Diet Coke Addiction

Options

Replies

• candi743
    candi743 Posts: 5
    Options
    I know exactly what you are going through!!! If I didn't have diet Pepsi I would get a severe headache that would last all day and night. I have now been drinking Fuze Slenderize and Fuze empower. They are GREAT!! They help with the headaches some also. Just keep trying and the headaches will go away.
  • kayovercomer
    Options
    I had to respond to this. I have what I
    consider a real Diet Coke addiction, in that
    if I want it, nothing stops me from getting one. How sad is that? Ten years ago I quit
    a 2 pack a day cigarette habit but this is worse.
    I'm not sure why but it is. I have cut down,
    from 2 2 liters a day to one glass. Don't think that wasn't brutal. I hate that I've let this become something I lost control over but it is.
    If I don't have it in the house, and I'm out driving around, I stop wherever there is a fountain so I can control the ice!

It's not funny though. I know it's horrible
    for my health and that it is a diuretic thereby making me have to drink even more water which is what I should be drinking in the first place. The headaches don't bother me by going cold turkey because I know they are temporary (the blood vessels no longer constricted) but for whatever reason, even if I've succeeded I always find myself going back to it. So it's something I'm still struggling with.

I consider an addiction as anything we don't need to exist, but will do anything to have. For me,
    it's Diet Coke.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I am also addicted to Diet Coke. I have two 24 ounce bottles a day. I would like to have more but I make myself stop. I drink a lot of water and crystal light, I may just be that I have to be drinking all the time. I have given up Diet Coke before, but I just keep on coming back to it. Doen't help that my husband is worse than me.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people have suggested cold turkey, but if that doesn't work for you, here's something else you could try. When my mom quit drinking diet Coke, she bought the little cans (6oz, I think). When she could feel the headache start to come on, she would have one mini-can, but only if the headache started. Each day she would drink less and less of the little can of diet Coke to get rid of the headache. It took her about a week, but eventually the headaches quit, and she didn't drink anymore.

However, if you really can't control your intake once you get started, this might not work.
  • aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options
    Wow! I can't believe how many others feel the same! I should say, as one other poster mentioned, my "drug" has to be delivered a certain way as well. It has to be a can. I tried 2 liters so I could just pour a small glass and try to control it and it's just not the same. I will drink from a plastic bottle if I have no other options but it doesn't kill the beast as well as the can does.

I think I am going to try buying the little cans and only allowing myself a few per day and wean down. That was a great suggestion. I am just going to have to fight the urge to have more. Thanks!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    My response might not be a good one but I have been thinking of giving up my aspertame habit for a long time. I have had times where I drink "diet" everything all day or at least a little bit of Crystal light in a water bottle to just flavor it a bit.

What I am thinking of doing and wondering if anyone else out there has tried it is stevia.

They even have a soda called Zevia.

What do you all think?
  • pyckse
    pyckse Posts: 84
    Options
    I have been off of diet coke for about 9 months and the think that helped me was to slowly wean myself down....I was drinking 88 oz of diet coke a day, I dropped to 44oz a day for about a week, then to 32oz, 16oz and then just stopped and started drinking tea.
    I drink tea only in the mornings (I don't like coffee) and it's usually on around 16-24 oz...
    YES, the headaches came, but with Tylenol or Advil I was able to get thru the toughest part...now I can't even stand the taste of diet coke and I was able to get the worst offender on the planted to quit drinking it......MY HUSBAND- he's been a diabetic for over 30 years and thought that diet coke was the only thing he could drink!!!! So if my husband can quit such an addiction, I believe anyone can....
    take all the great advice everyone has given you and I hope it helps!!!!
    You can kick this habit!! H20 is the way to go!!!!! Good Luck!!!!
  • aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options
    I quit!!! At least I hope I have! I have been diet coke free for 24 hours. My hubby flew from Houston to Dubai to Iraq a few days ago and I cried so hard I made myself sick! I've been home sick from work with this horrible head/chest cold and all I wanted was water. I think I was so sick that the withdrawl headaches didn't really bother me, my whole body hurt too much to notice.

I will say, I already feel better. Still have a little of the cold going on but overall, I feel so much better, more calm and just better...hard to explain. Obviously that could have more to do with things besides the diet coke but I really think not having it helped, a lot.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    it does help to quit putting that junk in your body
    enjoy the dietcokefree you:smile:
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I thought about posting this in nutrition but since there is no value in diet coke, I thought better of it.

I sincerely believe I am addicted to diet coke. I also am quite sure it is a major contributing factor to eating bad foods. I've read about the conection between artificial sweetners and the brain craving actual sweets and that may be part of it but also, it's one of my comfort food companions. Pizza, spaghetti, any form of junk food, pretty much anything with a high GI must be eaten with diet coke. There are days when 100% of my hydration comes from diet coke. I also think it's making my skin look icky, just tired.

