Banish Belly Fat with Almonds

Options

Replies

• shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Dropping wheat worked for me tummy now 14" smaller! and 34lbs lost. (still got a bit of tummy left to lose!)

I am sorry, dropping wheat?

dropping it from my diet.. ie wheat/gluten free! .. guess i must have a mild intolerance or something but its definitely worked for me.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Running a lot helped me banish my belly fat.
  • bloodguilt
    Options
    Go Nuts on Your Diet!
    Peanuts, almonds and more are good -- and good for you

By Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD, LD
    WebMD Weight Loss Clinic - Expert Column

Many weight-conscious people shudder at the idea of nuts as part of a healthy diet. For years, dieters have shunned nuts because of their high fat content. Well, you can forget everything you ever heard about nuts, and delight in knowing they are now considered health food! The key to including the great taste of nuts in a healthy diet without overdoing the fat and calories is portion control.

Even the government is leaning toward allowing a health claim on food packages touting the nutritious benefits of nuts. The Food and Drug Administration is now reviewing a proposal that would allow foods containing nuts to carry this label: "Diets containing one ounce of nuts per day can reduce your risk of heart disease."

An Ounce of Prevention

Several studies over the past several years have shown the health benefits of nuts -- which contain monounsaturated fat, vitamin E, folic acid, magnesium, copper, protein, and fiber, and are rich in antioxidant phytochemicals.

They are a powerhouse of good nutrition that can dramatically reduce the risk of heart disease. They've also been shown to play an important role in helping to lower "bad" cholesterol levels and raise "good" cholesterol levels. In addition, they can help dilate blood vessels and prevent hardening of the arteries.

In the Nurses Health Study, which followed 86,016 nurses for 14 years, found those who ate 5 ounces or more of nuts per week reduced their risk of dying from heart disease by 35%. The researchers also noted that the nut-eaters tended to weigh less than the nurses who did not eat nuts.

Dieter's Dream Come True

To find a food that is delicious, nutritious and filling is a dieter's dream come true. Dieters who eat nuts tend to stick to their diets because the fat and fiber content of nuts makes them very filling. As a result, they are not as hungry and ultimately eat less.

Several studies have found that eating small amounts of nuts helps dieters lose weight. One psychological benefit noted in a study done by Pennsylvania State researchers was that dieters did not feel like they were dieting when nuts were allowed in their eating plans -- which helped them stay on their diets longer.

So here's some food for thought for all our WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Are nuts in your eating plan? If not, consider creating a new plan and indicate your preference for nuts or peanut butter on the questionnaire. This will result in an eating plan that includes nuts without extra calories.

Nuts might be considered health food, but that's not a license to overindulge. When you add nuts to your diet, you add calories along with the health benefits. So it's important to decrease calories from other sources to avoid weight gain. Our program prescribes nuts within the context of a healthy diet to give you the health benefits without the extra calories.

A one-ounce serving of nuts contains between 160 and 200 calories, most of which come from the heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. Nuts are also very high in dietary fiber, and are one of the best plant sources of protein.

Most nuts are consumed on their own, by the handful, which can be dangerous. This is the kind of food that often leads to "eating amnesia" --- hand to mouth without much thought -- and can easily lead to consuming lots of extra calories.

Avoid mindless eating by pre-portioning your nuts in small bags for a great snack to take on the go or to the office. Choose nuts in the shell and you'll probably eat fewer since it takes time to crack them. Or take one handful and put the package away.

Your goal is to eat nuts instead of other sources of fat like cakes, cookies, or chips. You won't feel deprived when you top your apple or celery slices with peanut butter!

"Nuts are very high in dietary fiber, and are one of the best plant sources of protein"

Peanuts, Almonds: Go Nuts on Your Diet! (cont.)

Tweet
    Here are some ways to add healthy "nut" fat to your diet:

Top hot or cold cereal with nuts for a nourishing breakfast.
    Sprinkle almonds on top of yogurt.
    Add peanuts to nonfat frozen yogurt.
    Use fat-free salad dressing and add nuts to your salads.
    Use nuts to replace croutons in salads or soups.
    Bring pasta to life by sprinkling it with chopped nuts.
    Remember that slivered almonds do wonders with everything from chicken to desserts.
    Add nuts to bread, pancakes, waffles, or muffins.
    Mix nuts into lite cream cheese for a delicious spread.
    Add nuts to popcorn for a tasty snack.
    Add great flavor to steamed veggies with a handful of nuts.
    Toast nuts to enhance the flavor. Bake for 5-10 minutes in a 350-degree oven
    How Calories in Nuts Add Up

A small handful of nuts is about 1 ounce. Here's how many calories that will add up to for various types of nuts:

Dry roasted peanuts, regular (30 nuts) 170
    Dry roasted peanuts, unsalted (30 nuts) 160
    Cocktail peanuts (30 nuts) 170
    Honey-roasted peanuts (30) 150
    Almonds (24) 160
    Brazil nuts (7) 170
    Cashews (20) 170
    Walnuts (14) 180
    Pistachios, shelled (47) 170
    Pecans (20 halves) 190
    Macadamia nuts (11) 200
    Eating as little as one ounce of nuts per day can provide you with all the health benefits. So do it, go nuts!
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    Belly dancing gets rid of belly fat
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

Not on most of the belly dancers I've seen.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    In a recent poll, 65% of people surveyed believe that 75% of statistics are false or misleading. 4 out of 5 doctors agree.

people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that.

