How do i stop eating?

Does anybody have any good tips? I'm only in day 2 and I am STARVING! I made it under my calorie goal for today but goodness! What kind of snacks and meals can I eat that would be low in calories but put a dent in my appetite?

Replies

• TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Try making your diary public so we can see what you eat
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 619 Member
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Get someone to punch you in the jaw hard enough to break it. Go to the hospital, they'll wire it shut. Then you'll do nothing but drink liquids for awhile.

Obviously I'm kidding!

Drink lots of water if you don't already. Tea and coffee both help cut my appetite some, but not enough. You can of course always do enough exercise to earn extra calories so you can eat more.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member

^^ This -- it's hard to give advice if one can't see what you are consuming :)
  • leannamichelle
    leannamichelle Posts: 35 Member
    Drinking lots of water helps me. Also, popcorn with garlic (it's really good. I promise!)
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    eat foods high in protein, keeps you fuller for longer and eat lots and lots of veggies

also, workout a lot so you can earn back some more calories!
  • paul7799
    paul7799 Posts: 98 Member
    I'm not perfect on here but I log everything. If go over my goal, it's logged for all to see. For me I'll see the numbers on what I eat really costs me and feel so bad about it eventually the hunger goes. It's sort of ended the late night, fastfood taco bell runs. The shame!

Don't get discouraged. It just takes time and you look fantastic already.
  • Lady_Lamb
    Lady_Lamb Posts: 103 Member
    I agree with drinking a ton of water. I was so hungry in the beginning, but then I started drinking 10 or more cups of water a day. It fills me up. I also try to eat protein at each meal.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Generally (without seeing your diary) go for filling foods like protein and good fats. Try almonds, greek yogurt, grilled chicken breast etc. instead of higher volume but lower cal foods that you'll burn through quickly. It's true that I can eat a whole lot of celery for 150 calories but I'm never going to feel full on it. Whereas I can have a greek yogurt or a piece of chicken for that same calorie amount and be full for hours.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    I love protein smoothies because I can sip on them for over an hour and the protein holds me over better than things like oatmeal or yogurt does.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I agree with the protein and water...I tend to eat less total calories when I get most of my calories from protein, and I drink lots of water too. Sometimes when I think I am hungry, I just drink some water and get my mind off of food. Obviously it doesn't work every time, but sometimes it does.
  • mummy72
    mummy72 Posts: 22
    I'm on 1210 calories per day and trying to make large salads to go with my lunch and dinner - adding tuna and chicken helps with bulking it up.

The more protein I eat the less hungry I get. I have just cut out bread and pasta this week as it makes me want more and more and seems to be preventing any weight loss.

I've got to be honest - I could always eat more, but that's why I'm here.

All the best
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    It gets easier as time goes on..... just make sure you don't have your goals set too low.... nothing kills a diet like hunger.... you can still lose weight and eat.
  • msjones2831
    msjones2831 Posts: 126 Member
    I agree lean protein is helpful. Like turkey, baked/grilled chicken breast without the skin. For snacks I like sugar free pudding. Almonds have good fat and protein. Then I would say distract yourself from eating. For me, I try to limit my eating to meals otherwise I snack too much and go over my calories.
  • The first few days are the hardest. If you can deal with the hunger pangs it will get better.
  • abbbigayl
    abbbigayl Posts: 75 Member
    raw veggies, maybe some hummus to dip it in
    cereal is one of my late night go to's
    pretzels ..not really that great nutritionally but you can eat a bunch for less than 200 calories, also good with hummus
    popcorn, make your own. All you need is popcorn kernels and a paper bag. season with garlic salt or whatever you like (not butter)
    Eat whole grain or whole wheat bread and pastas. Both have more protein than white.
    ....and what people said previously it helps to share your diary when looking for advice so we know what kinds of food you like.
  • My body is adjusting to smaller meals and in-between snacks to help keep my energy level up and to feel fuller throughout the day. I used to be a Diet Coke-a-holic, but switched to only maybe a can or two a week for lunch, and I drink plenty of water, home brewed iced tea and Vitamin Water Zero.

For me, it was also mind over matter. I had to train my brain to pay attention to when I was actually hungry, and not just bored, upset, happy, etc.

I just noticed another forum that posted a list of 100 healthy snacks - hope this helps.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/458040-100-healthy-snacks
  • allehp
    allehp Posts: 96
    water! two glasses before each meal!
    Also...diet soda isn't great for you, but the bubbles fill up your stomach and it's zero cals- great for an emergency!
  • I'm on 1210 calories per day and trying to make large salads to go with my lunch and dinner - adding tuna and chicken helps with bulking it up.

The more protein I eat the less hungry I get. I have just cut out bread and pasta this week as it makes me want more and more and seems to be preventing any weight loss.

I've got to be honest - I could always eat more, but that's why I'm here.

All the best

Have you tried switching to whole wheat instead of cutting it out? Thats what I did so I didn't feel like UGH I CAN'T HAVE PASTA OR SAMMICHES!?
  • RckstrMommy
    RckstrMommy Posts: 8 Member
    My first week I felt hungry all the time but at some point I stopped feeling hungry - I guess my stomach just got used to the 1200 calories a day. I also never deprive myself completely - just lots of portion control and count everything. I.e. instead of bowl of icecream, just eat a spoon full. Instead of a full sandwich, eat it open faced (1 pc of bread).

To get me to the next meal, sometimes I eat a small Slim Jim (yah, not the greatest so far as fat and sodium - but one isnt bad) - that one 40 cal slim jim does wonders.

I also munch on pretzels and carrots.

I also read that almonds do the same thing - they stabilize your blood sugar and fill that hunger until the next meal.

I also read that by adding a little bit of protein to every meal, it wards off hunger longer. I.e. put chicken or nuts in your salad, nuts in your yogurt, Peanut butter on a piece of bread. So far it's worked for me.