p90x but it just seems like its not enough to convince this fat pig to keep pressing play. :(

If you really hate the workout don't force yourself to do it. I adore Insanity (no dancing and you work HARD) so when P90X bumms me out i just do that. Or i'f i'm totally off my game i'll do Tae Bo. However, you can modify EVERY single move and if you don't know how to modify cetain ones, just message me and i'll see if we can't figure something out ! :)

LOL! You're so funny. :) I hate Kenpo! Thats why I substitute it with Cardio X instead. Kenpo just has too many kicks and punches. Not for me. :)
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I don't have a full hr to devote to a DVD, so I do half of it. That is my biggest issue with P90X - I just couldn't devote a whole hr since I did it after I put my son to bed. So do half, or what I do is pick the hardest exercises and do my own drills to them (I actually love the prisoner and sphinx push ups though!)
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I vote Chalean due to prefering weighted exercises overall. But I have powerblocks. I don't know how it would be with a resistance band.
  • myang1021
    Options
    no one gets all the moves done by week two. Heck many people cannot even get through all the DVD from beginning to end by week 2. :) Lots of people are still struggling at week 4, week 6, even week 8. But its all okay - they are still in better shape then when they started on Day 1. And that much closer to their goal, when they restart P90X again. Each day is one step closier then you were the day before.

Honestly!

What you do, is the best YOU can do, Modify where you can. IT OKAY - tell yourself that. You have nothing to prove to anyone, but you.

Remember the people on the video, have already been through the DVDs at least once, if not more. Many were already doing other things to get fit before P90X, others are from a Fitness background already (Dreya Webber for example) They were picked because they CAN do it with good form - remember, many others were not picked.

DO NOT judge your self by anyone - but YOU. You are the one you judge by. Write down your progress, take measurements from a number of body areas - and KNOW you may not see progress at first.

That does not mean you do not have any, it means your body is making changes on the inside, in areas you cannot see- eventually it WILL show on the outside. It took you more then two weeks to get where you are, it will take you more then two weeks to fix it. :)

Just keep it up, day after day - do the Best you can do - forget everyone else, forget the things you missed - just modify, take breaks as needed, do what you can do, to the best of your ability. Try it even if you think you can't do it.

The only thing that changes a can't do exercise to a can do - is to keep trying, over and over and over and over and over.

It took me 6 rounds of P90x classic doing modified pullups with a chair before I was finally able to do ONE good complete pull up. But I just keep going, keep trying. Eventually I will do them all unmodified. :)

Wow. Loved every word you said. I feel a lot better about myself now. :) I will continue doing p90x and give it my best. I will not compare myself to others because it's not going to do any good. I'm so proud of you going through 6 rounds of p90x classic version! You are totally kicking some serious bootay! Thank you so much for such encouraging words. <3