Lifters? I lost the fat...now ready to gain muscle

Options
I *finally* reached my goal weight today. (Yippee!!) Now, I want to focus on building muscle. I have read The New Rules of Lifting For Women and am currently working on that program. I love it and am excited about it, so I don't want any new routines. I've been told that I need to eat excess calories to help build muscle. I understand that my weight will go up once I start to gain muscle (which takes a long time), but I'm terrified to up my calories. I don't want to gain any fat....just muscle.

Any lifters out there have any advice? I already know that I need to keep my eating as clean as possible (and today's food choices have been wretched), but what else do I need to do? I have my macros set at 40/30/30. Again, I'm TERRIFIED to up my calories. I guess I'm just looking for some experienced people to chime in. Thanks in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Not sure what to say, you're just going to have to get over it if you want to gain muscle.
  • bamazav
    bamazav Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Take it slow and be patient. Rather than using some calculator to tell you how many cals you need. Add 200 calories for a week or two and watch results. If things do not change bump up a bit more. Don't be in a hurry to add mass, go slow and keep the fat off.

Oh, congrats on reaching your goal. Keep up the great work.
  • HGChao
    HGChao Posts: 23
    Options
    Eat a lot of low fat protein....chicken, tuna, etc.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Not sure what to say, you're just going to have to get over it if you want to gain muscle.

Yep basically this, losing weight is easy, its gaining LBM that is hard.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Take the plunge. You gain fat when you gain muscle, just like you lose muscle when you lose fat. Its apart of the territory. BUT you shouldn't be afraid. The results are definitely worthwile. I'm about 10 lbs heavier than my lowest weight (before I start new rules of lifting) but I have more strength, definition, and wear the EXACT same size. Now I"m working on cutting down my body fat percentage.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Great congrats on hitting your goal weight.

But I wish people didn't wait until they lowered their weight to start lifting. They could have used some of their fat stores while lifting.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I agree with upping your calories 150-200 per day of mostly PROTEIN. When I started lifting and training, my weight loss slowed significantly, but I lost a size and I lost inches. It sounds cliche but its absolutely true. Its disheartening to not see the scale move or see it move UP - but if you clothes fit the same way, or you start losing inches, you are doing the right thing.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    You'll gain some fat. However, since you are also building muscle, the fat will seem to appear in the right places because your muscle will lift and sculpt your body.
  • Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have clarified....I have been lifting while I was losing weight. I don't need/want to lose any more weight, but I would like to be a little stronger. :smile:
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options

But I wish people didn't wait until they lowered their weight to start lifting. They could have used some of their fat stores while lifting.

Exactly! Instead of trying to get "skinny fat" first, then gaining the muscle...you're better off lifting right away and doing cardio to reshape your body and tighten up.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options

Yep, plus you'll build some strength and don't have to start from square one when you start building muscle.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options

Very true, i look my best at 10%bf but i make the most progress at ~16%
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yep, like others have said - the calories that you DO add back, make it all from protein sources. :) Good luck and congrats!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i love NROLFW (stage 4 right now)!!!! I have gained about 5 lbs since starting BUT i'm down 4% body fat and 2 pants sizes (dont remember the inches off hand). I look SMALLER.

I freaked out when starting the program because I didnt know how much i needed to eat. My body eventually told me that around 1700 net is good while lifting so i try to stick around there. I zig-zag my calories (more on lifting or running days, less on rest days) but i dont really count calories anymore...i just eat when i'm hungry. See how you feel for a week or so at a certain amount then adjust accordingly. Never weigh in the day after lifting---the scale will be mean.

Other than that, clean food is best (I follow the paleo/primal diet). Protein is very important...i eat about 35% protein, 30% carbs (less if possible...no more than 150 g a day max) and 35% fat (fat is not bad for you if you eat good oils like olive, coconut, etc and nuts, avocados, etc.)

Good luck!

my stage 1 comparison pics: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AggieCass09/view/nrolfw-stage-1-update-155240
    the scale lies: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AggieCass09/view/proof-the-scale-lies-150448
    what free-ed me from eating too little: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/ <-- she also eats paleo
  • TGIBriday83
    TGIBriday83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    add new exercises and increase the weight you're using. As for calories, feel free to add more to what you're currently doing. Just remember where you're getting the calories is more important than the number of calories. As someone already said, lean proteins are your friend
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Congrats on hitting your weight goal!

All I can say is get over the fear. For most of us mere mortals it is almost inevitable to put on some fat while bulking. Who cares? We know how to lose weight. That's the easy part. Just bulk for a while, then dip back into calorie deficit. No big deal.

Make sure you get around 1g of protein per lb of body weight, and somewhere around .35-.5g of fat. Fill in the rest however you like. These are ballpark numbers. Don't obsess over it.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I am starting New Rules on Monday...make a group???
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Eat a lot of low fat protein....chicken, tuna, etc.

WTG OP! Congrats! ^^That won't make a diff. (the fat content that is). Excess is excess and excess is stored as fat. I'm not saying to eat a greasy burger lol but eating low fat protein ie lean meats will not prevent one from gaining some fat while bulking. While building muscle one will have to gain some fat too. I would suggest that you have some fun with the bodybuilder.com website it is a great source of info! I understand your fear. I bulk and cut in short phases as opposed to 3-4 month phases and it's worked well for me. It's taken a LOT longer but that is OK with me because I'm not in a race to the finish. Anyhow, good luck!