5 AM workouts = lightheaded

Options
I have started working out after I get up, so I'm working out at 5 am. I tried it once before, but because I got so shakey and lightheaded, I stopped. I really want to do early morning workouts, so I started again at 5 am. This time I ate a banana and drank 16 oz. of water before I started. Tuesday I was fine, but this morning it happened again. What can I do to keep this from happening? I may make it a protein shake instead. Any other suggestions would be helpful, thanks!

Replies

• lovinmysoldier
    lovinmysoldier Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was going to recommend maybe something light but a bit more substantial for your body. Try that, if no progress try eating something before bed, like a PB sandwich that will take time to break down and keep your blood sugars from dropping out and still eat something light in the AM. Definitely something you'll have to play around with. Best of luck!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I train at 7am while fasted and get the same way.
    I suggest BCAA mix or a good pre shake!
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    One thought comes to mind: Are you downing those things then immediately working out? Because you need to do a pre-workout snack (some carbs and some protein) far enough in advance to get it into your system. I've heard and hour or more. Which means at least 4 AM. Youch.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    One thought comes to mind: Are you downing those things then immediately working out? Because you need to do a pre-workout snack (some carbs and some protein) far enough in advance to get it into your system. I've heard and hour or more. Which means at least 4 AM. Youch.

Yes, I am, because that is about as early as I can get up. I'm not the best morning person. Of course my military husband says, "That's the way we do it in the Army, you'll be fine." <sigh>
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I train at 7am while fasted and get the same way.
    I suggest BCAA mix or a good pre shake!

I was just going to say take a BCAA powder. The newest one I tried was fruit punch from GNC (may be optimum utrition) and it was good!