What to wear for friends' wedding

Options
Hi girls,

I am having a real hard time finding something to wear at our friends' wedding in 2 weeks, it drives me crazy. I have checked online about rules for clothes at weddings and Im sorry, but it doesnt leave much options. :grumble:

BLACK - cant wear a black dress because it is unsuitable (funeral colour).
RED ( or any other vibrant colour) - cant wear because it catches the attention away from the bride, so they say.

WHITE (also cream and pastels) - is the bride's colour, so I cant wear a white dress of course.

However I was thinking about this outfit:

Pink romantic style top
white knee-length skirt
pink flat shoes
simple jewellery

do you think that is appropriate? considering I am not wearing a dress, but a skirt and nice top? :ohwell:

Replies

• Hanna1983
    Hanna1983 Posts: 251
    Options
    Hi girls,

I am having a real hard time finding something to wear at our friends' wedding in 2 weeks, it drives me crazy. I have checked online about rules for clothes at weddings and Im sorry, but it doesnt leave much options. :grumble:

BLACK - cant wear a black dress because it is unsuitable (funeral colour).
    RED ( or any other vibrant colour) - cant wear because it catches the attention away from the bride, so they say.

WHITE (also cream and pastels) - is the bride's colour, so I cant wear a white dress of course.

However I was thinking about this outfit:

Pink romantic style top
    white knee-length skirt
    pink flat shoes
    simple jewellery

do you think that is appropriate? considering I am not wearing a dress, but a skirt and nice top? :ohwell:
  • ccano
    ccano Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that is completely appropriate!

And I think that whole "black at a wedding" faux pas is a little outdated. My bridesmaids will be wearing black. :) In fact, our colors are black and white with touches of red.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    the only colours forbidden to you are white (or anything closly resembling it) and the bridal colour (you don't want to look like a wannabe bridesmaid.) If it is an evening wedding black is totally acceptable. And red and other vibrant shades are too. Patterns, pastels and neutrals are also fine.

your outfit sounds perfectly fine. White is only not ok when it's all over white. white peices or patterned white are both fine.
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    Thanks,
    I was hoping you would say that. I know that a white dress is a big nono at weddings, but hopefully a white skirt matched with a coloured top is ok. :smile:
    I think black is classy, but I dont want to be the only one turning up in black there so I stay away from that.
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    Hi Kerri

it will be during the day (around lunchtime). do you think I should not wear the white skirt ? :ohwell:

I thought as long as its not a white dress...
  • jk_raven
    jk_raven Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sounds beautiful. I've got a wedding to go to Friday, and I'm in a similar pickle.

I've heard different rules than the ones you found that make picking an outfit a little easier. A little black is OK, just not a completely black outfit. For a Spring wedding, vibrant colors are fine. A white dress is always a no-no, but a white skirt with a colored top is completely acceptable.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Don't wear a bridal gown
  • ccano
    Options
    Hi Kerri

it will be during the day (around lunchtime). do you think I should not wear the white skirt ? :ohwell:

I think the fact that it's a mid-afternoon wedding makes the skirt even more appropriate.
  • nickelmel
    nickelmel Posts: 87
    Options
    I think you're thinking about this WAY too much!! Just dress nicely and you'll be fine. As long as it's not a black tie wedding, anything that is dressed up will work - no matter the color! There is no rule that says you have to wear a dress! Obviously white is out but any other color is fine. A skirt is fine, dress pants are fine. Trust me, no matter what you're wearing everyone is going to be looking at the bride and groom, not you so there's no need to stress over this. Your outfit sounds just fine. :happy:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Hi Kerri

white skirt is fine as long as your top is coloured. and lighter colours tend to work best for afternoon events. so you're right on target. :flowerforyou:
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I agree that anyone can wear black to a wedding these days. "unless you are making a statement and the whole wedding party knows it" And depending on the weather, i think you can wear just about any color , as long as it isn't " your old wedding dress with train and vail included" But if your really unsure, ask the bride. I assume if your going to the wedding you know the bride?
    Have fun and just wear something pretty and comfortable. :smile:
  • ccano
    Options
    I think it's nice though when people have enough tact to put some thought into what they're wearing to a wedding. I know it's not a huge deal, but it's nice that some people think this way.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I agree about not wearing black being outdated.
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! :flowerforyou:

Im really glad that the search is over now that I seem to have found somethign appropriate. :happy:

PS: I wasnt thinking too much about how I will look like (as in what people will think about me), my concern was 100% about not upsetting Lucy (the bride) whith what I will wear on her special day. :smile: