Strength training

Options
I've been doing nothing but cardio exercises to get my weight down. I'm trying to find out when is the right time to incorporate strength and weight training?

Replies

• JaimeBrown5
    Options
    Now.
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Now is the correct answer!
    You can do both, just ease into it
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've been doing nothing but cardio exercises to get my weight down. I'm trying to find out when is the right time to incorporate strength and weight training?

Anytime! However, start off easy and do a little at a time. If you are 35 of older, I suggest visiting your doctor to let him/her know that you are starting on this, and what recommendations they have in regards to your health.

You will be sore for a couple of days after your first weight session. Let your body recover, so do a session and then take at least a day, if not two, to recover. Some people say to focus on upper or lower body and core separately. I operate under the school of whole body sessions, but I am not bulking up - I focus on strength conditioning for injury prevention (mostly around running).

Start light on the weights, do 10-15 reps over two sets. As you start to condition your muscles and feel comfortable, start to increase your weight. Rule of thumb - heavy weight and lower reps increases bulk, lower weight higher rep builds strength and stamina.
  • ahaynes
    ahaynes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thank you for all of the advice!!!! I appreciate it.:smile::smile:
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Yesterday. Seriously, you should have incorporated strength training at the beginning of your weight loss journey. Best of luck!