Monday's Oprah

Options
So this is my admission that I know very little about the English Monarchy. On Oprah she had on the castle employees, WOW what a crew. But here's my discussion topic...I had NO idea the Queen was married!! Can someone explain why he is a Duke and not the King of England? LOL at myself.

Replies

• jenszoo
    jenszoo Posts: 19
    Options
    So this is my admission that I know very little about the English Monarchy. On Oprah she had on the castle employees, WOW what a crew. But here's my discussion topic...I had NO idea the Queen was married!! Can someone explain why he is a Duke and not the King of England? LOL at myself.
  • AmyBrenn
    AmyBrenn Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My guess is that the queen's family is the royal family and he married into it. She was given the thrown after the death of her father, making her queen. When she dies, Charles will become king. Since she's the queen, they didn't want to call him a king, because a king is higher than a queen. Does that make sense? He's not in charge, she is.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Why does the British government allow this nonsense to continue? They are figureheads with no real power whatsoever. Why so many people are fascinated by the "Royals" is beyond me!
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Queen Victoria was married as well but her husband was not the king. He was considered of too low a rank to be king and was therefore titled the 'prince consort'. So, I imagine it's a similar situation with Queen Elizabeth II.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    A king "out ranks" a queen. Therefore he is Prince Philip. He will never be on the throne, The next in lne is prince Charles ( the oldest son)