um, please tell me exercise postpones your period...

Options
Because I should have had mine by now, actually, it should have come and gone by now. But I just started really exercising for the first time in a long time about 3 weeks ago, could that be throwing me off?

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    It can, you won't lose your period unless you drop to something very low like 4%
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Or maybe you are preggers.
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    Sometimes a change in activity levels can definitely change your scheduled TOM, but I would do a home test just to be sure. In the mean time, be careful and take all precautions as if you were pregnant.

(no alcohol, smoking, medications, etc....)
  • BrandiParsonRNC
    BrandiParsonRNC Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It seems like I've heard that! if not, uh oh! job security coming my way! (lol, my profession is preggos)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Stress can delay ovulation which in turn can delay your period, if you just significantly increased the intensity at which you exercise it may be possible that your body interpretted that as 'stress' and that you delayed your ovulation. Since you're expecting your period right about now and you started the exercise 3 weeks ago, that puts you starting shortly before or right when you would have expected to ovulate so, maybe. Or yeah you could be pregnant. The Dollar Tree has $1 pregnancy tests that are just as accurate as the more expensive brands, if you want to check. :-) (I like to stock up on several so I don't have to make a trip just for 1 little $1 purchase.)

P.S. I'm not a medical professional, so you know, feel free to see one if you are concerned. :-)
  • carolynyeo
    carolynyeo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started boot camp three times a week and zumba twice a week last fall and couch to 5k and did not get my period for two months. Nothing wrong, not pregnant and according to my doctor very normal for someone who jumps into exercise the way I did, rather than easing your way into something. According to her it is also way to hurt yourself as well....:) Lesson learned.
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I think it's just your body trying to adjust to the shock of suddenly being so physically active. :-)

(I can say that, because I already took a pregnancy test. LMAO.)
  • ItsJustK
    ItsJustK Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Pee on a stick, and you'll know the answer.
  • mkam1980
    mkam1980 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I think it's just your body trying to adjust to the shock of suddenly being so physically active. :-)

LOL- I took one too.
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    I had heard it either way ... if you're regular, it can throw your cycle off and if you're irregular, it can regulate your cycle.

For me, mine was delayed because [insert profile photo here].

Lol.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Might have slipped one past the goalie...
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    It certainly can, as can stress.

When I had the Mirena, and barely had my period at all, I bought pregnancy tests from the dollar store and kept them in my bathroom cabinet. I knew that I probably wasn't pregnant when I took one, but just seeing the negative sign made me happy!
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Only if the exercise was "mattress push-ups"!
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    Same here.. Been 2 months now and ...thank gawd not pg! I already have 4 boys 17- 2yrs..Im done with that!

LOL- I took one too.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Might have slipped one past the goalie...

lmfao that's exactly what i was thinking...but more like through the goal posts lol
  • TNTwedell
    TNTwedell Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat - and was just reminding myself this morning that everytime i work out a lot (after a hiatus) i am always "off".
    I expect it now :)
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Exercise, particularly running can throw your period off. I haven't had mine in 6 months. No I am not pregnant or underweight. Been to the Dr. hormones are normal and they said it is either stress or the amount I exercise. If you don't get it soon see a dr. to make sure there are no hormonal issues