^^I get paid to do this lol

I'm quite certain there is a degree of confounding factor in play here. Almonds or other nuts tend to be comsumed by health/weight conscience individuals. Also, nuts aren't cheap, so they are more likely consumed by individual of a higher socioeconomic status. Both groups tend to have lower rates of obesity and thus smaller bellies.

**Takes Statistician Hat off**
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Almonds, and other nuts like walnuts, are a healthy source of fat... but, they are a fat source.

Eating "a few" .. i.e., an ounce, carefully weighed out, sounds like a reasonable facet of an eating plan. Eating a sack of them every day, not so much.

I prefer my nuts raw.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    The problem I eat too much almonds!
    Maybe I can buy little 1 serving package to see if I can control myself better.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Dang!! I eat 2 servings of Almonds a day and have for the last couple years... I should be sporting a 6-pack by now!!! lol.........
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

You can't spot reduce through exercise or diet.
  • cathynicolette
    cathynicolette Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    In a recent poll, 65% of people surveyed believe that 75% of statistics are false or misleading. 4 out of 5 doctors agree.

68% of all statistics are made up on the fly. :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Triggers 50 percent MORE fat loss around your middle. Helps block diabetes, too!

GO NUTS! and lose 62 percent more weight and 50 percent more inches off your waistline!

A test group that ate a few almonds each day experienced accelerated weight loss. They lost 62 percent more weight than another group that consumed the same number of calories.

They also lost 50 percent more off their waistlines and 56 percent more of their fat mass.

Research Almonds

I'm eating a few everyday....
    Where's the peer review study? I like almonds a lot and just want to see the study on it. Not a blog or article, but a peer reviewed clinical study. Thanks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Aperture_Science
    Options
    [/quote]

I'm quite certain there is a degree of confounding factor in play here. Almonds or other nuts tend to be comsumed by health/weight conscience individuals. Also, nuts aren't cheap, so they are more likely consumed by individual of a higher socioeconomic status. Both groups tend to have lower rates of obesity and thus smaller bellies.

[/quote]

Love this post. Cause or effect. Similar to your post there have been several studies that indicate that brushing your teeth twice a day reduces your chances of getting cancer, but people who brush twice a day are also more likely to eat well and exercise. Similar issues are found in "some" (not all) studies that claim drinking small quantities of red wine improves health, in some of these studies the participants were not completely randomised: Red wine drinkers are a small subset of the population in general and European ( especially the French) are quite different to US red wine drinkers.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You're telling me I can banish belly fat by eating almonds?!?!?! Sweet, time to go by a few pounds for the day!
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    only thing that gets rid of belly fat that fast is a tummy tuck... while i'm saving up for it though i'm eating a few almonds here and there:P
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

This post wins the thread.
  • Aperture_Science
    Options
    If the solution to obesity could be something as simple as a daily dose of almonds, in the UK at least, they would be given away for free. The UK national health bill is massive and obesity accounts for a fair chunk of that cost. The financial hit of giving away free nuts would quite simply pay back in healthcare costs 10 times over.

So, if we have peer reviewed scientific data, published in a reputable publication lets take a look. We could save millions of lives and improve the quality of countless more.
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Triggers 50 percent MORE fat loss around your middle. Helps block diabetes, too!

GO NUTS! and lose 62 percent more weight and 50 percent more inches off your waistline!

A test group that ate a few almonds each day experienced accelerated weight loss. They lost 62 percent more weight than another group that consumed the same number of calories.

They also lost 50 percent more off their waistlines and 56 percent more of their fat mass.

Research Almonds

I'm eating a few everyday....
    Where's the peer review study? I like almonds a lot and just want to see the study on it. Not a blog or article, but a peer reviewed clinical study. Thanks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm sorry I was reading the story today found it very interesting and shared it with others not sure what site I was on, nor will I try to find it again just not that important to me.... I think you are Pinoy and my wife is Pinoy from Cebu.... Hi there!!!
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    The problem I eat too much almonds!
    Maybe I can buy little 1 serving package to see if I can control myself better.

I'm just going to eat 3 r 4 a day and see what happens..I'll test it out...
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    One thing I know for sure is they sure make me poo.....