I have started drinking more water and everyday I try not to drink diet coke, though I always end up with a killer headache and cave. I've tried tea to compensate for the caffiene, no luck. I don't like coffee.

Have any of you had this experience? Any tips on how to break this habit?

TIA
    Amy

cold turkey and aspirin.....quit the soda, take aspirin for the withdrawal,,,,,you will be totally amazed how much better you feel and how much more energy you will have when you quit giving that crap to your body....it takes 4-7 days to get over it and then it gets better..
    good luck
    Dave

Yep! Tis true! I am a recently reformed Diet Coke-aholic. I don't touch the stuff now (or any other artificial sweetener) and I cannot believe the difference in how I feel and energy level. I pretty much drink only water and green tea. You can do it! :drinker:
  • Kimono
    Options
    My question is to all the Diet Cokaholics, Did you like plain water at all before? And if not how long did it take before you just wanted plain water? Do you drink bottled water or just filtered water? I long Diet Coke and Crystal Light or other flavored zero calorie water. I am thinking about giving it up but I am not sure if I could do it.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    My question is to all the Diet Cokaholics, Did you like plain water at all before? And if not how long did it take before you just wanted plain water? Do you drink bottled water or just filtered water? I long Diet Coke and Crystal Light or other flavored zero calorie water. I am thinking about giving it up but I am not sure if I could do it.

one of the things that helped me was drinking seltzer water,,,.just carbonated water with lemon...I really like perrier when it is on sale at costco but the generic seltzer water from the grocer works when I put it on ice......amazing how much more energy you have without the chemicals of the soda
  • greysweatshirt
    Options

one of the things that helped me was drinking seltzer water,,,.just carbonated water with lemon...I really like perrier when it is on sale at costco but the generic seltzer water from the grocer works when I put it on ice......amazing how much more energy you have without the chemicals of the soda

This is a good idea! They also have at the grocery store I shop at some flavored carbonated water. It has the "fizz" of a soda, but not all of the chemicals. Definitely something to look into!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I quit!!! At least I hope I have! I have been diet coke free for 24 hours. My hubby flew from Houston to Dubai to Iraq a few days ago and I cried so hard I made myself sick! I've been home sick from work with this horrible head/chest cold and all I wanted was water. I think I was so sick that the withdrawl headaches didn't really bother me, my whole body hurt too much to notice.

I will say, I already feel better. Still have a little of the cold going on but overall, I feel so much better, more calm and just better...hard to explain. Obviously that could have more to do with things besides the diet coke but I really think not having it helped, a lot.

I am so sad to hear about how much you are grieving and to be sick on top of it (probably sick because of it). :brokenheart: I pray that your husband is safe and will return to you soon. :flowerforyou:

Donna
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    Oh, something else that might be helpful..if there is a local health food store in your area, they may sell an "all-natural" cola. The one near me sells one called "China Cola." It looks and tastes like coke, but it is made with natural herbs. That might help you get over the hump.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I gave up all soda for Lent and have felt horrible ever since.
    Not that I don't agree with you guys.... but I have been BLAH ever since... and I only drank it on weekends before Lent.
  • Shadowpaws
    Shadowpaws Posts: 109
    Options
    I'm also an addict. Diet coke mostly... but I'm drinking a diet pepsi as I speak. :ohwell:

I think the most I've gone without either is a day... then the caffeine headaches start. :sick:
  • Kimono
    Options
    I just figured out that if my hubby and I quit Diet Coke and Crystal Light we would save at least 200 bucks a month. He is drinking 99 ounces a day! He says he can quit no problem. I wish I had that confidence. I think I will have to do a gradual cut back. I am currently drinking two 24 ounce bottles a day. One in the morning one after lunch. And 75% of the water I drink if flavored like Crystal Light, propel, G2 kind of stuff. How long should I give myself to get off of all this stuff???

And for those of you who drink tea, what kind do you like? Are you drinking hot or cold?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    I just figured out that if my hubby and I quit Diet Coke and Crystal Light we would save at least 200 bucks a month. He is drinking 99 ounces a day! He says he can quit no problem. I wish I had that confidence. I think I will have to do a gradual cut back. I am currently drinking two 24 ounce bottles a day. One in the morning one after lunch. And 75% of the water I drink if flavored like Crystal Light, propel, G2 kind of stuff. How long should I give myself to get off of all this stuff???

And for those of you who drink tea, what kind do you like? Are you drinking hot or cold?

OMG ...I actually wish I was you becuase if you quit...you will get that super good feeling that I now take for granted sometimes,.,,,you will be so happy if you quit

I like apple spice tea and green tea witha dop of honey

plus the $$$ ...you can go on a super vacation after a year!!!
  • Kimono
    Options
    Ok so the Green Tea that they sell in the store-the diet stuff from Lipton-does that have artificial sweetners in it??