30 pounds gone no visible signs

Options
okay, i started out weighing 265lbs, I am down to 236.2 as of my last weigh in. I know I have a long way to go, but I'm having trouble because I'm not seeing any results. I go to the gym and am on the elliptical for an hour 5 nights a week and i just started the Rushfit dvd workout videos. but i have lost no inches my clothes fit exactly the same. The only thing that is loose is my wedding band. does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to ramp up results. I' happy I'm losing the weight, but if inches aren't coming off too, I feel I'm just not working hard enough.
I can always use more friends for support,too. thanks

13622514.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    The thing to remember is that everyone loses weight differently. Eventually you'll start to see the results. Keep on going and it will definitely be worth it. The last time I lost weight I couldn't see a difference and I had lost around 24 lbs. The only way I knew was that my wedding band was loose and my belt was on a different notch. But the belt thing didn't even happen until after the 20 lb mark.

Keep it up!
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Please take pictures. That way you will be able to see your results .
  • nettg40
    nettg40 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I once heard you loose your weight from the top down so you may see the changes in face/neck first. Since you are working out and building the muscle mass look for other types of changes such as do u feel stronger? have more energy? Feel free to friend me!!
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Hang in there... you are doing awesome! Another thing to consider is all of the changes taking place that you can't see. There is all of that weight off of your knees, your heart is healthier and many other benefits. Soon you will see it physically too I'll bet. Keep up all of your hard work! :0)
  • CessGill
    CessGill Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hang in there... you are doing awesome! Another thing to consider is all of the changes taking place that you can't see. There is all of that weight off of your knees, your heart is healthier and many other benefits. Soon you will see it physically too I'll bet. Keep up all of your hard work! :0)

i agree with 6mimi...
  • jengessler
    Options
    I have read that doing strength training helps with inches, because it converts fat into lean muscle (even if you don't burn nearly as many calories as cardio). Instead of an hour on the elliptical, try 40 min and then 20 minutes of strength training to start out and see if that gets you more results after a couple weeks.

Strength training can include weights, yoga, weight machines, pushups, situps, etc.
  • DEGiltz
    DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'd like to echo what others have expressed. Hang in there ... this is a change that you are making for a lifetime ahead of you. You've probably improved your endurance, strength, feel less stressed and sleep better at night. These are all rewards in addition to dropping pounds. The rest will come in time as long as you embrace the change and stick with it!
  • sydanne33
    Options
    This helps explain why we may not notice weight loss for a while...my mom sent me this and It seems to be true!

Paper Towel Theory by Bob White

Let's assume you go out and buy two rolls of paper towels, each with only 84 paper towels on it (one for each day of the challenge). You put one aside, and keep it for future reference (your before/ picture).

The other one represents you (I'll call your paper towel you "Ed"). The core represents the lean Ed. The towels represent the fat that is covering the lean Ed. For sake of argument, let's say that Ed wants to lose 21 pounds of fat, so (84/21) each sheet represents a quarter-pound of fat lost. Let's also assume that Ed loses his fat equally during each day of the challenge.

Each day during the first week, you tear a sheet off of Ed, representing the fat he has lost for the day. Next, you put Ed next to the full roll ("Big Al") for comparison. No noticeable difference!!! Even at the end of the week! This can't be working for me!

But, being a good Ed, you continue to follow Body-for-LIFE. At the end of weeks two and three, you continue to compare Ed to Big Al, and still notice very little difference. That stinkin' Bill Phillips MUST be a liar!

But Ed is determined! He works hard! Three more weeks go by, the sheets peeling off day after day, before Ed gets up the courage to stand next to Big Al again. Holy Myoplex! Ed is skinny! OK, not skinny, but less huge!!!

By the end of the 12-week Body-for-LIFE program, Ed is down to his lean dream, or somewhere near it. Ed is happy. We are happy. Big Al - well he's not so happy.

The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around,that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area - just like that outside towel sheet. The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.

