let's all be honest here...

Options
forgive me if this comes off a little rude, buuuuuuut,

seriously, if you post in the forums and ask for friends because you're new or you're just "starting to decide to finally get serious"… and you can't take 30 seconds to edit your profile and type in anything, ANYTHING at all in either of those little innocent sections, then what makes us think you're serious about being here? a little bit of extra effort goes a long way around here, ya know?!?

okay, end rant. g'day =D

Replies

• tenoclockbird
    Options
    Well, I agree, really. I like to see a little about somebody I'm going to be "friends" with, even if it's just on the internet. :) A picture is nice, too. If not of yourself, then pick something that represents how you think of yourself, anyway. That blank sillhouette is freaky.
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    Honestly, when I first signed up I didn't even realize that those sections existed on the profile. Guess I wasn't paying any attention - I imagine I'm not alone.
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when I first signed up I didn't even realize that those sections existed on the profile. Guess I wasn't paying any attention - I imagine I'm not alone.

Not at all... I was on here for months before filling that out, using the message boards, etc... logging food was what was important to me when I first started and that's pretty much all I did.
  • mcopare
    Options
    Nice post and agree....being a newbie myself and just updated my profile....! Friend Me! ;)
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I didn't even realize they were there either! But I definitely like to read more about people I am befriending!!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

seriously, if you post in the forums and ask for friends because you're new or you're just "starting to decide to finally get serious"… and you can't take 30 seconds to edit your profile and type in anything, ANYTHING at all in either of those little innocent sections, then what makes us think you're serious about being here? a little bit of extra effort goes a long way around here, ya know?!?

okay, end rant. g'day =D
    You're right; that's the first thing both me and my wife did.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    People always wonder why I don't accept friends. This is why..
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    Ditto and great point!
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options

okay, end rant. g'day =D

Along with an actual profile picture.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

okay, end rant. g'day =D

Well, I would think out of fairness to the new people - they still have to learn how to navigate this site, learn which button works for what function... Im not necessarily going to complain about people who are just starting out because there is a learning curve to working with MFP (or any website that is new to them)... Besides, if they do realize those sections and decide that its no one's business why they are here, thats perfectly fine too... it is after all, their choice... and thats the whole point.. making choices...
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    yep if I can't see your profile "decline" its as easy as that.
  • Myndi73
    Myndi73 Posts: 270
    Options
    I've been on here for two years, I think I finally just filled out my profile about 3 months ago. And, by filled out, I mean the bare minimum.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Not at all... I was on here for months before filling that out, using the message boards, etc... logging food was what was important to me when I first started and that's pretty much all I did.

Same here. Then when I did fill it out it started out pretty empty for months.

I came here to log food, network, and share/learn on the forum. I couldn't care less about how full a persons profile is
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I filled it out when I set up the account

I will not post a picture of myself on here, though. In general, I never post personal pictures in online forums.

My face isn't important. The picture shows what's important to me :)
  • koumbay
    koumbay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, when I first joined I overlooked those for a few days cause I tend to not get involved and sit on the sidelines, but I decided this time I'm going to put every effort in and that means getting involved and posting a pic and actually reaching out to others for support. Unless they don't know it's there I would think the same as you.
  • mindy2185
    Options
    in my personal opinion, as we all have them, everyone's journey is different. some people are very forth coming with their information and some are a little more reserved. totally ok with me either way. its not my place to push them into their steps, those are things that for some people come with time. and like many others on here, i did not know about those sections either and I am still learning how to navigate. lol you never know peoples backgrounds and they may either not want to divulge some of personally information or judge plain and simple might not be ready for it. i know people that would probably love to get on mfp but are discouraged because they have never even been on a computer before and are afraid people will make fun of them. (yes-there are still some) i think its that persons call to place pics or whatever information they want or may not want. its not my place to judge or be pushy, just to support my pals when they need for me to.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Do you feel better now? :flowerforyou:
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    i agree. An empty profile indicates that you're not serious about this. Same with lacking a profile picture. In this day and age, there's no reason not to have a profile picture.
  • PrissyJayne
    Options
    in my personal opinion, as we all have them, everyone's journey is different. some people are very forth coming with their information and some are a little more reserved. totally ok with me either way. its not my place to push them into their steps, those are things that for some people come with time. and like many others on here, i did not know about those sections either and I am still learning how to navigate. lol you never know peoples backgrounds and they may either not want to divulge some of personally information or judge plain and simple might not be ready for it. i know people that would probably love to get on mfp but are discouraged because they have never even been on a computer before and are afraid people will make fun of them. (yes-there are still some) i think its that persons call to place pics or whatever information they want or may not want. its not my place to judge or be pushy, just to support my pals when they need for me to.

Agreed.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    With all due respect, if you have to say, "Forgive me if this comes off rude" ... that means you're probably being rude. Maybe people don't want to broadcast their personal information all over the interwebs for all to see.