Working out with Knee Problems

I have had 2 knee surgeries, due to a basketball injury, and now struggle with arthritis in my knee. I have found it difficult to run as the impact on my knee is just too much pain to endure (and i have a larger tolerance for pain).

I've been mainly bouncing between a stationary bike & walking (an average of 60 minutes a day at a moderate pace). I understand swimming is also very good for working out with a bad knee but just dont have access to a pool at the moment. Every once and a while I'll find a good dance workout video and spend about 45-60 minutes doing that just to switch it up.

I was wondering if the weight loss is possible just continuing on these low impact workouts and continuing to calorie county, etc.?

I've seen 6 lbs of weight loss in 2-3 weeks but I'm wondering if that will continue if i am unable to run...

Thanks for any and all suggestions/help.

Replies

• I too had a knee injury last year. Althogh my injury wasnt as bad as yours and didnt require surgery, I did have therapy for 7 weeks following. My therapist decided to have me walk on the treadmill backwards. It helped. I started off at a slow pace and slowly over time would add a little more speed. I now go about 40 min, 3 miles an hour and recently started to add an incline. i'm burning caleries and working my hips at the same time. Feels weird at first but I actually like it. I dont even hold on anymore. Give it a try.