working out at gym!

Options
so when your working out at the gym, and it makes you enter your weight in the equipment and then it tells you how many calories you burn...why does mfp say a different number, like yesterday i worked out on the elliptical and burned 200 calories it said and then on mfp it says i burned 250...what # do you guys go by?

Replies

• galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    so when your working out at the gym, and it makes you enter your weight in the equipment and then it tells you how many calories you burn...why does mfp say a different number, like yesterday i worked out on the elliptical and burned 200 calories it said and then on mfp it says i burned 250...what # do you guys go by?

MFP just guesstimates but they don't factor in how hard you're working. If your machine has an HRM at the gym it's probably more accurate. A lot of people use HRM's that they buy themselves to get a more accurate count :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    go with the lesser number for now, until you get your own HRM.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Does your machine at the gym factor in your weight, height, gender, and heart rate level? If not - it's a "guesstimate." MFP's figure is also a "guesstimate" but MFP does have your weight, height & gender. Some people will use an average.