walk or run a 5k

Options
Valqis
Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
I am signed up for a 5k this weekend and am trying to determine if it would be better to walk the entire 5k or attempt to run it. I am in shape enough to walk the 5k (this much I do know, as I walk an average of 1-2 miles a day, but have nowhere near the stamina to jog or run the entire distance, as when I do walk 3+ miles, I can only jog about 1/4 of it.

I have heard that walking is better for your body than running is, as there is less strain on your knees when you walk than if you run, but are the calories burned worth putting the added strain on my knees?:happy: :embarassed: :noway:

151465.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter

Replies

• Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I am signed up for a 5k this weekend and am trying to determine if it would be better to walk the entire 5k or attempt to run it. I am in shape enough to walk the 5k (this much I do know, as I walk an average of 1-2 miles a day, but have nowhere near the stamina to jog or run the entire distance, as when I do walk 3+ miles, I can only jog about 1/4 of it.

I have heard that walking is better for your body than running is, as there is less strain on your knees when you walk than if you run, but are the calories burned worth putting the added strain on my knees?:happy: :embarassed: :noway:

151465.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck on which ever you choose. :flowerforyou:
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    Walk/run it. A lot of people do this. Makes it a bit more challenging.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I could run it, but when race day came, I was able to do it! Start off running and see how far you get! You may surprise yourself. I just read an article yesterday that said running actually strengthens your bones-
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier, running was not an option. Once the weight came off, no more joint pain! Miracle right?!? I would say that you should not do any exercise that causes the wrong kind of pain. Just wait, before you know it, you'll be running!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Yes, the main point is you are out there and doing a 5k. Try some running maybe a few minutes. You know you can walk from any point where you stop running. I have been doing the Galloway method run a minute walk a minute and keep repeating till you finish. I am never going to win any prizes but I am out there running and training. So enjoy your 5k this weekend. You will be out there with many like minded people enjoying the day and getting in a good workout.
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My friend uses the walk/run technique (some walking some running according to what her body tells her she needs to do)....and it helped her finish her first marathon.

Good luck! Let us know how you did! :flowerforyou: