Too much protein

Options
Is it bad to eat too much protein? On my daily food record it shows I am eating more protein than they show I should.

Replies

• MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    No. The setting on this site is pretty low anyway!! :)
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options

I set mine to over 130. It depends on what you are trying to achieve.
  • bodyjammin85
    bodyjammin85 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am the same, filling my protein quota before i've had dinner! There's only so much protein that your body can absorb at one time so as long as your intake is spread out then it might be ok.
  • cravejourney
    Options
    I agree with MaggieMay. I set mine at 40% protein, 30% carb 30% fat
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    how many grams are you eating? My goal is 99g and with that and my fiber my appetite is completely under control. Remember your either eating carbs fat or protein.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    When weight training, you need 2g/kg lean body mass (roughly 1g/pound). 2.5g (~1.25g/pound) if cutting (both rules of thumb, not mystical scientific constants, heh). There is no real health downside to eating more than that, but it tends to cause digestive problems.
  • PeggysDad
    PeggysDad Posts: 105
    Options
    I'm weight training so am eating 160+ grams of protein every day.

Don't worry about it.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

I set mine to over 130. It depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Same here. I struggle hitting it sometimes but that's my goal!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat, that is where its at. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I fill up on protein and fats and then carbs are from green leafy vegetables. I feel awesome and never hungry.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    It honestly depends on the person. Generally speaking, high amounts of protein isn't a bad thing, but if you have kidney problems it may be hard for your body to process and could be harmful.

Rule of thumb I have heard many times over....You should consume .5g to 1g of protein for every pound you weigh.

Since I have kidney issues, I tend to stay around the MFP recommended amount of 50g which is still within the range of what trainers say to consume.
  • sandyt627
    Options
    I drink a lot of Optimum protein shakes (SO good, and low carb!!), so I'm almost always over my "goal". The numbers for protein intake are pretty low on here, and I'd rather have more protein than more fat or carbs!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options

You're welcome. :)

I prefer to see what doctors say about these issues rather than rely on others, no offense to anyone. I can spout my own perspectives on all these issues, but at the end of the day, I'm not a doctor. Seems that the information in that link, however, is common knowledge for docs (though Atkins might disagree, I don't know.)
  • Nattiejean57
    Nattiejean57 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have to eat a diet high in protein and lower in carbs for medical reasons so mine is set at 50% protien 30% carbs 20% fat per my doctors advice

I would like to add about the protein overload article, I personally feel (And mind you I am no expert) That if you are smrt about where you are getting your protein you should be ok. I get most of mine from chicken, protein powder and fish not red meat.

But everyone's nutritional need are different
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    you are likely not eating enough.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    you are likely not eating enough.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Nah, the default protein setting on here is really low. Mine's set at 240g a day and some days I go over that. I ate over 320g protein on Tuesday out of fluke.

I wouldn't worry, it's really hard to accidentally get too much protein.