While the outside sheet may only cover 1 layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times. That last sheet looks like it gives you 4 times the results of the first sheet, but in reality, the results are the same - your perception is just different! And you'll never see the inside, if you aren't patient while the outside is coming off! - Bob White
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yes, try switching up your workouts regularly. Some weight lifting/strength training (all kinds of ideas on youtube)....a different dvd each month. Don't just stick with one machine. When I started changing up my routines frequently, I noticed MUSCLES! hehe...and clothes started getting looser.
  • Mia2891
    Mia2891 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments and encouragements. They are very much appreciated! I will take all of this into consideration.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Some of it can be water loss. I know when I don't take my diuretic my rings are tight and when I take it they are loose.
  • Kassileigh
    Kassileigh Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You also should remember that you have lost a LOT of weight around your vital organs making you healthier by far. It may not be visible to yourself (But I think you should take a weekly photo) but the benefits to your wellbeing are immeasurable. Keep up the amazing job you are doing!
    :flowerforyou:
  • antcox06
    Options
    One way to appreciate what you have lost. Try carrying something that weighs 30lb round with your for half and hour. By doing this you will realise how much easier it much be to carry out tasks that would have much harder with that weight.

I like to do that occasionally because it helps you put into perspective what you have achieved. Keep up with the hard work though, excellent results up to now.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Strength training. You are likely burning muscle on that elliptical. <~~~ wish I could like my post more
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation for strength training. Strength training makes you look like you lost weight a lot sooner than anything else.
  • Steph62002
    Options
    First off, congrats on losing 30 lbs!

I agree with the others, take pictures and record your measurements. I started out at 227 lbs and would take measurements and pictures every 30 days. You WILL notice a difference, trust me!
  • wndnls
    wndnls Posts: 25
    Options
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    This helps explain why we may not notice weight loss for a while...my mom sent me this and It seems to be true!

Paper Towel Theory by Bob White

Let's assume you go out and buy two rolls of paper towels, each with only 84 paper towels on it (one for each day of the challenge). You put one aside, and keep it for future reference (your before/ picture).

The other one represents you (I'll call your paper towel you "Ed"). The core represents the lean Ed. The towels represent the fat that is covering the lean Ed. For sake of argument, let's say that Ed wants to lose 21 pounds of fat, so (84/21) each sheet represents a quarter-pound of fat lost. Let's also assume that Ed loses his fat equally during each day of the challenge.

Each day during the first week, you tear a sheet off of Ed, representing the fat he has lost for the day. Next, you put Ed next to the full roll ("Big Al") for comparison. No noticeable difference!!! Even at the end of the week! This can't be working for me!

But, being a good Ed, you continue to follow Body-for-LIFE. At the end of weeks two and three, you continue to compare Ed to Big Al, and still notice very little difference. That stinkin' Bill Phillips MUST be a liar!

But Ed is determined! He works hard! Three more weeks go by, the sheets peeling off day after day, before Ed gets up the courage to stand next to Big Al again. Holy Myoplex! Ed is skinny! OK, not skinny, but less huge!!!

By the end of the 12-week Body-for-LIFE program, Ed is down to his lean dream, or somewhere near it. Ed is happy. We are happy. Big Al - well he's not so happy.

The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around,that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area - just like that outside towel sheet. The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.

While the outside sheet may only cover 1 layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times. That last sheet looks like it gives you 4 times the results of the first sheet, but in reality, the results are the same - your perception is just different! And you'll never see the inside, if you aren't patient while the outside is coming off! - Bob White

Great analogy!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments and encouragements. They are very much appreciated! I will take all of this into consideration.

also, if you had a lot of visceral fat around your organs inside your abdomen, that is often the first to go when you lose weight, and that is such good news for your health! you're doing great.
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    I am a lot smaller than you and I didn't see any difference until I lose around 30 lbs. I didn't see a difference in my clothes or anything at all. Since you're a bit bigger it might take losing more to see any visible results. In about 10 lbs try to go to the store and try on clothes a size smaller than what you normally wear now. I'm sure there will be a difference!

:D